Question about Dragon 1/18th figures

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Loki
Corporal
Corporal

Question about Dragon 1/18th figures

Post by Loki » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:32 pm

Hi,
I just ordered myself a set of the Dragon 1/18 German Panzer Grenadiers due to a shortage of available German troops and was wondering what the general opinion of these are? I don't see them talked about much here on the board but from the photos (in package only) I've seen of them they look good and I know about the limited articulation. I'm planning on setting them up beside the XD BOB Germans will they work good or did I waste my money?

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

Action 18

Post by digger » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:34 pm

Just mentioned these on the 1/32 side...I should say they are fragile and limited in their positions (even with swapping arms), but worth it nonetheless. The weapons are the most amazing 1:18 scale weapons by far, with visible bolts on the rifles. The early Germans - either set in grey - are loaded with goodies and well worth it. They will go fine with the XD, though the Dragon heads are too big :?

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:04 am

THe positives and negatives with Dragon's stuff are about even to me, though their biggest negative is the most disappointing thing I find with any action figure.

Dragon's stuff is exquisitely sculpted, and they look fine (or better) than a lot of 21st's early figures really as far as details go. They're just a crisper, more realistic figure ultimately.

They do mix great though, they don't look awkward together, and their poses are impossible to acheive with the levels of articulation the current offerings have. Just can't duplicate the poses, but unfortunately you can't alter them either. :) You can mix/match parts, but that's it and that's dull to me.

I do have a set of Panzer Gren's, and I got them set up in a really neat ambush looking diorama with my French Farmhouse. Two crouching guys on the 2nd floor with a Panzerschreck... One's even cradling the projectile to load it for the other guy... I have a duplicate of the blonde walking the jerry rigged ladder too.

They look awesome, and their gear is unmatched in my book. I've hollowed some of their extra helmets I accumulated for my Battle of the Bulge extras to mix things up a little... I love their gear though, it's fantastic. I just don't like that you can't pose these figures at all. That's a huge disappointment. Dragon could really be a force if they wanted to be with high quality 1:18 figures (but likely at a higher price). They just don't seem to want to give the effort. Too bad.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:42 am

Actually, I have some trepidation about Dragon focusing their undivided attention to the 1/18 line. Because they would dominate it and possibly run 21st out of business (which none of us would like).

As to quality and prices, Dragon has a way of delivering excellent products at low cost. Take their newer model kits. Those 3-in-1 kits, with 800 parts, photoetched details, individual track links, brass barrels, etc, cost around $30! While it's main competitor's models (Tamiya) are around $50-60.

Take the 1/6 line. 21st used to dominate that market because they're way ahead of Hasbro in detail and quality. But then Dragon came out with their 1/6 figures, which is light-years ahead of 21st, and has an MSRP of only $5.00 more than 21st.

I can only dream of BBI vs Dragon in the 1/18 arena, because when those two companies battled in the 1/6 market, it elevated the detail and quality of that market. Have you seen recently what 1/6 figures and their accessories look like? Do you remember 21st figures with their velcro straps and dickey shirts? No wonder 21st folded like a wet towel in the 1/6 figure market.

And the amount of products that would flood the market! No more 2-3 years to wait for a particular plane, maybe just 4-6 months in between.

But that scenario would like drive 21st to the ground.

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:47 am

I HAVE 200 DRAGON FIGURES & THEY WORK FINE WITH 21ST FIGURES BLENDING IN WELL. THE FACES ARE NOT AS TOUGH LOOKING, BUT THE HELMUTS COVER THAT ASPECT FAIRLY WELL. THERE ARE TWO FIGURES THAT ARE SQUATING DOWN WHICH CAN BE USED EXTENSIVELY SUCH AS RIDING ON TANKS & MOTOR BIKES & WILL WORK WELL WITH ARTILLERY PIECES IF 21ST EVER GIVE US ONE. (I NOTICE THERE IS A NEW COLD STEEL SERIES 1/32 GUN NOW OUT MAKING 3 GUNS MADE BY 21ST IN THAT SCALE). I HAVE SWAPPED HEADS & ARMS TO BREAK UP THE STANDARD LINE & THEY COME WITH PLENTLY OF WEAPONS. HAVE ASKED DRAGON TO CONTINUE WITH THEIR OTHER LINE 'ACTION 18 PLUS' WHICH HAS STALLED FOR SEVERAL YEARS WITH ONLY 2 FIGURES RELEASED, BUT NO REPONSE TO DATE.

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by 75th Ranger » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:34 am

great figures i have used them in all my WWII dioramas..excellent and they key is to mix them and match them with the other brand figures!

great detail, but limitted articulation. Good extra accessories!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

newwavepop
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by newwavepop » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:59 am

they do look good.
the problem for me is i generally have my figures in neutral poses just lined up, and after i got all of these i opened the 2 most normal standing ones out of the bunch and i cant even get them to stand so they have all just been sitting in my closet for a year or 2 now.

to me just doing a simple improvment on there legs would make a entire world of difference.

i cant tell you how mad i was when my wittmann figure showed up and i realized that his legs were stuck in the most useless pose i have ever seen on any figure, and at like $35.

but they are beautiful looking figures.

digger

Action 18

Post by digger » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:08 am

I have some trepidation about Dragon focusing their undivided attention to the 1/18 line. Because they would dominate it and possibly run 21st out of business (which none of us would like).
The power of Dragon came up on the 1/32 side too...let's not give them too much credit. They did try 1:18, and it didn't work.
The small price increase you mentioned mattered in 1:18 - a $5 fig going to $7 is almost 50% higher price. 2d, the detail was there but at the sacrifice of articulation which hurt sales (for example Jesse James would have 50 instead of just 6), and with these little guys the companies need to sell many :shock: 3rd, they were not toys - they will crumble in the hands of children. 4th, the distribution sucked. 5th the product flow became so unreliable - there would be long stretches with no word from Dragon as we waited and waited for overdue figures (Operation Cobra anyone?).

Don't get me wrong, I would love if Dragon gave it another crack, and would even pay $8-10 a figure if that's what it took, but let's not think Dragon has some sort of "Midas touch" in every scale. Oh, and planes? Dragon would have no chance building $40 toys that look like models and sell 5000 off the shelf at TRU. Not happening.

Let's give bbi and 21st some deserved recognition - they are the only two companies who have made 1:18 military work. Intoyz? Done. Dragon? Done. Dusty Trails? Done. Hell, even small Joes are just hanging on. So, when we cry for new stuff now, we should ask why no other companies are making the stuff. :wink:

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:32 am

Neh, that the same stuff 21st 1/6 fans said when Dragon first entered the foray in 1/6thback in 99'. Well look at the result. :D

Dragon 1/18 didn't really "didn't work", they just didn't paid that much attention too it, compared to their other stuff. Some people in the modelling community even feel that Dragon is not paying as much attention to their model kits compared to the 1/6th line, causing some grumbling. You should hear these guys blast those who collects "battle Barbies".

Come on now, If you see a Dragon fig at Wal Mart at $7 vs a 21st fig at $5, and you only have money to buy one or the other, you would really choose the 21st figure?

digger

well

Post by digger » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:10 pm

Dragon 1/18 didn't really "didn't work", they just didn't paid that much attention too it, compared to their other stuff. Some people in the modelling community even feel that Dragon is not paying as much attention to their model kits compared to the 1/6th line
Well, maybe that is why Dragon 1/6 is the success you say - at the expense of their Models [and the 1:18] :(
Everyone's resources have some limit. :P

I personally would buy the better of the two figures, but I know when I was a kid which one my mom would have bought me. :wink:

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:37 pm

Yeah, that's my only gripe with Mothers in general...they may know how to take care of an entire household, but they know squat about important stuff. :D

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:25 am

Come on now, If you see a Dragon fig at Wal Mart at $7 vs a 21st fig at $5, and you only have money to buy one or the other, you would really choose the 21st figure?
If the Dragon figure was a Grenadier, even the good removable helmet ones, and the 21st figure was a German Open Coat... I'd take the 21st figure actually. :) I like my Dragon dudes, but they were better compared to 21st's 1st series figures I think, but up against the Jap figures, or the Marines, or the Bulge figures, or BBI's WW2 the Dragon stuff doesn't compare because of articulation... My only gripe though.

If Dragon's 1:18 figures were as articulated as the 21st Para's, then I'd be aiming for that $7 Dragon figure I think. :)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:18 am

Oh sure, pick the one of the best XD figure out there, and compare it to a basic Dragon figure...that's fair. :D :P