1/16 RC M1A1 Abrams Tank ( TRU)

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

1/16 RC M1A1 Abrams Tank ( TRU)

Post by skorzeny » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:44 pm

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/16 RC M1A1 Abrams Tank ( TRU)

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:14 pm

That actually doesn't look too bad, especially for something in a True Heroes box at TRU! It needs a repaint, but that wouldn't be too hard to achieve... I'll need to check my local stores again. They just got in the new BBI M1A2, but its way more toyish than that looks.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:25 pm

Looks like the Hobby Engine Abrams. I bought one the first year they came out. Dillard's had them as a seasonal Christmas gift item around ten to twelve years ago. I was poverty stricken at the time and took a chance on buying one on clearance after the holidays. Managed to get one for around $55, which was about half off the original price.

There seems to be a lot variations in functions on the releases. Mine didn't have working suspension. It did have a nice recoil on the main gun. Didn't shoot anything, but the barrel had an LED that flashed.

The TRU version looks like it has working suspension and main gun that fires airsoft ammo.

Overall, very happy with it. Thumbs up. The 'weak link' for this tank is the rubber tracks don't age well. They dry out, get hard and brittle. For a static display, that isn't a problem.

The Heng Long Abrams is pretty nice, other than nearly twice the price and the lame WWII tank driver. Also, IMO, the paint color is too dark.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:14 am

I picked up the True Heroes M1 Abrams at TRU last Friday. It seems a good deal for $80. I haven't taken it out of the box just yet, so can't comment on how well it runs, etc. It does appear to have independent suspension and basic RC features, similar to the 21c RC vehicles. Its big in 1:16 and the detailing is actually pretty good. It has an accurate commander figure as well. Really, its one of the more realistic military toys I've seen at TRU in a while, even counting the new BBI items. I'm not an overall fan of the solid green color and plan to give it a repaint into a desert tan scheme with some basic weathering and a few stowage accessories added on. If it runs well, it should be a nice addition to my slowly-growing fleet of 1:16 armor.

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:21 pm

happy the works for you tmanthegreat

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:57 pm

I took the tank out of the box this evening. Its actually pretty solid in construction and well detailed. Looking up pictures online, the TRU/True Heroes tank is just repaint or retooling of the Hobby Engine/Hobby Zone 1:16 scale RC M1A1 Abrams. The vehicle takes 6 AA batteries to power the tank and one 9V battery for the remote control.

Operating it works in the same fashion as the 21c 1:18 and 1:6 scale RC vehicles. The control has two levers - pushing them forward moves the tank forward; pushing backward moves the tank in reverse. Pushing them in opposite directions turns the tank. The tank is able to create the full range of realistic movement with the tracks working independently from each other. It has scale speed, meaning it doesn't run too fast for its size. When switched on, the tank makes an "engine idling" sound and has an "engine running" sound when in movement. Working headlights (which are actually pretty bright) shine when moving forward. Red tail lights shine when in reverse.

Two buttons on the top of the remote operate additional functions. The left top button rotates the turret left or right. Rotating the turret plays a whiny movement sound. There is no gun elevation feature and one has to push the gun into the desired position. The right top button on the remote creates a machine gun sound when pushed left and "fires" the cannon (making a cannon firing sound) when pushed to the right. The tank does not shoot BBs or other projectiles, but the does have a somewhat realistic "recoil" effect - basically the tank jerks backwards a little when "firing" the main gun. It doesn't roll backward several inches like the 21c tanks do. I thought the realistic recoil function was a nice touch :)

The commander's cupola and loader's MG rotate, but otherwise, there aren't any other moving features or opening hatches. The tow cables, guns, and some other parts are all separately attached pieces, which give some realistic detail.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the tank. For $85, its a good deal. I'm now deciding on some way to repaint it or at least add some heavy weathering to make it look a little less like a toy :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:18 pm

A few photos of my tank doing some trial outdoor runs on the very dry grass in my backyard. I decided to keep the vehicle the green base color, adding some mud and dust weathering. In the 1980s and 1990s, there were M1A1s with all-green paint jobs, particularly those stationed in Germany and some USMC tanks, so my tank is reasonably accurate... Lots of custom potential with this vehicle :D

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:12 pm

That does look pretty good. They just need to do an R/C 1/18 King Tiger next :lol:
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:17 am

Nice beast, woul be glad to see a video about how it moves! How far is it really 1/16?

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:56 pm

wow looks great !. nice pics