M3A3 Halftrack Items help.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Lex
Private First Class
Private First Class

M3A3 Halftrack Items help.

Post by Lex » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:21 pm

Alright Gents, and Ladies,

I went rack diving at the Local walmart and found a M3A3 sitting in the back covered in dust. Now Got it home and loving it. the driver actually fits, which I find weird after reading about how most dont. BUT I have found one thing I have no idea about.

Little Gray Round Circles. about a dozen of them. Any one have any idea what these things are? My first instinct are Anti-Armor Landmines? I've been working on it the last few hours just playing. The amount of detail blows me away. My wife has been throwing stuff at me telling me to stop drooling over it or I'll ruin it!

Appreciate any help in advance on this ,

Semper Fi
Lex

Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:47 am

as i remember it yes those are land mine

and it is not the half track that got every one problem it is the 11/2 ton truck that everyone is gripeing about the driver not fitting.
whats up doc....

digger

US halftrack

Post by digger » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:20 am

BDA is right, they are mines that fit nicely on the side rack of the vehicle.

I am glad you like the M3A3 - it is my favorite vehicle and never ceases to amaze me (try counting the moving parts). I really hope they expand on the platform...an M16 and a howitzer version would be well received. 8)

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:23 am

The discs will fit in the grooves on the either side of the halftrack crew compartment. I think they are spare wheels that fit in the inbetween the tracks that the crew could have changed if one broke. There should be some other pieces that fold up that attach to the back of the halftrack. The platforms at the back you can fold down and put oil/gas cans or the 2 square bundles of sleeping gear or whatever on them.

Yes the halftrack is a really cool vehicle to display or play with. Have fun!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

digger

mines

Post by digger » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:27 am

They are not spare wheels..they are mines.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:36 am

i wish they would do a M16 half track also.
i'd take at least 2 :D

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:57 am

Past posts are 100% correct. They are anti-personnel land mines. They are mounted on the outside racks because if hit by light cannon fire they will explode out, away from the track. A mine explodiing inside the track would give the crew a really bad day. Half-track armor was light and would only resist pistol and rifle fire, nothing larger.

The racks on the rear were used for anything from canvas tarps (as in the 21C) up to and including the kitchen sink.

The interior of a White half-track is relatively small and a full crew is all elbows and knees. They hung everything they could from the sides, the back and even tied on fenders and the winch and hood. in order to give the crew a little more room.

The boggie wheels did not break. Spare boggie wheels were not carried or used as extra armor as was done with tanks. If a half-track boggie wheel or track itself was damaged by a mine, the track was out of comission until rear echelon maintenance guys could make repairs.

The track themselves were all rubber with steel cables inbedded inside. It was in effect, a giant rubber band and once damaged, the track had to be replaced. The wore well and the proof is all the WW2 era half-tracks that are still around. The Israeli's made a replacement rubber track in the 60's that is indistructable.

The White HT was a really great vehicle, no matter which version. I would love to see a 21C M-16 or M-15. Mauybe some day. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:28 am

Like I said, don't listen to me :oops:

That's what I like about this board, a weath of knowledge and EVERYBODY learns something, sometime...

Thanks for the help, fellas! :)
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:09 pm

i just threw those mines under the seats... thats where i thought they went :?
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

Lex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lex » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:37 pm

appreciate the info, Thats what I figured and I found they did ride rather well on the sides. Been doing some touch up and painting and hopefully will have some pictures here soon to post. Again thanks!

Semper Fi
Lex