1/18 Scale buildings

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 Scale buildings

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:16 pm

Hi-
I was looking at Build-a-Rama's site the other day and saw a really cool German bunker in 1/32 scale. I was wondering why only 1/32 scale? (no offense to our 1/32 guys) Same thing for larger portions of buildings.
So, I emailed the Mark Vuncannon who is in charge of product develpment. Below is my question and his reply:
Razor:
Hi-
I am wondering when your company will come out with a 1:18 scale bunker, 2 story building or corner building.
I see you have such items for 1:32 scale, but not the larger 1:18 scale.
There is a major gap in this kind of item available for the XD 1:18 fan.
21st Century and BBI have not up to this point created many to fill the
void in this area.
I think this would sell in great numbers if made available.

Mark Vuncannon:
Our biggest obstacle when considering
the market of the larger structures is production cost. We only resin cast,
which comes with a higher price tag. A 1:18 two story corner would probably
run between $60-$75. I will most likely give it a try in the next couple of
months. I have the model already built. A bunker wall section is
definitely in future plans. Thanks again for your comments.

Does anybody know how big a company Build-a-Rama is??

I love 21st's Normandy farmhouse, but variety in buildings would be nice.
What do you guys think about this???
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:58 pm

As someone who works in REsin casting also, I can say that until Mark gets into another production form (which is tough when you're a small private company starting out), that he's being completely honest about cost.

Resin production is a lot of work, especially the more complex methods you get into. Mark's production has to be based on what the # of units he'll sell is. In all likelihood he's not projecting that he'll bust the doors open on sales, so he can't afford the injection molding process (VERY expensive, but based on high production and thus a diminished fixed cost per product).

Mark, I'm wagering, does a lot of his work himself, or with a handful of friends/family/possible employees or partners. A huge resin item is a hefty piece that takes a LOT of material to make (the mold and product). It's simply not real cost-effective to do large items. Resin's generally used more (in the toy industry) for prototyping than production. Even the cheapest resins I've found aren't particularly useful for high production, and genearlly the cheaper resins are also poorer quality.

Not to mention that resin work isn't exactly healthy either, and the larger quantities you deal in/work with, the more unhealthy it gets.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

digger

Post by digger » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:05 pm

I have the corner ruin in 1:18 - it's really awesome. It is expensive but is heavy and really a great piece. For a large building I might pay 60 bucks. It would be impressive in any case.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:23 am

If you want buildings, try G-scale trains. For European buildings, look at Pola. yes, those are generally only 1:22.5, but you might find something suitable for backgrounds. There are some in 1:20.3, but these are generally western US in look.

kenhil2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by kenhil2 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:28 am

what about some nam era buildings, little cement bunkers, or some hootches, gaurd tower, i wouldnt think those would be as expensive, since they wouldnt be as large
...ken

Semper Fi

"if you haven't been there, shut the f@#k up"

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

1/18 pillbox / bunker

Post by red69charger » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:01 am

I made and sold solid resin 1/18 German pillboxes a few years ago under the company name Battle Ready. They had a seperate door piece and a removable roof and came completely finished including wood and debris on roof to prevent aerial sighting. They held 3 kneeling figures.

What the previous guys have said holds true. There is simply not a good volume to be sold for the price a garage manufacturer can handle. I made them because I wanted to have several of them for wargaming and thought I would sell a few more since I took all the time to produce it already. I sold a few to online members and I was very upfront with everyone when we sold them ... the material cost to me alone at the time(excluding silicone molds and my time and expertise) was $45. Figure in a couple of hours to paint, weather, and add the moss, logs, dirt, bushes, rocks, etc. and I priced them at $90. Not too many people are willing to shell out that kind of money for a building and I was hardly getting rich in the process. It was more of a labor of love.

A while back there was another garage company, der Kitbashe, making beautiful, damaged buildings. The costs were over $100 and I don't think there were too many takers (I did buy a couple). The company folded. Not sure if the "owner" is still on the board or not but I still think they were awesome.

Anyway, if I get time I'll post pics of the pillboxes. I no longer sell them ... my time is worth more to me than most are willing to pay :D

SGT. ROCK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SGT. ROCK » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:09 pm

These guys build custom dioramas in 1:18 and 1:6 scale. I think I read on the site that the dioramas start at $500 dollars.

Check out the Jet they built around the BBI 1:6 F-15 Cockpit.

http://www.dioramadreams.com/

gk5717
Sergeant
Sergeant

re: 1-18th pillbox

Post by gk5717 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:47 pm

I,m one who bought a pillbox from redcharger. As he said they are not cheap, but back a few years ago when redcharger said he would do the pillboxes many people on the old board said "yes,I'll buy one" and then backed out because of the price.
They are the same people who complain that a 1-18th figure is to expensive at $7.99, that it should be $5.99.
I go back to the days when the only tank on the market was a underscale Marx tank, that came with WW2 GI,s carrying M-14s. So you see I can appreciate what is out there now and don,t mind paying for quality.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:53 pm

Speaking of Pola G-scale buildings, my father has some sort of mill building with a water wheel. I'm not sure whether or not its Pola, but its supposed to go with G-scale trains. The building is on the large side and is actually closer to 1:18 scale. The building is deffinitely styled in rustic European architecture. I'll pull it down from the attic one day and get a picture. Its a quality piece and the waterwheel is motorized. I've thought about using it in a diorama, as the 21st buildings are equally well detailed and close enough in scale, save that the mill building is not blasted to pieces so would look sort of odd...
Last edited by tmanthegreat on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:10 pm

They are the same people who complain that a 1-18th figure is to expensive at $7.99, that it should be $5.99.
Well.... Being one of those people, I disagree.

First, because I simply didn't buy a Pillbox from Red... No offense to him because they kicked much ass, but if I wanted one I'd do it myself (at that price) since I feel I'm up to the task. I don't fault him the price though because, as I said, I work with resin as well and it is expensive. If it wasn't, everyone would learn how to do it, but it is expensive and not practical for the majority.

Second, because I feel the price should be $5.99 is the god's honest truth. These are 10's, or even 100's of thousands of units being produced and sold. Not in the 100's or lower, like a resin cast item. Injection molding plastic for toys is a costly procedure, but not $8 a 1:18 figure costly unless you're really making limited quantities. BBI's a small company, and do it for considerably less and only sell to TRU and some etailers (I believe they sell to etailers anyway?)... That's not a huge market for them, so if they're making figures that retail for between $4.99 and $5.99, which are very complex (made of multiple parts, construction, quality materials, etc.) then I feel every company should be able to live to that benchmark... Hasbro and 21st included.

$7.99 is etail's setting... Personally I question if it isn't a little gouging since they know they're the only outlet for some figures, or if it isn't just their way of covering their own higher costs. Still, Toys R Us isn't the largest toy retailer, and BBI's shelf space isn't enormous either... So this makes me question what etail's making. It's tough to say though. I just know that what's hot tends to stay at the inflated retail, whereas they drop prices to basic retail eventually on what's not hot. That smacks of them just making the extra buck (their right to do so, of course), but too rich for my wallet to build an army of figures either.

For every 10 BotB Rifleman I'd have bought, now I may only get a couple of them at the inflated price, if that. To me it's hurting themselves holding out for that one hot figure, like the open coat BotB German. But that's my business sense, not theirs, and they're entitled to run their stores how they please.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

pillbox pic

Post by red69charger » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:49 pm

For those who hadn't already seen it, here's a pic of the pillbox we used to sell.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/102 ... 1634OdVprt

5ohsinker
Sergeant
Sergeant

1:18 pillbox

Post by 5ohsinker » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:23 pm

Red, you dont ahve any leftover stock do you? I'd be interested in them if you do.

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

stock

Post by red69charger » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:37 am

I'm glad your'e interested in one, but I have no remaining stock I'm afraid. I personally own 3 and the original prototype that I use in wargaming but I'm not willing to part with them at this time. I don't even know if the mold exists anymore for the pillboxes. It went with my friend who made it for me and he moved out of state last year. I have very limited contact with him anymore and last I heard he said the mold was beginning to deteriorate.

The only BattleReady piece I do still have an extra of is a T23 turret for a Sherman 76. It should be more historically accurate now that the M4A3 chassis is out from bbi, but I plan on putting it up on ebay one of these days to see how much it will fetch. I'll certainly post here if it goes up for sale or if I decide to part with any of my pillboxes.

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

ideas

Post by 75th Ranger » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:03 am

Guys what about if to lower tha cost, a group of us would unite and do a part of the diorama and then we all unite them to have the finish product?
I'm not really a resin user but I'm a creator...and also i could help with the distribution or asembly part.

for example: someone makes the walls,
then someone makes the roof,
some paints them,
some one packages its,
and someone distributes them....

it may work....and resin doesn't have to be the only material....
foam, wood or other tyoes maybe be a possibility.
let me know what you guys think.
HOOAH!

Razor17019

Bunker

Post by Razor17019 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:34 pm

Centone,
I like the bunker. I would pay money or trade for this bunker.
Do you think you can make one like this??
Let me know.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Wow! Great stuff Centone!

Post by 75th Ranger » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:52 pm

I really like your work.
If you could futher explain how to make the stuff, I would be greatful.
or make some and sell them for a few bucks....
keep me posted.
HOOAH!