BBI Models

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

BBI Models

Post by ostketten » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:29 pm

Up to this point in time I have been strictly a 21C man in 1/18th, but I've had my eye on some of the offerings from BBI/Elite Force, particularly the M1 Abrams tank and the F4U aircraft. I would like to hear peoples opinions on BBI models, how do they compare to 21C and so on. Thanks.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:03 pm

Here's my rundown on BBI products - hope this all helps :D

The BBI aircraft are exceptional. The Corsair and the Zero are easily two of the best detailed 1:18 aircraft out there. The P-51 is also very well done. These aircraft either equal or exceed their 21c counterparts and the BBI Zero is the only Zero offered in 1:18 scale. The Corsair, since you mentioned it, is very much worth it!

The BBI Helicopters are also very well done. There are some inaccuracies on the Blackhawk and Apache, but these are minor and do not detract from these huge models. The AH-6 littlebird and OH-58 Kiowa are the best done of the BBI helicopters - the Kiowa even has opening engines!

The modern aircraft are amazing (and huge as well), but as with the large helicopters, these are getting hard to find. The F-18 and F-16 are very well detailed, though both do not have moving control surfaces.

The BBI armor is a different story. Their new WWII-era M4 Sherman is the best of the lot, with opening hatches and engine plus lots of accessories. It is better in detail than the 21c Sherman. There is nothing in BBI armor that compares to the XD Tiger and M-41 with full interiors.

The modern BBI LAV and M1 Abrams, while they look pretty good, are not nearly what they could have been in terms of overall detail and function. Only some of the hatches open and there are no interiors - save for the troop compartment on the LAV. The 21c 1:18 modern vehicles, such as the M2 Bradley and M113, are far superior to any of the BBI modern armor. I keep waiting for 21c to make a better 1:18 M1 Abrams, but I know that's a pipe dream...

The smaller BBI modern vehicles such as the Hummers, dune buggy and motorcycle are well detailed and neat little pieces. I still prefer the 21c Hummers to the BBI versions in terms of detail, however.

BBI has made the best WWII figures to date in terms of detail, articulation and included accessories - these are the paratroopers (with chutes) and the Infantry figures. They also have a varitey of modern figures which are some of the best we have got at the moment. There are various repaints of US Army soldiers, Marines and Navy Seals. There are also carded Helicopter pilots. The figures come with alot of accessories and there are four "weapons" packs that can be found to further equip the modern soldiers.

So to sum it all up, the BBI WWII aircraft & figures are the best, with their modern aircraft, helos & figures being some of the best in 1:18 as well. Their armor (save for the Sherman) leaves alot to be desired.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:27 pm

The BBI Abrams is a travesty. I think even BBI think so, because they didn't even bother to paint the darn thing.

It looks like they just upscaled the old Tamiya M1A1 1/35 kit....because it has the same inaccuracies as that model. But that's the only big Abrams we've got...unless you go for the 21st 1/9th RC Abrams (which is also a travesty). The plus side is the BBI Abrams looks good from afar.

But Tman sums it up pretty much. BBI gives 21st a run for it's money on aircraft, and copters. But 21st smokes BBI in the armor arena, with the exception of the Sherman (BBI far better than 21st).

markecho
Sergeant
Sergeant

my opinion

Post by markecho » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:01 pm

I was able to pick up several 21st and BBI armor pieces and here is my views on the M1 (since that is what you are looking to buy).

As tman stated, yes 21st C modern is superior in detail to BBI. The M1 only has 2 opening hatches on top and those holes are not open..so you have to sit your crew in the top hatches. Also the front drivers hatch does not open. No engine hatches open. It does have some painted on weathering that also is acceptible in my opinion - but the base color tan is from the plastic (in other words it is not painted tan)
By itself, the detail is pretty good to ok. And it is on the border of being a toy vs a toy model.
However where BBI's strength is, is in the driver (in my opinion) is much better than 21stC armor driver.

Really what it boils down to is that BBI has the only M1 out there. 21st is rumored to have this on their "to do list" but if the M1 is a "must have now" then I see nothing wrong with getting one. Especially if you can find a deal like when they went on clearance some time ago.
If you can wait for 21st's I would...because if they do come out with one that is up to par with their current modern armor, then that will rock.

If you are a customizer though, then you can paint and weather them and then all the modern armor will go well with each other. Someone here on the boards has done that and they looked great!

Here are some pics I dug up if you are having trouble finding some references...note I have added B-A-R accesories.

As far as the Corsair...if I did not already have a 21stC I would definately have picked up BBI's. It was VERY hard to resist when I saw it.
It is the dang toy companies that have sometimes made me want to stop collecting toys!!!

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:35 pm

The BBI Corsair is a beauty. Of all my models, the Corsair seems to be the one most people ask about.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:10 pm

For the most part, I love the BBi stuff. But, I have had some problems with my Mustang. If you buy it from TRU, before you take it too much out of package - check the wheel covers on the wings and the canopy and make sure they are not loose. If so, take it back. Seems I got a crappy model, and wish I hadn't destroyed the packaging so it could have been returned. Other than that - go for it!

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:36 am

OK guys, thanks for all the replies, it is greatly appreciated. I think the BBI Corsair sounds like a must have and I can get one from an online retailer for about $50 or so, but it's too bad none of the local Walmart or TRU stores carry it, I could probably save some bucks over an online purchase. As for the BBI Sherman tank, I saw one rcently at a local TRU and overall it looked nice, but something about the gun barrel just struck me as odd, it just did not look right to me, it was too "fat" or something, and looked more like a 105mm howitzer tube than a 75mm tank gun barrel, I dunno maybe it's just these old eyes or something, but I did not buy it, and I will probably wait and have a look at the 21C Sherman before making a decision. Thanks again for all the opinions.

digger

Sherman

Post by digger » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:45 am

You have good eyes - it is a 105mm howitzer. It is not nor was it ever meant to be a 75mm gun. Get it, it is a must have for 1:18 armor fans.

Corsair is a bit pricey but overall these things are still great deals so if you don't mind the funky paint schemes on the bbi F4 then go for it. It is $45 at Amazon I believe, in case you have a coupon there.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:35 am

Damn, I guess I should have looked at the box a little more carefully...DOH!! At any rate, thanks for the info Digger, I probably never would have figured that one out on my own. So I guess that this is really a Self propelled gun, and not a "tank" per se?

Bravo_26
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Bravo_26 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:35 am

Ostketten - I'm with Markecho on the M1 issue. I really like the M1, and LAV-25 for that matter, despite the lack of opening hatches throughout.

If you are a customizer then lack of detail may be a moot point. The LAV has turning rubber tires and is a very cool armored piece. The M1 is perfectly to scale, whereas the PTE version is not. The M1's rubber treads roll very easily on any surface and the beast is VERY sturdy, as opposed to some of the 21st Century vehicles which can be a bit fragile.

Looking at Markecho's photos, I can't help but still admire the thing...AGAIN! Great photo's btw M!!! I'm not convinced that 21st will actually produce an Abrams anytime soon, or at all. It may be too cost prohibitive to produce one with all the meticulous detail needed to satisfy the collector market. Remember, as it has been said before, 21st's favorite customer is WalMart - not us collectors & online E-tailers.

My .02 anyway.

Cheers,
Bravo two-six
www.foxholetoys.com
"Dive in!"

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by corpbob » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:29 am

BBI's aircraft are works of art, but their armor is crap (though the 105 Sherman ain't bad). Worst of all, their M-1 has prevented 21st from doing a decent one (for reasons I don't understand). If 21st doesn't do a QUALITY M-1 soon, my Bradley will being going on the sale block![/b]