The New XL-15 is Great!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

The New XL-15 is Great!

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:54 pm

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a review here, but if you’re into scifi ships, star fighters, etc. the new Disney-exclusive XL-15 ship from the recent Pixar film, Lightyear, is worth getting 8)

It’s scaled for 3.75” - 4” figures (unlike the Mattel version at most retailers that’s designed for 5” figures) and will hold everything from vintage GI Joe figures to modern 4” figures. It comes with a 3.75” Buzz Lightyear figure, which while decently articulated, lacks its helmet. I’m using a customized Hasbro GI Joe 25th Anniversary Ace pilot figure to crew my XL-15.

As for features, the XL-15 has fully retractable landing gears, integrated lights and sounds (including kit engines and cockpit instruments), and it has a very detailed cockpit. The honeycomb pattern on the canopy replicates an energy shield/force field that goes over the canopy in the movie.

While the XL-15 is ultimately a toy and not the detailed models we got years ago with 21st Century Toys, BBI, and even Hasbro, it’s got a lot of custom potential and could be made into something great. Nevertheless, I’m happy with the purchase and wanted to share for anyone interested :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Re: The New XL-15 is Great!

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:59 pm

That's a neat toy. I'm not familiar with the movie. I don't watch anything "Disney" since they went all stupid woke.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:45 pm

Yeah, the film has come and gone, lol. Lightyear was supposed to be an origin story for the “actual” character the Buzz Lightyear toy from Pixar’s classic 1995 Toy Story film was based on, or rather the movie the kid in Toy Story saw that made him want the Buzz Lightyear action figure. It wasn’t a terrible film, but in addition to the confusing premise, it generated a bit of controversy prior to its release not by not using Tim Allen for the voice of the character and for a (blink and you’d miss it) lesbian kiss in one scene.

At least the ships were neat with the XL-15 being the one most prominently featured. I posted here as there’s been some interest in the Lightyear ships on various 1/18 scale groups non Facebook, so I figured I’d bring it up here.

And generate some new activity here in SSHQ :P

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:12 am

That's pretty neat looking Tman, what did it cost?
I could see a cool looking Luft'46 custom made out of that. :)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:34 am

normandy wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:12 am
That's pretty neat looking Tman, what did it cost?
I could see a cool looking Luft'46 custom made out of that. :)
Normandy, it was $69.99 + shipping. Expensive, but cheaper than a lot of similar sized Star Wars ships have been as of late. It’s generated some buzz on some 1/18 scale-themed Facebook groups I’m in after I posted it. A number of collectors had been getting the much more toyish Mattel “Blast and Battle” XL-15 for the 5” figures and customizing it to fit 1/18 figures, but this Disney Store version is much better.

Here’s the link to the online Disney Store where I ordered from:
https://www.shopdisney.com/lightyear-ac ... 23301.html

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:57 pm

Thanks for the link Tman, definitely something I'll look into but Buzz is going to one of my Nieces kids. :P

Casey Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Casey Jones » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:54 am

The latest XL-15 isn’t a patch on the older one. However it is suitable for conversion or modification.