Name that Thirty-Eight...

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Name that Thirty-Eight...

Post by tpa05 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:57 am

Hey Guys,

Can anyone give me any info on a 1:18 scale P-38 from 21st? The one I'm askin' about is a still-in-the-box version being sold by a friend of mine along with some other items. Hoping to include the name of the A/C when he posts the info, we both looked inside the box only to realize that the only markings on the aircraft were the blue/white national markings on the side(s) and wing and the six black "Airvictory circles" with an "X" in the middle. The plane is silver and the color of the spinner(s) is royal blue and red. It also has the standard black anti-glare panel around the cockpit.

Thanks guys for any information you can provide.

John

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Name that Thirty-Eight...

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:19 pm

tpa, that P-38 is the original P-38 21st Century made back in 2002. Back then, the PC police got in the way, so the 21c model lacks some of the markings and nose art. The black for lies with Xs should be swastika kill markings and there should be some nose art consisting of a naked lady in a martini glass with the words "Le Vin, Les Femmes, et les Chansons" (French for "Wine, Women & Songs"). You can see why such artwork wasn't included on what was supposed to be a kids toy sold at Toys R Us :lol:

The model replicates a P-38 flown by Major Paul Sabo when he was flight leader of the 485th fighter squadron, 9th Air Force, in late 1944-1945. Although often called the "D-Day P-38" the scheme really dates to the time around the Battle of the Bulge, a few months after Normandy. Our board member Jackson used to make a set of the historically correct nose art for this P-38.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Name that Thirty-Eight...

Post by tpa05 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Hello Tristan,

Man I don't know if your ears were ringing about 24 hours ago but you were certainly being talked about. As I referenced earlier, I was in Lakeland discussing some items a couple are selling and during our conversation(s) both this website and you in particular (yup, me. I did it....) came up.

Once again, I can't thank you enough for all of your help.

John