Any word on the 21st Century A6M3 Zero?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
3rd Pursuit
Corporal
Corporal

Any word on the 21st Century A6M3 Zero?

Post by 3rd Pursuit » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:57 am

Hey guys. Haven't noticed anything mentioned about this one lately....any word on the eventual release of the XD Zeke? I do already have 2 of the BBI Zeros and have begun to 'accurize' one of them, including enclosing the chin scoop, replacing the guns with aluminum tubing, etc. It's suprising how just enclosing the chin scoop makes a difference viewing it from the front.
Biggest reason I'm asking, to be honest, is I have a plan to take my spare BBI A6M2 wing and marrying it to the 21st Century fuselage to create an A6M3 MODEL 22, arguably the best of the Zero series(even more range than the A6M2, more powerful engine, etc.). Any rumors about when it might be available would be great........at least I might have an idea how long I'll have to wait..... :roll: :roll:

digger
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

ha

Post by digger » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:20 am

I think we would all prefer if they shelf this one, honestly. 3 zeros is just too much. BBI is already out of paint schemes - PH & Green. Done.
I would hate to think 21C is doing anything with the Zero right now with so many other "open" projects. I wouldn't hold my breath for the 21C Zero.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

21C Zeke

Post by Folkwulfe » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:07 pm

I for one would disagree with you Digger. I want to see if 21C has improved on detailing with the "new generation" XD aircraft. And there are plenty of painting and detailing options left for the A6M series. The type 21 pictured in prototype had folding wings...and perhaps more deatail of the Sakaie radial engine. How about modding one to a "Rufe" on floats? As the song says...Imagination's unreal.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:36 pm

I believe the 21c version featured the clipped wing Zero....no folding wingtips.

Admiral Toys showed a prototype of the Zero they are coming out with and it had folding wingtips. As far as i know they are doing it for sure..

Alot of people have mentioned the 'Rufe'. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.....i think it would be a guaranteed shelf sitter in the eyes of the manufacturers. I'd start scratching up some floats if i were you..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:24 pm

aferguson wrote: I'd start scratching up some floats if i were you..
Ive got an itch.

newwavepop
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by newwavepop » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:50 pm

well i would love to have a 21c and admiral toys zero pilot myself.
i cant be the only person on here that only collects figures? anybody?

3rd Pursuit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 3rd Pursuit » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:26 pm

Absolutely correct, the 21st version is of the A6M3 Model 32, clipped wing version. With the Model 32 the Japanese realized they were sacrificing too much range when they upgraded their powerplant, so they 'backpeddled' by using the A6M2 wing and added a couple of extra fuel tanks.
I do agree in a way we should move on, the BBI version is probably enough for now. Personally, from what I saw of the 21st prototype, it's not going to match the accuracy or detail of the BBI version anyway. If you'll look closely at the prototype pics, you'll notice the gear and gear doors appear to be molded in one piece, ala FW190D9, Me109 and Spitfire; not a good start in my opinion. I still thought it might work well for my pet project though.