Rasberry list

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:37 pm

The only plane I am really dissapointed in, and I knew it before I bought it was the P-40 "Sky Captain" the movie was lame, and the plane was just a repaint and didn't even match any of the "altered features, ie like the second seat"

I figure if your going to market a toy from a movie it should match.

so why did I buy it? The box art! And then 5 years from now, I'd be saying man I should have bought it then, instead of ebay for $200.00

if ebay will be around in 5 years.

dave

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by corpbob » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:46 pm

Tempest66 wrote:I can't say that I reget buying any of the planes/vehicles/figures, because for the most part, their the only 1:18 version of that certain plane/vehicle/figure. But if I had to pick which I didn't like, I would pick the P-40. It seems so toyish, especially after being released at about the same time as the P-47, and Fw-190. Rudder and fin shaped wrong, rear windows too boulbous, wings too thick, intake shaped wrong, canopy too tall and wide, wrong instument panel, and lack of cockpit detail are some of the more noticable innaccuracies. But I don't regret buying it. :wink:
My feelings exactly. The P-40 was so poorly done I keep looking for a way to hang it really high from the ceiling, so high nobody can see how cheap it looks..........

And let's not forget 21st's decision to make a Walker Bulldog with soooo many better tank candidates out there. It's well done, it just shouldn't have been done at all.

vmf214
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by vmf214 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:31 pm

Got'em all like'em all (plus a few special ones :wink: ). They are after all a toy, granted the detail and realism has increased greatly since the first Mustang and 109. :)

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:45 pm

corpbob wrote:
Tempest66 wrote:I can't say that I reget buying any of the planes/vehicles/figures, because for the most part, their the only 1:18 version of that certain plane/vehicle/figure. But if I had to pick which I didn't like, I would pick the P-40. It seems so toyish, especially after being released at about the same time as the P-47, and Fw-190. Rudder and fin shaped wrong, rear windows too boulbous, wings too thick, intake shaped wrong, canopy too tall and wide, wrong instument panel, and lack of cockpit detail are some of the more noticable innaccuracies. But I don't regret buying it. :wink:
My feelings exactly. The P-40 was so poorly done I keep looking for a way to hang it really high from the ceiling, so high nobody can see how cheap it looks..........

And let's not forget 21st's decision to make a Walker Bulldog with soooo many better tank candidates out there. It's well done, it just shouldn't have been done at all.
I have to disagreeI think it is an excellent representation of the foriegn export B/C verson of the Warhawk. Perhaps your confusing this with the later E, k, etc models. where the features you mention are different then the "B"s. But it is far from perfect, only the flaps and gear operate. It would have been nice to see the rudder, elevators, and ailerons work too.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:00 pm

By far the most glaring issue with the P-40 is the "blown" windshield. Other than that, I like it. It has to be said that this plane was pre-Sutherland, thus the blatent errors. It sucks that the prototype had a better windshield.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:43 pm

Despite its errors, I rather like my 1:18 RAF P-40. Its paintscheme was done quite well and does not have the decals. The cockpit does leave alot to be desired, however. I sort of improved mine by pulling out the instrument panel and re attaching it a little closer towards the pilot and I also added a scratch-built gunsight. My modifications are far from accurate (I do have a nice photo of an actual P-40 cockpit), but they do make the 1:18 cockpit seem a little smaller. I also customized an RAF desert pilot using the Corsair pilot figure body and a P-47 pilot figure head.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:33 pm

tmanthegreat wrote: I also customized an RAF desert pilot using the Corsair pilot figure body and a P-47 pilot figure head.
One of the best mods ever IMHO! I remember when that came up when the RAF P-40 came out.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

o

Post by eddie372 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:00 pm

I have no regrets, but I noticed that I don't spend as much time looking at my Stuka. It's not the looks of the airplane itself, as it's an interesting design with a great historical record. I think it has to do more with my other airplanes being more attractive.

Ed
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:02 pm

Teamski wrote:One of the best mods ever IMHO! I remember when that came up when the RAF P-40 came out.

-Ski
I think I got the idea from that color picture on your webshots site with the RAF pilots standing in front of the 112 Sq. P-40 :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

wise690
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wise690 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:59 pm

I regret buying the Avenger and A-10. :lol:

Ok, I can't think of anything I regret buying other than 1/32 armored vehicles.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:05 am

I remember standing in front of the smaller 1/32 when they were on sale last year at WM - thinking do I want to start this?
That was when I made the decesion to stay with 1:18

I dont have many regrets because I don't buy everything I see - and even with this policy I am still out of room.
The reason I didnt pick up a zipper, or a Panther and only one of the german planes (Nightfighter) my favorite by far.

I did have a rule about only buying one figure at a time - I also did that with Starwars - it makes the hunt for new stuff crazy - cause I have to be "thatguy" standing in front of the pegs figuring out which figure to take home - The decesion became easier when i decided I would now open everything due to storage space problems.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.