How many here 'cheat' on scale..

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

How many here 'cheat' on scale..

Post by aferguson » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:22 am

I consider myself a purist when it comes to scale; not waivering from 1/18 but in purusing my collection recently i realized this is not the case.

I have seven 1/20 scale aircraft now (4 wwi planes, a tiger moth, a V-1 and an He-162), i have a C-47 that has 1/19 wings and a fuselage that is 1/21 (so not even proprotioned correctly!), a 1/20 PT boat and a bunch of figures that are also 1/20. So it looks like i'm not the purist i thought i was. :oops:

With the lack of variety in 1/18 i am willing to bet many of us have 'strayed' a bit into other scales that are too small or too big but that we still put it into our 1/18 collections (i'm not talking about those brave souls who collect an entirely different scale).

I have decided that if i'm going to cheat, i will just cheat in one direction. So, 1/20 is ok, sometimes but i won't go in the other direction and get items that are too big in scale (1/16 tanks, for example...though i have been tempted supernumerous times). :P

Now, i find myself eyeing a toy helicopter on Ebay which just happens to be a pretty faithful copy of a CH-21 Shawnee 'flying banana', used a great deal in Vietnam. At 26 inches long it is big enough to comfortably hold xd troops; but it's also well underscale, being about 1/25. Sigh...what to do. :?

So, who else here cheats on scale and how do you rationalize it? Fess up. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:34 am

That`s a very interesting question you pose Aferg :D

I must admit I`d LOVE to say ALL is true 1/18th though I know a fair bit is NOT true 1/18th.

I have Chap mei stuff which has been customized though most of the time there stuff is not spot on scale wise same with PTE BUT they CAN be used within the 1/18th realm I find.

It comes down to the individual I think if there willing to have something not 1/18th true scale or even if they can Customize it up to make it look more appropriate. Biggest one to jump to mind there is Tomd`s Chap Mei Sea Knight/Chinook helo. On it`s own it was WAAAAAY too short. Tom`d took two of them & made ONE Longer version which still today I admire & want to copy whenever I can locate a 2nd sea knight helo to follow suit.

Same again Chap mei is the V-22. I know a fair few would love to get this though to make it work & look better a similar custom job like Tom`ds Helo would be in order. Though for those lucky enough to HAVE found the V-22,having it as IS would be just as exciting :D

I think it`s what the collector is willing to to turn a blind eye too really at the end of the day or as said customize :D

Aferg, So you can get back on the TRUE 1/18th scale,just package up the PT boat & ship it over......HAHAHAHAHA No doubt a few others here will volunteer to take 1/20th stuff off of you too :twisted: HAHAHAHAHA

ja
Steel Bonnet

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:45 am

I'm not a purist, because i mix in Joes and Chap Mei, along with some SW stuff.

I prefer the 1/18 (or close to)scale vehicles, because lets face it, a MOBAT is far too small and unimpressive for my BOB 2 Tank Commander. ( Same goes for the Bbi mini Hind)

Use whatever you like, i say.
I Tan I Epi Tas

Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:48 am

As long as the figures are fine, I don't worry about the other stuff. Now if its for a dioramma, I'm a little more picky - but still if it looks okay I don't worry too much.

MG-42

1/16 w/ 1/18

Post by MG-42 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:44 am

I mix my 1/16 = 120mm. stuff w/ my 1/18-XD, and I think it's fine,..fits right in IMO. It's not a big deal to me. My XD figures fit right in with my 1/16 vehicles and tanks. Considering there's just not enough cool XD, as far as artillery pieces,..vehicles,..tanks,..and stuff to go around that matches to exact scale.
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:05 am

I keep all my collections 1:18
All my cars, all my tanks, and all my planes (well I only have 2 at the moment)

I have only one exeption, which is my RC Pershing, but since it is RC, it does not count as part of my collection ( I hope :? )
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:10 am

I try to keep the whole collection at 1/18 too. Been tempted to include other scales, but so far I've resisted in doing so.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:33 am

Well, I assuming by Afergs examples, that cheating on scales means I mix in a few items within a particular scale that are either a little larger or a little smaller. Apart from some GI Joe and Star Wars, I really don't mix scales, meaning that I don't have GI Joe figures riding an XD tank or something like that.

Now if cheating on scales means that I collect more than one scale, then I am quite guilty, having a sizeable 1:32 aircraft and armor collection, and a good collection of 1:72 aircraft and armor as well :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MG-42

Sizeable 32x. Collection !

Post by MG-42 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:04 am

Same said for me in the 1/32 scale dept. 8)
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:57 pm

Well IF we`re talking truely other scales I ONLY do 1/18th or there about scale :D
It`s the Greatest scale in the world. Has everything 1/6th is & SO MUCH MORE :D Has what 1/35 & 1/72 scale have & again SO MUCH MORE :D

Can you tell I love 1/18th or there about scale :D HAHAHAHA

Ja
Steel Bonnet

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:16 pm

steelbonnet wrote:Well IF we`re talking truely other scales I ONLY do 1/18th or there about scale :D
It`s the Greatest scale in the world. Has everything 1/6th is & SO MUCH MORE :D Has what 1/35 & 1/72 scale have & again SO MUCH MORE :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet
Amen brutha!!! 1:18 is the only scale for me. It's the only scale that you can enjoy up close as much as across the room....

-Ski
Last edited by Teamski on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:06 pm

steelbonnet wrote:Well IF we`re talking truely other scales I ONLY do 1/18th or there about scale :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet
I can agree with that. I've pretty much narrowed my collecting down to Japanese stuff and Joes/1:18 scale. I can't wait for the day when i can see Cobra man a Tiger. :D
I Tan I Epi Tas

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:49 pm

Guys, guys,guys it is easy.Do what any woman does :D Buy what you like it is that easy. I tell you it really is scales be fudged! 8)
Could not think of anything to put here.

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:51 pm

OH and have friends like mine who couldnt tell 1/18th from 1/20th etc scale if there life depended on it :roll:
Could not think of anything to put here.

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:12 pm

For me personally, there just isn't enough selection to be a 1/18 'purist'.

Of course I collect armor and naval topics, not WWII aircraft, and certainly respect those A/C collectors who stay strictly within 1/18 collecting.

For example, if I hadn't been willing to mix scales slightly, I wouldn't have an M113 ACAV at all, since I had to use a Verlinden 120mm set for the gun shields. I suppose I could have taken the Verlinden set as an example and made my own to exact 1/18 scale, but I didn't feel the difference was really noticeable (or worth the effort), especially once I added all the extra stowage and other details.

As I've posted previously, I use Verlinden 120mm stuff alot. Their MREs and C-Rations add a nice to my modern and Vietnam-era vehicles respectfully.

Of course, I've also made my own things, like newspapers and magazines to exact 1/18 scale, but I don't see any reason to 'reinvent the wheel' so to speak when things already exist close to scale.

Also, as I (and many other people) have noted in many threads, "1/18" varies between companies, so even being a 1/18 'purist' doesn't mean much. For example the size of M-60s varies, with some "1/18" ones being less than 1mm in length different than a Verlinden 120mm one.

So, for example, I'm VERY happy to have an "approximately 1/16 scale" Swift boat in my collection. IMHO, it beats not having one in my collection at all.

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

o

Post by eddie372 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:19 pm

Currently working (almost finished) on B-17 bomber which is 1:25 scale. I'll be displaying it with my 1:32 birds in a manner that size differences will not be too noticeable.

Until they come up with the 1:32 or XD scale B-17s or B-25s, I'll have no choice but to mix scales. As for my 1:18s, I don't display them with anything else, but the possibility is there if some descent figures in a similar scale appear.

But it's also true that in real life there are variations in sizes which should be represented in our models. That's why I like the "short" pilot that came with one of the S1, 21-C Mustangs.
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:18 pm

I thought i'd dust off this old thread and see what attitudes are now towards cheating on scale, compromising etc, now that some time has passed.

I've noticed i'm starting to cheat more and more, especially in the aircraft department, where i've found some huge planes that are well under 1/18 (eg 1/22 scale) but still huge and very neat. I've also got a bit of 1/16 armour and may well get more.

So are there still alot of purists, rigidly sticking to 1/18 out there? And how many find yourselves 'cheating' on scale more and more to gain some variety and find themselves really doing 1/18-ish scale now?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:19 pm

I find it difficult to do at times, but so far I'm still true to 1/18th. :D

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:24 pm

Until recently I'd considered myself purist, even tho' 1/16 is included. The figures I've not been worried about since how many folks are actually the same size.

But I've just gone to the dark side by ordering the Kettenkrad, and several solders on horseback in 1/6th.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:40 pm

While I tend to try to stay within 1/18 scale, it's just not possible! There are just too many tempting diversions! 1/72, 1/144, and now I too am getting closer and closer to taking the 1/32 plunge. (I don't count the 1/6 Cy Girl squad into the equation--they just look good :) ). So covering multiple scales, definitely. As far as straying from scale, i.e. up or a down a scale? I plead guilty, since I have 1/16 Pershing. And I will continue to add the occasional 1/16 or 1/20 piece as I find them; I just don't go looking. But in most cases, they are close enough that only I and the other members of this forum would ever notice the difference, as long it's not Tiger next to Tiger.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:32 pm

I have dabbled here and there - usually when I find something on clearance.
I started collecting through Starwars and GiJoe. I usually buy what I like. I have picked up a few 1:32 21st century stuff when i found them cheap - and I ventured into the 1:6 world when A that is all I could find and B - KB toys was clearing the figures and weapons sets out - basically given the toys away.
About %95 of what I own is 1:18.
The first XD vehicle I bought was the forest camo bradley. I bought it for something to display my GiJoe in - something accurate. - Then well the rest is XD history.

Now why is this called cheating again?
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:07 pm

My collection is almost all, pure military. Scales are mixed 1/1, 1/6 and 1/18. That doesn't mean I dont have a drawer full of 1/32, with some Matchbox thrown in, even four 1/32 planes on the shelf..

I have had well over 100 relatives, friends, even total strangers in my home for one reason or another and noticing part of my collection (hard to miss the 1/6 tanks, Jeeps and half-tracks), I have always had great feedback on the collection, and so far, not one person has mentioned the difference in scales. I do mix. My dining room holds a 1/18 AT Me-262 and a 21C Panzer IV AND a 1/6 DID Kettengrad with trailer and three DML little guys as crew. On a shelf is a 1/6 WC-52 (custom) with a line under it of Matchbox toys and a 1/35 Command Car and a 1/18 Pak 40 under the tailboard of the WC-52.

Purist? You decide. I do love my toys. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:07 pm

Big time cheater. I have my GI Joes and SW that get mixed in with my XD stuff, and those are no way 1:18. Then you combine my G-scale equipment that is *mostly* 1/18 and my 1/16 armor. Eh, as long as I like it, who cares?
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:31 pm

Me too. I'm a scale cheater. :D

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:31 pm

I HAVE HELD A 1/16 88 GUN IN MY HAND & DESPERATELY WANTED TO BELIEVE IT WOULD FIT IN WITH MY 1/18, BUT AFTER A GREAT DEAL OF PONDERING, I WAS SURE IT DID NOT SIT COMFORTABLY IN THE COLLECTION NOR THE 1/16 KINGTIGER, MORES THE PITY. SOME THINGS YOU CAN FUDGE IN AROUND THE SCALE IF YOU DONT LOOK TOO HARD, BUT OVERALL IT MUST BE 1/18 TO PRESERVE THE INTEGRITY OF THE COLLECTION, ESPECIALLY THE IMPORTANT PIECES. THERE IS NO OTHER SCALE IN WWII.