maybe an idea for future XD?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

maybe an idea for future XD?

Post by aferguson » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:21 pm

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... AILWAY+GUN

Here's a thread about a 1/35 Dora railway gun model that is perhaps going to be made. It will be made if they get enough preorders for it, worldwide. They need 2000.

Cost is $700, down payment is $90, refundable ONLY if the kit is not made but NOT if you cancel your preorder.

I bring this up because i wonder if someday this same kind of scheme could be used for us to see large/rare XD subjects...like a 1/18 Lancaster bomber etc.

This idea has been kicked around on the board before but the above example is the first concrete implementation of it in anything related to our hobby, that i am aware of. It will be interesting to see how it goes...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

1/35 Railway Gun

Post by MG-42 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 pm

:shock: .......As much as I love German Railway Guns,....I doubt if I'll pre-order this one. Interesting idea though. :wink:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:05 pm

I hate to keep harping on it, but I think the Avenger is something that could keep this idea from happening. Look how long the development has taken. Granted, there were some engineering challenges they've had to overcome, but its hard for me to say "Yes, even if it takes XXX years, I will buy it when it comes out for that much money."

But, there are many hobbyists willing to do that. Look at large scale train modelers. Supposidely its one of the smaller areas of that hobby. But, they just did a very large (and very expensive) steam locomotive this way, and it seemed there was no problem getting enough orders. And, and the manufacture's often point out, the people who buy their stuff come from a wide range of areas.

And one more thing. Even if it meant getting some of the more rare items, I hope we never see this. Too often, special runs become a plague on the hobby. Soon, everything takes on the "limited run" mindset, which drives up the prices on everything - the "collectors" mindset. Right now, the best thing for 1/18 is the fact that such wonderfully detailed planes, tanks, trucks, and figures are available at pretty incredible prices. Allows you to buy more than a few pieces here or there.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:08 pm

I agree with MorianM, the best thing about our 21C toys is the price.

Sure a limited run of a B-25 or 105mm Priest, even a railroad gun (can you imagine the size of Dora in 1/18??) sounds great, $700 a pop doesn't.

1/6 pieces of perfection can easily run to several thousand dollars already......not that I'm about to buy them either......for the same reason...cost.

And anyway, do we even have 2,000 members to pony up that kind of money?

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:51 pm

It's a very nice piece but I don't think it will generate the required orders needed for production. Very limited prospective customers when something is priced over several hundred dollars.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:01 pm

That is one awesome model, but as others have said the price is the killer. I don't even think an 1/18th scale bomber would get the preorders need with a price point of that. And how they say "armor doesn't sell as well" would count any big armor piece out as well with that price tag. Very interesting idea to see if the market is there for something like this.
momaw nadon

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:07 pm

Oh, maybe 21st C and bbi should take note and do this type of thing with the A-10, F-4, or F-14 just with a better price point to see if they would sell? They say they are to big and would cost them more to make, maybe they need to prove that?
momaw nadon

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:35 pm

momaw nadon wrote:Oh, maybe 21st C and bbi should take note and do this type of thing with the A-10, F-4, or F-14 just with a better price point to see if they would sell? They say they are to big and would cost them more to make, maybe they need to prove that?
momaw nadon
Now that would be a fantastic idea. Anything to make them believers that the A-10, F-4, and F-14 will sell and not be mistakes to produce.

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Great idea

Post by eddie372 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:32 pm

That would defenitely be the way to go as far as the B-17 project is concerned. As for me, I'm willing to put my money wher my mouth is. What about it 21C, BBI, Admiral..??
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.