BBI Sherman tank

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

BBI Sherman tank

Post by Fitzystigertank » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:47 pm

I just finally purchased a BBI Sherman and i think it has great detail. the question I have is it comes with accessories. Binocs, grease gun, gas tank, two crates with 105 rounds, two lil packs and 2 big packs that say "105 cal. 50 API M8 linked repacked lot then some numbers". what exactly are supposed to be in these two packs that say 105 cal...?? there to small to be rounds. its pretty cool too that it has 2 crates with rations. Over all a much better tank then the 21st Century Sherman.

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

gear

Post by digger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:34 am

I really wish they would release those 30 Cal boxes with the next wave of figures instead of the 50 Cal boxes. Most importantly, the 30 Cal boxes fit nicely in the rack on the side of my halftrack 8)

On a side note, if there is anyone left who collects armor and does not have the bbi Sherman please stand up. :P You need one, there has been nothing equal since... :wink:

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:14 am

my only real problems with BBI Sherman
I already have two different 21st century ones -
I was never impressed with BBI modern armor so I just shrugged it off.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

digger

ah!

Post by digger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:30 am

STUKA wrote:my only real problems with BBI Sherman
I already have two different 21st century ones -
I was never impressed with BBI modern armor so I just shrugged it off.
:o I know what you are saying - the modern armor let me down as bad as anyone..but trust the consensus on this...just think of how the bbi Mustang was "the next level" - so is this. Two hatches on the turret (later model) open, both hull hatches, engine access w/ detailed engine, a ton of extra gear and tank shells in crates. Also an awesome tanker with removable tank helmet. :)
Compliment with some BoB figures and you are in good shape. 8)

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:59 am

Does the turret come off?

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:02 pm

No, it doesn't, but the tank is beautiful, the weld marks are amazing, and the tracks are good too. It looks very real.
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:12 pm

The boxes of .50 cal come linked to be fed into the gun. Each box contains 100 rounds. Doesn't sound like much but the slow rate of fire of the M2 .50 is 550 rounds a minute. That is slow for a machine gun but the M2 has served for 80 years and is a terrific weapon.

A "good" machine gun operator fires in short bursts of 5 to 10 rounds so 100 rounds isn't used up in 10 seconds of sustained fire. Not like the movies, but then, what is? 8)

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:02 am

Moth wrote:No, it doesn't, but the tank is beautiful, the weld marks are amazing, and the tracks are good too. It looks very real.
And the ones I located at Toys R Us yesterday were $40 plus tax. Just about twice the price of the USMC Shermans at one of my local Walmarts. While nice, the BBI Shermans aren't that nice. :wink:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

digger

wait...

Post by digger » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:13 am

Are we saying $40 is too much for 1:18 armor? Is that what it has come to - that people feel priced out of the armor offerings and that is why it does not sell? We would rather a tank with much less detail, a lesser figure and no extras to save $15? :? It wasn't $70, and at most online retailers it was around $30-35. Is it not worth it? I don't think we could let WM or the clearance aisle dictate what is an appropriate price for anything.

If we balk at $40 for a tank that lives up to the "Xtreme Detail" or "Maximum Detail" claim, then it is no wonder the companies do not produce armor anymore. :roll:

For some perspective, this is the $65 1/35 Tamiya kit that the bbi Sherman was scaled up from:

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:39 am

I never said paying $40 for 1/18 armor was too much. I've paid $60 for an S-1 Panther. My point is that I am not going to pay $40 plus tax for a BBI Sherman when there are two perfectly acceptable (for my purposes) 21st USMC Shermans sitting at Walmart for $25 out the door. It all about the available options. If there were only $40 BBI Shermans, then I'd likely be buying a $40 BBI Sherman.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:39 am

Hey - Price is why I have two XD versions and no BBI versions -

also BBI had high Price and non-working hatches on the modern stuff -

the plastics used were also easy to break -

I remember seeing tons of LAV's with broken bits floating around the box - My guess it was some customers shaking the heck out of the box trying to figure out if the hatches opened.
:D

I'm also willing to pay the money - I paid the full price for my 1st bradley - found the desert camo version for $12.00 though I picked that over the Tiger at the time and I'm kicking my shin right now!!

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: gear

Post by corpbob » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:57 pm

digger wrote:I really wish they would release those 30 Cal boxes with the next wave of figures instead of the 50 Cal boxes. Most importantly, the 30 Cal boxes fit nicely in the rack on the side of my halftrack 8)

On a side note, if there is anyone left who collects armor and does not have the bbi Sherman please stand up. :P You need one, there has been nothing equal since... :wink:
Count me among the unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, 21st' Sherman was no work of art, but I've yet to be any more impressed by the BBI model. The engine detail is nice, but the paint job is mediocre and the "constipated" face of the tanker is a turn-off for me. Unless I find one for <$20, it will never grace my shelves.

digger

Re: gear

Post by digger » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:10 pm

corpbob wrote: Count me among the unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, 21st' Sherman was no work of art, but I've yet to be any more impressed by the BBI model. The engine detail is nice, but the paint job is mediocre and the "constipated" face of the tanker is a turn-off for me. Unless I find one for <$20, it will never grace my shelves.
OK, I give up... :? ..but remember, you can swap out that head with the other bbi WWII guys. :P

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:19 pm

And what is wrong with being "constipated"??? I think some of you guys are "constipated" in your thinking. :roll: That's a joke guys, a joke. 8)

I'm with Digger on this one. Having to pay $45 to $60 for a piece of 1/18 armor that you WANT and that you are happy with is not out of line.

Your imagination is as big as your wallet.

Roll on 1/18 vehicles of any kind. :?

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:20 pm

The reason I like the BBI Sherman is because it's a complete new version of the Sherman, quite apart from the version of 21st.

Whatever the packaging says, the 21st Sherman isn't an M4A3....it's an early M4. The BBI Sherman is a true M4A3.

It's all about your preference, I guess. I personally would be willing to fork over an extra $15 for a completely new version of a late-war sherman (M4A3 105mm Sherman), rather than spending another $25 on a re-paint of an early M4.

Maybe another alternative, if you're a Sherman freak, is to remove the gun and mantlet of the 21st Sherman, install it on the BBI late, high bustle turret, and voila! Another accurate Sherman version. :wink:

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:46 pm

I actually do think price has a lot to do with armor sitting on the shelves. As the toy companies like to remind us (over and over...), we collectors are not the main buyers in TRU and Walmart. You have a lot of parents and grandparents buying for kids. I think they look at that and say "its just a tank, I'll buy little Johny this tonka truck he'll have much more fun with for $10" where a plane - there's not as many alternatives. When the Walkers were originally at TRU, I saw several adults telling kids - with the Walkers in their arms in a death grip - that they could get more toys for the same money, or only get the tank. Many a tank was put back.

Now, look at 21C at Walmart. For $40 or so, I've seen armor sit at Walmart, but with the $23 price, they disappear and leave the airplanes to sit. I guarentee if the Bradley was rereleased with a $23 tag, those things would be snapped up like hot cakes, unlike the previous release.

But, if we were to get a T-34, I'd have no problem paying $40 or $50. And since I already have 2 21C Shermans, and am not a big Sherman fan, I've left the BBI tanks there.

MG-42

BBi Sherman w/ 105mm.

Post by MG-42 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:32 pm

I've owned my BBi for a year now,..and it literally "blows away" any 21st.Sherman as far as detail and X-tra's IMO,...and it was about time another toy-maker did one,...and BBi sure did it's job on this one too. MY FAVORITE !!
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

digger

exactly

Post by digger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:11 pm

As the toy companies like to remind us (over and over...), we collectors are not the main buyers in TRU and Walmart. You have a lot of parents and grandparents buying for kids. I think they look at that and say "its just a tank, I'll buy little Johny this tonka truck he'll have much more fun with for $10"

But this has nothing to do with little Johny - this thread shows that even the collectors were priced out by $40, that is what has me so surprised. We agree it is a different model, with more detail and more extras and yet collectors are not willing to pay $40. So, when someone wonders where all the 1:18 armor is, remember it doesn't sell so that's why nobody makes it. :? Even with a lot of detail and extras, collectors don't want to pay $40.

On a side note, I can't believe the bad experience with the bbi modern armor would keep you from the Sherman. The Sherman was the product of the learning curve, and in turn all the hatches open and the tank is heavy. The antithesis of the LAV...

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:26 pm

Based on Digger's comments, I'm actually curious for those who didn't buy the BBi sherman - if it was a differnt tank (such as the Tiger, Panther, or Panzer IV) that 21C had already done, but the BBI version wasbetter, would you pay $40 for that?

For me, probably not. I prefer post-war tanks. But it seems to me there are many more fans of German armor. I'm just wondering if the Sherman was a bad choice. I will say this, though - the Shermans don't last at my TRU. And they still are getting them.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:26 pm

Okay. Let's back up a little bit. $40 only becomes too much when there is an acceptable alternative that costs less. If BBI was the only game in town, and Toys R Us the only brick and mortar retailer, $40 would not be too much to pay for a nicely detailed piece of 1/18 scale armor now would it? I didn't think so.

To suggest that those who prefer an inexpensive alternative are somehow ungrateful goobers is inappropriate.
-W.C. Fields

digger

whoa

Post by digger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:19 pm

To suggest that those who prefer an inexpensive alternative are somehow ungrateful goobers is inappropriate.
Nobody said that..at least I don't think. :?
My comments were genuine surprise - I really did not know (but now I do) how many people avoided the bbi Sherman. It really does shed light on why bbi no longer produces armor.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:30 pm

Certainly not stated outright, but felt like there was a bit of an implication. Either way; no harm, no foul. :wink:

(not pointing fingers either by the way)

With my limited funds, I look for value in my purchases. Sometimes I fail to do so ($60 Panther), other times I am successful ($35 non-rc Panzer IV). I've seen the BBI Sherman first hand. I like the looks of it, and it's very well executed. Again, if 21st didn't have a Sherman, I'd very likely own a BBI Sherman right now. This in no way reflects poorly on BBI. They are simply guilty of producing a (for the price difference, and only in my opinion) marginally better tank. I now look at most of my prospective vehicle purchases for their custom potential. It doesn't help me to spend more on a basic platform, just to undo much of what was done by the manufacturer to begin with. But that's just me.

To touch on Morian's point (would you pay $40 for a different tank), of course. Most of the 21st Tigers go for at least that much. Usually more. Now, I'll tell you a tank I would happily pay $40+ for would be the Panther. That has to be the most disappointing piece of armor that 21st has put out thus far. I'd rather have a gutted RC Panzer IV. If BBI introduced an improved verion of that machine I'd be the first in line, and that tank is not even a particular favorite in and of itself.
-W.C. Fields

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:56 pm

I bought both tanks and I have to say that I think the BBI Sherman is a much better tank. It has more detail, an opening engine compartment, and it rolls better. I'm not a tank fanatic, so I may be more easily pleased, but that's just my opinion. Thought I would chime in.

MK
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MK » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:26 am

The BBI tank is a better representation of a Sherman tank in terms of detail and accessories. Its worth more bang for the buck than the 21st version in my opinion. Once I bought the BBI tank, I quickly sold off my two remaining 21st tanks on eBay. The only issue I have with it is the flimsy mount for the .50 cal MG. How does it match up to its real life counterpart?

MK