Operation Market Garden OMG Figures - What do you think?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Operation Market Garden OMG Figures - What do you think?

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:26 pm

Hey guys,
Got my hands on some of the new OMG figures and I really like them.
I have a couple questions on them - and I want to know how you guys feel about them??

Was I seeing something different on the 21st Website when the first pics were shown - didn't some of the figures have 2 heads????

Can you easily pop off their heads like the BOB figures???

One of the new OMG figures has the same equipment as a US Paratrooper (radio in one hand and binocs in the other)
But the OMG figures has improved joints.

What do you have to say about these new OMG figures??
and anyone out there to anwser my questions??
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:31 pm

The two heads figures were the new BoB figures not the OMG figures. From my understanding the OMG figures are just a reuse of the paratrooper SGt. Davis body molded in a different colorand the jump ready figure is a reuse of the Cpl. Ruppert mold. From the pics I have seen, all the accessories are the original paratrooper accessories just colored differently.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:50 pm

need brits..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:42 pm

I've passed on these. Between the original paras and the MM set, I think I got enough of these guys (not my favorite head sculpts). Waiting for the new BOB to get the extra heads and customizing fodder.

digger

what else is new?

Post by digger » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:59 pm

aferguson wrote:need brits..
:lol: I think most of us want Brits, but thousands of Americans dropped in OMG. I don't see these as not good because we don't have Brits. And I don't think we got these instead of Brits - as said they are a redo of older guys. If we let what we don't have somehow taint what we do have, then we'll always be miserable. :? I think figures on the shelves all the time is good for us & the hobby.

One problem with these guys pointed out to me by another member is that the jump ready guy has the old D-day get-yourself-killed rig, and not the later one used in OMG.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:48 pm

I got a good look at a full set of the OMG paratroopers at a Wal Mart in my area and while the figures look nice and sell for the right price, they were not that much different from the S1 paras, save they are painted green, come with an extra helmet, accessory or two and have different names on the card. Between the 21c S1 paras, the figures that came with some of the re-released Wal Mart vehicles, and all the BBI stuff, I have enough paratroopers and would love more standard (non-winter) WWII infantry troops. Consequently, I passed on them.

I am more excited by the upcoming BoB figures, as those seem to have a little more versatility as far as what can be done with them!

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:13 am

I like the new OMG figures, even if they are reissues, mainly because I missed out on the S1 Paras. Plus, as somebody else pointed out, new figures on the shelves is always a good thing!

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 am

I haven't found any OMG figures yet. When are the new BoB guys due out ? I'm gonna get a ship load of them. :wink:

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:44 am

I'm game for these, haven't seen them yet, but I'd gladly get a full set and try and build a "Private Wilson Head" army of riflemen to accompany all the others... That was my sort of tactic with the Marines... Not a fan of the specific sculpts really, but there was that one or two nice headsculpts in there.

I may pass on jump ready's though... I'm just not a fan of those, and I have a hefty D-Day jump diorama going with all the BBI guys... They're just dull.

I want the OMG "set" though with a nice smattering of extra riflemen with the neutral headsculpts though to fill out the set up. They're not as interesting as the D-Day guys or basic infantry, but they'll do.

It would be NICE to have some Germans for them to shoot, but unless you cleaned up S1 Germans you're just SOL right now I guess.

And yes I want brits and Canuckleheads too. :)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:02 am

I'll get em all as soon as they hit my area! Every time you can walk into a Walmart and see figures on the shelf... :D It's a GOOD THING!

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:10 am

holensock wrote:I'll get em all as soon as they hit my area! Every time you can walk into a Walmart and see figures on the shelf... :D It's a GOOD THING!
I'll second that completely.

We'd been backed up with marines, but not one clearance on them and I'd say out of 2 dozen pegs (literally) overflowing with these between the two stores I visit, and restocked a number of times, they're down to just a handful of marines at either store.

Other stores have similar situations that I get to less frequently.

Figures = good to see. They're the one thing that should STEADILY be on the shelves. Planes and big armor should trade off then here and there... The small and mid-size vehicles should have some more steady rotation. Generally that's the way other successful lines tend to do things and I agree that it's probably in 21st's best interest to focus things upward from the smaller items first and so-on.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

newwavepop
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by newwavepop » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:53 am

well i bought the market garden guys as i never did find any of these s1 paras, but i have to admit i would much prefer the s1 figures, they seem a little more interesting and varied to me.
though i was thinking there have been alot of paras coming out lately.

i personally would like more german figures of rank, im all about the uniforms.
and though i know they wouldnt be that helpful for dioramas i would still like to see an occasional oddball character thrown in the assortments, like a japanese imperial navy figure or a british figure etc..

Loki
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Loki » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:51 pm

I'm all ways glad to find new figures but I am a little disapointed with these, mainly that all the assessories don't match up with the body used, so there are a lot of unsightly holes on the figures. And I'm personly a little biased against them as the only one I bought so far, had a large square peg on his backpack and a small round hole on his back and when I was carving down the peg with an exacto knife I slipped and sliced open my finger (the evil little guy, LOL).

digger

Post by digger » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:09 pm

I am a little disapointed with these, mainly that all the assessories don't match up with the body used, so there are a lot of unsightly holes on the figures
that sucks. :? I hadn't heard that. :( I have plenty of extra gear so I'm sure I could fill all the holes but if it's your first set I agree that's really lousy :roll:.

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:28 pm

Loki is right about the accessories. Some guys don't have enough, some have too many, some have ones that don't fit any of the holes on the body, and some have enough accessories, but due to size and logical placement can't fit on the figure at the same time. One of the figures has the hole on his boot for an accessory, but no accessory that looks right in it. Another has the 10 Thompson clip pouch that goes on the chest, but due to hole placement in the torso, it doesn't fit snugly or in the right place. I still really like these guys though and may get multiples of all but the jump ready guy. I definitely will get multiples of the guy with the rifle ammo bandolier and rifle with shoulder sling. Best two accessories of the lot in my opinion. Hope to add some pics of them to my website soon.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:32 pm

I am glad you guys pointed out the more holes vs equipment problem.
I opened up the guy the sling on the rifle in the car and placed it all in a plastic bag. I got home to place all the equipment on him and there just wasn't enough. I thought I had lost some of it or going crazy!

The reissue 82nd Airborne figures that sometimes came out with the reissue command car had some problems too. Some of their equipment would not fit no matter how hard you try. But the exact duplicate 1st issue Airborne - all his items fit great!

You would think a reissue design would be at least as good as the previous issued one.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

newwavepop
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by newwavepop » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:44 am

well that sucks, i havent opened any yet havent gotten to it, but now i dont know if i should bother?
i still need the original guys anyway.