I need weathering

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
lsc1002
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

I need weathering

Post by lsc1002 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Any one got any good tips on weathering/chipping the paint job on a model? Tiger I tank is the project.
Thanks
Lance
"Tigers!?.....Where did the Tigers come from!?!"

digger
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

paint damage

Post by digger » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:18 am

Yup - Use the color you want to appear below your top coat and apply very, very little paint to your brush (basically wipe off the paint with a PT) and push down as you brush raised edges. As the edges pick up the paint left deep in the brush they will looked scuffed.

This is also a good technique for weapons - you could use gunmetal paint on black areas, or black paint on modern weapons already painted tan. You will notice the former was all 21st did to the MP-44 when released with the BoB figure to make it a whole new weapon when compared to the all black S1 version.

Aside from sandpaper to take paint off edges, you could use a piece of pastel or chalk the color you want below your topcoat. Just run the chalk over the edge you want to stand out. You can see on the corner of the hull here:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/254 ... 6609MZToHe#

What is (supposed :oops: ) to look like worn winter wash exposing grey paint is actually grey pastel over white paint. You get the idea. :D

Too much pastel/chalk you could just wipe away. If you want to seal your work so you can handle the vehicle you can use a spray can of dull coat or the like. Personally I like to keep the options open for more wear & tear..or less...I find the more fun you have with it the better it looks :P

lsc1002
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by lsc1002 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:55 am

Thnaks for the info. Have a good one

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:32 pm

I saw an article in a modelling magazine for a technique for showing metal undersurfaces on worn aircraft. You applied the underlayer (in this case silver) and then something like wax is dripped on areas you want fatigued. Then you paint the topcoat and after it dries scrape off the wax revealing the metal underneath. I can't remember if it was wax or some other modelling compound but the pictures looked good. Maybe someone else can chime in if they have tried this.
Todd

lsc1002
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by lsc1002 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks Todd. My brother saw the same article but also could not remember what was put over the under coat.

problemchild
Corporal
Corporal

Post by problemchild » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:27 am

This has to be the best part of doing any armor piece.Here is a winter stug I and tiger use only water base paint and add layers with airbrush starting from dark to light in this case for winter camo dark panzer grey then start adding white in steps to give the paint depth.once dry start thin washes of browns and blacks add in areas were water and mud would fly up or sneak through.The way I add chips is with a fine brush and use the base color or silver don't go to crazy it will kill the effect.I stay away from pastels although they give great colors you cant really seal them the way you can seal paint.