Thoughts on 1:18 scale A/C kits? Would anybody make them?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Thoughts on 1:18 scale A/C kits? Would anybody make them?

Post by USCGMK2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:26 pm

What is everyones opinion on 1:18 scale aircraft kits? I liked the fact that 21C made some kits of their 1:32 A/C of which you could also buy the complete painted aircraft without hopefully having the QC issues. But I wonder why nobody ever made a 1:18 scale kit. I think this would be cost effective for the companies (no painting/assembly on their end) and lets the buyer choose what they want the A/C to look like. Like 21C they could put decals in for various unit A/C. Plus if you want to add details or not you have the choice while you put it together.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Thoughts on 1:18 scale A/C kits? Would anybody make them

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:28 pm

I have and I will.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:47 pm

I know, you have made some great 1:18 things I've seen on here. If I could just win the lotto one of the things on my agenda is to make 1:18 scale A/C, especially bombers B-29 B-17 and a Betty that will take up an entire room.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:00 am

While I've been buying Pickelhaube's 1:18 kits for years, I think it would be a neat idea to see actual manufacturers take this on in a more concerted way. To date, apart from Pickelhaube, Grunt1, Skyworks, efforts, really only Pegasus has made 1:18 aircraft kits - the X-1 and V-1 flying bomb.

I thought it might have been neat for 21c to have offered pre-painted kits of their 1:18 planes that you would have to glue and assemble - they would come painted, you would build it. In their time, it might have saved on costs...

But I think there are some factors that keep 1:18 kits from really taking off...

Other scales are popular, but 1:18 really is not:
I've seen any number of 1:32 aircraft kits over the years, so I know that's a popular scale. Never mind 1:35, 1:48 and on down. The HK B-25 and B-17 kits only add to that appeal of 1:32 scale. Oddly enough, Dragon seems to have a bit of success with their 1:6 kits from weapons, to jeeps, to Sherman tanks, but those appeal to the large 1:6 collector community.

But it seems that 1:18 scale, for whatever reason, has not caught on in the larger world of model building (just read Pickelhaube's thread about entering the Horten into a local model contest...). Remember, we here are largely a fringe minority and a majority of potential consumers had no idea - and still have no idea - of the 1:18 scale items. Those that do may associate them more with toys (which the 21c planes by and large were).

The Cost Factor:
A 1:18 scale kit is going to be pricey, especially for a larger more detailed subject like a bit plane. We're already seeing the high prices that can result from truly detailed pre-built 1:18 models like the JSI F-14 and Merit Dauntlesses. The HK 1:32 kits can be priced anywhere from $150 to $300 for an unbuilt 1:32 model. I just built a Frame Master 4D F-14 1:32 model and that pre-painted snap-together kit cost me $150. The Dragon 1:6 tank kits cost $200-$500 range and have a ton of parts. Given all this, something like a 1:18 B-17 kit could cost hundreds of dollars and that doesn't even count the money on the pain, glue, putty, and other supplies that would be needed. Costs like that would turn away all but the most die-hard builders.

Then there is the size factor on the larger items...

Those are just my random thoughts :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:44 am

!/18 will take off when 3D printing becomes relatively economical for the serious hobby crowd, who will make things for themselves and then be able to reproduce them for friends and customers more readily than those still using molds and resin.

I believe cost is the major factor keeping 1/18 from taking off, since there are tons of action figures out there that fit that scale but don't have properly scaled accessories to go with them. Size is only a factor because bigger means more material used and thus higher production costs -- 1/6 is large enough that the WOW factor overrides the costs. A 12" Joe looks far more impressive cruising along in a King Tiger than a 3 3/4" Joe does. More than 3x as impressive, in fact.

3D printing will open up a realm of heretofore nearly unobtainable niche items that mainstream manufacturers cannot see providing returns on their investment in prototyping and production.

That 3D printing guy who made the 30-round magazines has been granted a Federal license to print weapons, so keep hope alive, gentlemen. Your toys will come.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:05 am

1/18th is the only scale I collect. But when there are thousands of (civilian) die-cast cars, there is about nothing like a real truck bigger than the Humvee, or it costs pretty much like the 300$ Schuco Mercedes truck from the 60ies... I'm now looking for a civilian plane to make a diorama with mixed civilian and military vehicles and people. Only one found, a Cessna 170, all balsa, flying kit from Guillow's, but it seems to be a long work. Why are they so much gaps in the 1/18 market?

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 am

1/18th is the only scale I collect. But when there are thousands of (civilian) die-cast cars, there is about nothing like a real truck bigger than the Humvee, or it costs pretty much like the 300$ Schuco Mercedes truck from the 60ies... I'm now looking for a civilian plane to make a diorama with mixed civilian and military vehicles and people. Only one found, a Cessna 170, all balsa, flying kit from Guillow's, but it seems to be a long work. Why are they so much gaps in the 1/18 market?

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 am

In Feb. 2010 issue under the AFV post of Fine Scale Modeler JSI announced that they were going to release a kit form F-14. As you have already guessed that went to the waste side. Prior to collecting 1/18 scale military I built quite a few models and was ready for the challenge of building a 1/18 Tomcat that never came. Lucky for me we have guys like Pickel and others who fill in.

slogan
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by slogan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Schelich made a small plane that looks like a Cessna that is very close to 1/18 scale. It's on clearance now at Toys R Us for aroud 20 bucks and is also available at Amazon. Might work for you.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Look like there is going to be a 1/18 scale Dauntless kit. Read the other post under "Merit 1/18 Dauntless kit announcement." It shows price and a possible release date.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Looks like there is going to be a 1/18 scale Dauntless kit. Read the other post under "Merit 1/18 Dauntless kit announcement." It gives a possible price and a release date.
Last edited by rschaap on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:38 am

Give it time. I think 1/18 scale kits will slowly infiltrate the market finding their own niche. The Dauntless will set the tone initially. The prebuilt Dauntless is every bit as detailed as the high market 1/32 kits from Trumpeter and Academy, almost as close as Tamiya. If it's successful, definitely look for more planes in that size.

I remember the news about the JSI F-14 in kit form. I would have easily preferred the kit. Much easier to make airframe or cockpit mods and paint when it's not assembled.

If fighter jets will ever get released in kit form, I don't think the piece count will be as high. I looked over my Tomcat carefully to get a rough piece count. Definitely no more than 85 pieces, not counting ordinance. The Dauntless kit advertises 270 pieces for less than $150 or close to that. If one were to make the Tomcat in the same piece to size ratio (and therefore subsequent additional details), then the supposed JSI F-14 should really be a 600 piece kit which would push the price to over $1000. That would never happen, nor should it.

If the market can bear 1/18 WWII sized fighter/attack planes at 270 pieces for ~$150, I feel certain there would be several 1/32 scale builders eager to build their one or two dream airplanes so as to make them their prominent "piece de la resistance" display in their man caves. Especially since the cost of 1/32 Tamiya P-51's and Spitfires are in that price range.

For 1/18 jets, they would have to be lower piece count and much more modular in construction with screws, not glue to make them more affordable and simpler due to their immense weight and loads on sections while positioning them during assembly. Do it right and ~$200 for a 75-100 piece jet kit would be reasonable.