1/18th Hellcat

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

1/18th Hellcat

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:06 pm

I know this subject has been brought up several times in other posts but I have to vent a little guys. I just saw a special on the Military Channel about the F6F Hellcat and it was very nice to see and very informative. Then I looked at my 1/32nd model of the Hellcat I built and then glanced at my BBI Corsair. Again as I have done so many times I wondered why in the hell hasnt either 21st or BBI produced a 1/18th Hellcat? Dont we have enough Mustangs, Sptifires, FW-190's, Corsairs ect? We got a taste of what might be a Hellcat when we saw pics of it at the BBI booth at the toy fair or whatever event it was. It was a mock up I'm sure but damn you have the idea BBI now why dont you just do it? I feel like the guys here who are hungering for the A-10! This great fighter had a 19-1 kill/loss ratio, produced the most U.S Aces in the Pacific theater and was more loved then the vaunted Corsair and was the scourge of the Japanese Empire and yet we have seen NOTHING from 21st or BBI. I have a feeling it wasnt beautiful enough or BBI and 21st dont think it will sell enough and if thats what they believe they are wrong and full of crap! I think it would sell very well and I think most of us would shell out the cash to buy it, I know I would. I'm tired of the "wait and see" and feel for those who want the A-10. I want a Hellcat! Anyone with me on this? Ok I have vented enough but I hope my voice was heard by the people who speak to BBI or 21st because its about time the Hellcat get its just due.

:?
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:46 pm

I agree, the Hellcat would be awesome. I may be naive here but I really think BBi will be making one. Their mockup was clean and they have always been very quiet up until release. I never would have thought they would make a zero and bam!, here it is. I think the Hellcat is right around the corner. :D

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

YES!!

Post by Charlemagne » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:44 pm

Mightymustang,

Amen and pass out the HELLCATS!!
It's way passed getting its due.

Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:58 pm

Yes! A Hellcat is a must! Many cool color schemes avilable and just an all-around great looking plane. Definately one of my favorites and... yes, I just happen to have a nice spot remaining on the ceiling to hang one up. :D
Perhaps 21C could even borrow from the mechanics of the Avenger to give the Hellcat a cool wing folding design!

Rogo

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:09 pm

As one of those "hungering" for the A-10 to be done, I sympathize with you whole heartedly MightyMustang. It's time BOTH aircraft were done as they deserve to be, just like the Zero. (Hopefully from what we saw a few months ago, both aircraft will become 1/18 realities.)

Keep the faith... :wink:

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:26 pm

I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting support for the Hellcat. It's an awesome plane and should be a part of the XD world.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:47 pm

If they do make a Hellcat, please do DAVID CAMPBELL scheme first!!!!!
To this day I have no idea why 21st keep ignoring a Richard Bong scheme for their P-38s.

How about top aces scheme first?

We have a top Marine corsair already "Boyington". (Though many people still contend with Boyington's final score.

What about top Army ace?

Top Navy ace? (Campbell...please, oh please!)

Top ETO ace?

Please?

digger

well

Post by digger » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:28 am

GooglyDoogly wrote:If they do make a Hellcat, please do DAVID CAMPBELL scheme first!!!!!
To this day I have no idea why 21st keep ignoring a Richard Bong scheme for their P-38s.

How about top aces scheme first?

We have a top Marine corsair already "Boyington". (Though many people still contend with Boyington's final score.

What about top Army ace?

Top Navy ace? (Campbell...please, oh please!)

Top ETO ace?

Please?
I thought there were occassionally licensing issues with these birds and pilots? Perhaps that's a factor?

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:53 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about the BBI "Killer" situation. I think it's still doable with a Campbell bird. His Hellcat has one of the most simplest scheme yet, an all navy-blue bird with big white stars and bars (no circle around the star), the name "Minsi III" written near the cockpit, and his 30+ Japanese kill score.

To avoid licensing issues, perhaps BBI or 21st just do an all-blue Hellcat, and maybe Lair would make additional decals to make it a Campbell plane.

Has Lair expressed any interest of making a "Marge" decal for the P-38?

I tried doing my own decals when I made a custom "SCAT VI" Mustang, and it was a hit and miss situation. I was just happy it turned out well.

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:14 am

I most certainly would plunk down the money for a few different Hellcat paint schemes. I also am curious as to why many of the top aces planes haven't been represented. I know we have plenty of P-47 bubbletops, but I would sure like to see a Gabrieski for historical sake (maybe a legends series?) and a Tarheel Hal just because it is an awesome paint job. Sorry, just a little detour off topic. Definitely want the Hellcat and I have faith that the BBI mockup we saw will be a reality.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:50 am

Just keep your fingers crossed. We may very well see it, now that it was displayed this year.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

mondaytanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mondaytanker » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:49 am

Ah man! You guys need to be more specific in your subjects.

I thought you were asking for a 1/18, M-18, Hellcat tank destroyer. :oops: That would be cool. :D

Mondaytanker

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:34 am

I vote for a USS Princeton F6F-3 or 5.

All military aircraft belong to the Govt. (ie us) So there can't be any copyright infringement.

Paul Tibbets didn't own Enola Gay, nor did Chuck Yeager own Glam. Glen.

In this time of PC, anything is possible. :roll:

digger

well

Post by digger » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:47 am

Rogue wrote:I vote for a USS Princeton F6F-3 or 5.

All military aircraft belong to the Govt. (ie us) So there can't be any copyright infringement. :roll:
I wish it were that easy. There is also trademark law, and there's always more to it than you think :wink:

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:53 am

Yep, the plane is gov't issue. But, the artwork on the plane belongs to the artist and not the gov't. Go figure.
Aaron

Emil Frand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Emil Frand » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:05 am

Whered you guys get the info on the copyright infringement concerning WW2 paint schemes? I think your way off the mark on that and has nothing to do with what planes they release. But if it is true Id like to see it.
I think it has more to do with milking what they can from current releases. I mean why rush production of every popular plane ever made? Its like computer companies, video cards and cpu's especially, first its a 64meg card let that go for a year realease a 128 and so and so on, ya cant tell me Intel couldnt have skipped over say a 2ghz cpu and jumped right to 2.5.
Its business, these guys no doubt have LONG term plans and know what they want to do when. With BBI, 21st and Admiral(?) things will probably step up a bit since whoever releases the first of something will have a jump on the others. Ive no doubt were in store for everything we could possibly want from them, it just aint gonna be tomorrow.

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:29 pm

Quixote511 wrote:Yep, the plane is gov't issue. But, the artwork on the plane belongs to the artist and not the gov't. Go figure.
Aaron
So if I come paint cheesecake on your front door, does that mean I own it?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

digger

well,

Post by digger » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:41 pm

Emil Frand wrote:Whered you guys get the info on the copyright infringement concerning WW2 paint schemes? I think your way off the mark on that and has nothing to do with what planes they release. But if it is true Id like to see it.
Here is a quote from Mike from bbi,
"We work with all these companies under license arrangements and your people should be aware that we are not always able to do some specific art or colour schemes because of copyright, trademark and license issues...this area is very complex and is not covered by "one rule" but rather on individual cases so I will not discuss this matter any further. Just be aware it is not always simple and not always public domain."

If you think he is "way off the mark" then drop me a PM and we can discuss both CR & TM law (I won't charge you :wink: ).

You are right though, why give the best first? That's why you got Marine's Dream as your first Corsair from bbi. It's why you didn't get Cripes, Petie or Old Crow as your first Mustang :wink:

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:52 pm

i don't care if it comes in primer
i want a Hellcat
i have an airbrush i can paint it

Emil Frand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Emil Frand » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:43 pm

Thx Digger,
Have someone looking into it for me, so far there have been some lawsuits where actual aircraft companies sued toy manufacturers. Maybe thats the hub bub. So far nothing concerning WW2 pilots suing anyone over this.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:24 pm

Rogue wrote:
Quixote511 wrote:Yep, the plane is gov't issue. But, the artwork on the plane belongs to the artist and not the gov't. Go figure.
Aaron
So if I come paint cheesecake on your front door, does that mean I own it?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The shape of the splatter, the color and texture of the cheesecake, and the overall image of the mess is yours to own and patent. The door and the house is not. :wink:

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:37 am

Emil Frand wrote:Thx Digger,
Have someone looking into it for me, so far there have been some lawsuits where actual aircraft companies sued toy manufacturers. Maybe thats the hub bub. So far nothing concerning WW2 pilots suing anyone over this.
I believe this has to do with the pilots and their families. This subject was touched on long ago. For example, Bong's "Marge" has her image on it, and as such there is some licensing issues with the family. So, it's not with the aircraft company.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Yes

Post by eddie372 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:52 am

Absolutely agree! The Hellcat is a must and should be produced...pronto!
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:28 am

hi guys
i was on a german site and they are listing in 1/18
Hellcat
Me-110
Me-262
Mig-15
all coming in 2006
:roll: :D :) :shock:

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:18 am

Interesting...all those have been rumored at one time or another, but there has been no mention about any of them for months. If true, good news indeed!