Anyone Get Their FOV 1:16 Tiger II?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Anyone Get Their FOV 1:16 Tiger II?

Post by mburduck » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:40 pm

Just wundrin' what you think.

Mike

RobC70
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RobC70 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:19 pm

I have one on the way. The guy that sent it emailed me this:

"Hi;

They were (finally) shipped yesterday..

Look for a 25 pound box arriving sometime soon.. (And be prepared for the
amazing detail. I could not believe how much better this thing is than last
year's)" :D

victory
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by victory » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:45 pm

I was sooo tempted to purchase one. I really liked the green tone in the promo pics. With the actual release of the king tiger, I've seen some pics and it looks totally different. Not to say its probably not a nice tank but not the paint scheme I was expecting to see. I might pass again and wait for the next repaint.

Zartan
Sergeant
Sergeant

1:16 king tiger

Post by Zartan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:30 pm

The paint scheme is much better than the first, don't know if it’s dead on authentic though. My buddy has a small ebay toy bis, mostly 3 3/4 Joes but I made him purchase some FOV items direct from Panache Place as I was looking for some of the new releases. I told him two 1:16 tigers should be enough but when he found out they were a numbered limited edition he ordered eight. Three are already gone and he hasn't even put one up on the net yet. I hope this is the last for the 1:16 King Tiger, something new.....anything. Here's a picture of the second release, the flash gave the hull a bit of a white appearance:

http://members.shaw.ca/graemep/175-7548_IMG.jpg

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Nope.

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:41 am

Camo scheme/pattern and number color are totaly wrong for this particular tiger. 008 is one of the most photographed Tiger II. Nonetheless, this version looks 100x better than the original.

This version would probably sell out quickly. While this tank doesn't particularly appeal to me, I'm hoping FOV would do well with these tanks, so they might expand the line to other armor. (IS-2!!!!!!!)

For some reason, whenever I see a picture of a FOV King Tiger, I have a sudden urge to press down on the thing... :)

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:11 am

Well, I got mine yesterday and I have to say it looks quite good. I like the paint scheme (although it's not right for the number on the tank) and think this version looks better than the first. I'm pleased with my purchase and I really enjoy the detail on the tank (I don't even mind the mud/dirt on the tank. Hey, tanks get dirty in action).

Now maybe we can have a 1:16 Panther????

Mike

RobC70
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RobC70 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:52 pm

The camo scheme looks good and close to many pictures that I have seen although not with the 008. The camo color is different from the earlier photos which showed a brighter green tint. That isn't the case on mine. I just got it in. The detail is amazing to say the least. I got mine for $350.00 and it's number 222 I think. I'm VERY happy with it. I doubt very seriously you would lose money on it either in the long run.

Zartan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zartan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:32 pm

http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/vehi ... 85301.html

Here is a picture that has been up on the Michigan Toy Soldiers site for about 9 months, probably the first actual prototype painted, not the computer generated pic on the FOV website that looks like neon green. The pattern is a bit different, dots along the barrel, the colors look the same and the number is red instead of production blue. I was at a local hobby shop checking out a king tiger modeling book and like Googly said, the pattern is different but the colors are pretty close for the 008, however there was a scheme pretty close if not the same as this one but on a different numbered tank. I can't remember what color the numbers were, are they supposed to be red?? I wonder if it was changed due to bad research or by mistake.

A IS-2 and Panther would be nice, maybe a Wittman Tiger. They have to get one paint scheme right before the line ends or is cancelled!

RobC70
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RobC70 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:45 pm

http://www.milartgl.com/HTML/Tiger-Spearhead.htm
http://www.military-art.com/dhm846.htm

This painting depicts what mine looks like....Numbers were not red(I mean in some photos they are and in others not)..

With that being said it is important to remember that both the Luftwaffe and Army units were know to customize color schemes in the field. This is why you see such a wide array of different colors in photos etc.....

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:10 pm

Those old (at least I've seen them in military magazines for a while) paintings are based on old post-war photographs of the 501st KT 332, which had blue numbers with yellow/ borders. People assumed that since one 501st KT has that number color, then all the tanks in the kompanie wore the same color.

But new research and German veteran accounts reveal that 501st platoons each have different number colors for identification purposes. (See any books by Thomas Jents or Wolfgang Schneider, 2 of the most respected historians of the tiger tank).

1st platoon had black numbers with white border.
2nd platoon had red numbers with white border.
3rd platoon had blue numbers with yellow border, a color system they had since Normandy.
Command tanks had red numbers with white border.

There were exceptions to the rule, however. Tanks that belonged to other abteilungs were hastily numbered with whatever paint available. Such is the case with KT 222, which had solid yellow numbers.

Yes the German Army are known for their wild color customization on the field. But that is the exact thing OKW was trying to abolish, so by the time KT 008 is made, it sported the new standardized, factory applied hard-edged ambush camo.

And I won't even go to the type of gun mantlet that 008 had.

I've never seen those pics at Michigan Toy Soldiers website, that scheme looked good! Not 100% correct, but excellent! I wonder why they changed it?

RobC70
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RobC70 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:00 am

From what I can tell the tank has the ambush pattern camo. Anyway, I have always been very impresed by FOV detail and accuracy and I am sure that they has their reasons too.

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:09 am

Great info, guys!

Mine's numbered 290.

Now, is there anyone out there who might make a display case for a tank this big?

Mike

PS Some prices on those Tiger II prints, no?

Zartan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zartan » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:31 am

I was just thinking that with this second release of the Tiger II and hopefully the last, that a non Production Porsche turret would have been cool.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:55 pm

The Porsche version would probably be hard, if they want to do it right, because they have to add zimmerit to the body of the Tiger too. And they also have to modify the inside of the turret.

Mburdock: How much are you willing to pay for a display case? Noone, as far as I know, makes cases for 1/16 tanks, but if you want a professional, museum quality case, check these guys out:

http://www.crystalcaseworks.com/

I've ordered several of their acrylic cases for my resin figures, and they are beautifully done. Very durable as well. They make custom-size cases, so you might want to contact them and ask for a quote.

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:29 am

Thanks for the link concerning cases, GD! I might have to check them out.

Thanks again!

Mike

MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by MG-42 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:36 am

I have the 1st.,issue Tiger II, #'rd 30 out of 2000 units made. I am satisfied with it. Considering I was not about to purchase another up-graded version and particularly just for the "new" crew members, which these will be available by next Spring. I'm sure these are'nt as articulated as 21st.,or BBi. I like and am satisfied with my tanks paint scheme. I also have a nice set of markings specifically for my Tiger II, including the "pale or royal blue" #'s, including "008", which is correct for the particular paint scheme. :wink: 8)
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:11 am

I'd like to get hold of a full 1:16 tank crew for this tank (not that I have anything against paratroopers, of course).

Mike