Accuracy quirks and fixes

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Flytiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Accuracy quirks and fixes

Post by Flytiger » Sun May 07, 2006 6:55 am

After collecting for a while, accuracy has become more of an issue for me than it was when I was just trying to fill in the blank spaces. I thought I'd start this with my first "squawk," the venerable 1st release of the 1:18 P-38 Lightning.

I acquired this one already assembled and while it was in great condition, close examination showed me the aircraft and pilot were doomed should the tube rocket launchers be fired (they're within the propeller arcs). The fact that they're not in line with the aircraft centerline is also visually annoying.

Has anyone been successful in removing them without damaging the fuselage or under-wing mounting points?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun May 07, 2006 7:00 am

i took mine off no problem. Just gave them a good yank, as i recall. No damage to the fuselage but it did expose the holes where the rocket launchers are inserted; they're not huge but noticable.

I would imagine the difficulty in getting the tubes off will depend on how much glue was applied to put them on. Mine didn't have much glue so they came of rather easily.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sun May 07, 2006 7:11 am

I would imagine the difficulty in getting the tubes off will depend on how much glue was applied to put them on. Mine didn't have much glue so they came of rather easily.
I think Ferg may be on to something there. One thing you might try in case your model may be one of those with a bit more glue than the average bear, would be to use some relatively mild heat source, like a hair dryer for example, to "soften" the glue a little before you try to pull the tubes off of the fuselage. Use caution when applying heat, the key is to use just enough to get those pesky tubes loose, but without wrinkling any paint, or otherwise damaging anything unintentionally. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

The Old Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

P-38 Rockets

Post by The Old Man » Sun May 07, 2006 4:37 pm

Took a razor saw, cut up close to the skin, cut the remainder, then used decal to cover the rectangular areas.
Have to be very careful with a heat gun as the plastic is not styrene and, without saying much, 800 degrees sure melts BBI and 21st "stuff" but is the ONLY way on a lot of the fixes of these mfgrs.

Accuracy and 21st P-38 are not compatable - makes good "stand off" scale though. Most can be fixed - gear takes work but can be made to look a lot better - even get the "cant" of the nose and mains (extensive use of exacto, replacement tires and wheels, piano wire, slimming of gear struts, cutting of the nose gear door) - except - the fuselage, booms, chin radiators - I think all have been covered in other messages.

Course, that's the opinion of an Old Man.
Neil Hesse