Admiral F-86?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rawjinks
Corporal
Corporal

Admiral F-86?

Post by rawjinks » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:42 pm

What's different about htis second shipment. I heard that there were going to be some small improvements.

Rawjinks

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:35 pm

I'll let you know when I get my pair this week from BCT.....

From what I remember, the gear is supposed to lock down and some fit and finishing changes were supposed to be done.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

New Version F-86

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon May 01, 2006 3:30 pm

Just received my "new version" F-86 from BCT. Since I don't have one of the originals, I can only remark on what people have complained about with the initial version. To begin with, the landing gear has a positive down-lock. It's not as hard as some BBI and 21C aircraft, but I've had no problems with the gear collapsing whatsoever. There was copious amounts of protective sheets taped all over the fuse and center section of the wings. No "wear" marks left by the packing...the surface paint is 99.999% intact. I have noticed a few very small scratches, but nothing remarkable or that can't be very easily fixed and you wouldn't know they were there. The gunbays for the ammo trays were a nice touch, but there's very little detail in there...makes you wonder "why" go to the expense. The speed brakes are really nice and you gotta see them up close to appreciate them. Now for the bad....there are a couple of marks on the canopy itself...again nothing that can't be fixed east. A little plastic polish and I'm certain it'll disappear too. The ailerons do not move and are molded into the wing structure (I assume for strength especially near the wingtip). There is a gap in one aileron where the upper and lower wing halves are glued together...and when the flap is lowered it becomes VERY apparent. I'll try gluing this gap better and see how that works. The overall markings are crisp and clean...except the fuselage band. It's yellow with a black border on the silver skin. Parts of the band have some overspray where the black border edge wasn't too clean....again not too apparent, but noticable. Lastly (and worst-ly) the pilot. He's a joke and is way too small in the cockpit. He sits so low his chin is hardly above the canopy siderail. The face sculpt is atrocious and one arm continually falls off. The helmet is so far off it looks like his head has been smashed and the oxygen mask attaches to his chest at his left shoulder with a pin, so I can't even cover part of his hidious face with the mask. Oh....and those seatbelts....forget them. Nice try, but the make the pilot look even smaller, bulge upwards away from the pilot, and just make the cockpit look toy-like. I threw mine out. I might just do the same with the pilot and find a replacement. If this sounds too negative....don't take it that way. The aircraft is extemely good...I have no regrets and probably will get another down the line sometime. It's well worth what I paid...and more.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Mon May 01, 2006 4:37 pm

Well AT is addressing some of the issues VERY quickly it seems.
The addition of issue paper around the parts is great news as is the gear.

Supposedly the seat position has been adjusted as well.

As for the pilot, my guess is the serious guys would throw him out first and put some other pilot figure. AT most likey knows this would happen so they left it for the kids...

I like mine, and will be first in line for the Me 262 and whatever else.

DH

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Mon May 01, 2006 7:15 pm

Excellent review Folkwulfe!! It really hit everything on the head. I'm happy I got in on the second batch.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]