We Got a B-25 in 1/18 Scale... Sort Of.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

We Got a B-25 in 1/18 Scale... Sort Of.

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:12 pm

I found this at Walmart today... Eat your hearts out, or barf, or whatever :lol:

It is part of the Lanard Corps line and seems to be their answer for the Chap Mei/True Heroes C-130 in terms of making a large scale transport plane. Of course, you can all see that it is basically a B-25 with jet engines :lol:

Here are a few more pics of the box, showing the details and features:

I have not decided what to do with this yet... Whether to open it and save as some sort of GI Joe plane or just make some kids day by donating it to Toys for Tots. The whole thing is just weird and interesting at the same time, so I couldn't resist getting it...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: We Got a B-25 in 1/18 Scale... Sort Of.

Post by flayrah » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:40 pm

That looks like it has potential to make into something somewhat accurate. Would take a lot of work, though. Nicely reproduced nose section, at least.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:48 pm

Tman,
I had this thing in my hands yesterday and was ready to check out with it, when my son brought the fact it has JET engines on it...
I had to put it back.

Does anyone think they could put props on this plane to make it at least sort of look like a B-25?
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:52 am

Last edited by normandy on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:53 am

The engines sit below the wing on the B 25 but its a platform to start with. It would make cool custom.

Tman, show us some pics when you get it opened up.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:04 am

Not having one in my hands, there is a lot that can be done by modification.

re-locate engine nacells
add props
correct wing shape
deleat some weapontry

But with that heavy window framing it will always look toy like.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:21 am

You would be better off hunting down one of the old Flying Kit B-25s in the Rcgroups classifieds..the size and shape are really too far off for even syome extreme modding to save.. The Taft B-25 is also reasonably close, but rather pricey: http://www.bananahobby.com/6-ch-blitzrc ... #navImages
Builder and Collector of RC Aircraft

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:36 pm

There really is no way to save the Corps B-25... I mean it has some neat features like the turret guns and even the waist section guns. The light-up stuff is interesting... But there is just way too much work and it would be easier to get an RC one like what B-29 posted (which looks quite good!)

However, 20+ years ago, I would have been all over something like this... I remember having a conversation with a friend around 1992 or something about how awesome it would be of Hasbro did a WWII-themed extension for their GI Joe line. We were describing how the box art would look, reasonable aircraft they could do (a B-25 was one of them), what the action features could be, etc. Something like this would have been awesome as a little kid...

But then in 2000, along came the 21c XD line that far exceeded my expectations in terms of making realistic WWII aircraft and well the rest of that is history ;)

I think this B-25 Beast Bomber will become a Toys for Tots present.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Looks like the one on banana hobby scales out to pretty close on the fuselage indeed B-29. I have found the dimensions vary from the stated specs on these foamie RC's sometimes so I'll get one and measure the thing out and see if it's viable to rework somewhat.. Thanks for the handy link B-29!

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:53 pm

No problem, glad to help! Just a warning, I believe that this B-25 is being discontinued, so get it while you can! Several other vendors used to carry it, but they have all dropped it from their inventory except for banana. I've moved pretty heavily into the RC side of the hobby, but I love when it works out to 1/18 scale. On a side note, if anyone is interested in a 1/18 B-17, they are available here: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/b-17-v2-fly ... set-1.html. As another side note, both come with retractable gear. If you want to use them, get an RC servo tester unit, and plug it into the gear channel. Then you can raise/lower them as you see fit. I have built both a static 1/18 B-25, and an RC 1/18 B-17 and can post photos if anyone is interested. They sure are awesome models to have around if you can find the space for them!

I also remember a while back, aferguson had some contact with a BBi rep and had found out that they had built prototypes of a 1/18 B-17 and C-47. Unfortunately, the vendors thought that they would be too large and costly, so they weren't interested and the idea was abandoned. It is understandable, but certainly a shame that they never saw the light of day. Much like the 21C A-10..

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:53 pm

I can report that the order processed and I received a confirmation from Banana that it will ship this week. I ordered the green one but the silver version is still listed in stock. I have the HPH 1/18 B-17 nose, I have contracted a RC laser kit cutter to re scale a highly accurate much larger B-17 to exactly 1/18 scale. Someday way way down the list of projects I will marry the well detailed HPH nose to a B-17F/G model... A nacelle master will need to be made but the hellcat or corsair prop should be the right hub and a slight reshape of the blades to correct dimensions should do the trick for a pure static model... I have requested Quotes from a couple different kit cutters for

1/18 B-17,
Black widow
Tigercat
B-24
DC-3
Mosquito

I was curious so I also inquired about a B-36!!! (Not Realistic but fun to know)

I'll share pricing once I have it. Laser cut short kits require substantial scratch building so that's probably a 10 year list there...:)

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:30 am

B-29 wrote:I also remember a while back, aferguson had some contact with a BBi rep and had found out that they had built prototypes of a 1/18 B-17 and C-47. Unfortunately, the vendors thought that they would be too large and costly, so they weren't interested and the idea was abandoned. It is understandable, but certainly a shame that they never saw the light of day. Much like the 21C A-10..
Those would be something to see. I wonder if they still exist or were 'lost' at some point. While exceptionally popular, I can understand while the B17 would be a hard sale - size and price - but a C47 has SO many variations and possibilities I think it would have a better chance in the market. Years ago when 21st was talking about a B17, I suggested selling it in pieces to even out the production and sales prices - nose section; center fuselage with bomb bay; tail section; etc. so more units could be manufactured for the pieces with greater interest - nose - and fewer units made of wings, etc.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:32 am

B-29 wrote: As another side note, both come with retractable gear. If you want to use them, get an RC servo tester unit, and plug it into the gear channel. Then you can raise/lower them as you see fit. I have built both a static 1/18 B-25, and an RC 1/18 B-17 and can post photos if anyone is interested. They sure are awesome models to have around if you can find the space for them!
Would love to see your B-17s. Did you get your own nose art or did some come standard with the planes?
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:08 am

Razor17019 wrote: Would love to see your B-17s. Did you get your own nose art or did some come standard with the planes?
Razor
Here are some shots of the B-17 in flight. Several different decals options came with the airplane, but I made my own nose art to honor the crew of this particular airplane. I actually met the ball turret gunner of this airplane, and he had some incredible stories.

Shomare
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Shomare » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 pm

I would definitely be down for hearing the prices for these:
DC-3 - OH YES!
B-17 (What was the cost on the HPH nose again? I can't remember, but I thought of that same thing when I first saw it).
B-24

The props, canopy, landing gear, all would be a pain unfortunately. I think I would beg Pickel to make those portions for me since he can do the canopy pretty good.