1:9th Abrams... a hopeless cause?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:46 pm

Thanks for the vid looks good

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

cool

Post by digger » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:43 am

Very Cool 8)
Thanks for the video. I have to admit that RC never really peaked my interest but that thing looks like a ton of fun. Looks enough like an Abrams to me, and that is a lot of tank for the money. :)

navchap, is that your dog? What did he think? I know my guy is not a fan of RC stuff.... :roll:

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:14 am

For anyone close enough to where I'm at, there were 3 $75 Abrams located at the Margate, Fl Walmart as of this past Tuesday. Here's a map with the address and such:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=WalMart+S ... &f=l&hl=en
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

navchap
Private First Class
Private First Class

VIDEO

Post by navchap » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:01 am

Yes thats my Lab. She "tolerates" this tank, she doesn't like the 1/16 Pershing I have, she does however love to chase my RC Nitro truck.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:36 pm

The Lacey, Washington Walmart has 3 Abrams marked to $100.00 each. I snagged one. I hope it works.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

3rd Pursuit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 3rd Pursuit » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:50 pm

Picked up one at my local Wally for 150 bucks. I was wanting to wait until they hit around 100 or less but some of them were already showing a lot of mishandling(one had the main gun broke off) :shock: so I was afraid I really would get a pile of junk if I waited any longer.
I know this thing is an odd-scale, but does anyone know about any plans to make detail/accessory kits for it? I can accurize the main gun's length myself :roll: but being an Abrams vet it's really tough to take it very seriously without that M2 on the commander's cupola and the M240 at the loader's position. Any help out there?

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:57 pm

3rd Pursuit,
Question about the REAL Abrams. You mentioned the M240 at the loader's position. Is the M240 able to be detached from that position and used on foot if needed? or is it permanantly mounted to the tank??

Thanks!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

3rd Pursuit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 3rd Pursuit » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:08 pm

Oh yeah you can, and how cool it really is! :D :D I have a pic of myself handling one Rambo style somewhere. The thing is pretty heavy(recoil from firing helps with this)and you'll need a buddy to charge the weapon for you while holding it because of the long charging stroke required of a vehicle mounted weapon. There are a few things I do really miss about those days! :wink:

3rd Pursuit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 3rd Pursuit » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:14 pm

By the way Razor, I noticed you're from N Kentucky. I assume you've been to Ft Knox and the Patton Museum. If you haven't it's definitely worth a visit. As far as I know they still have the original prototype M1 there on display and a lot of other really cool things, including a life size diorama of the Stuart and a maintenance crew, Panzers and even early WW1 tanks. Everybody on this site interested in this sort of stuff would really like visiting there I think! :)

miniature-art
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by miniature-art » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:14 pm

Wow, this is good news. Does 21St Centruy toys offer spare parts for their RC tanks? Eventually we'll need new tracks, roadwheels or motors etc.

Also what's the best way to contact them? Questions to their e-mail address on the website seem to go unanswered...

BOBBY

tko211 wrote:I had a chance to talk to 21st Century Toys about the Abrams Tank. They discovered that the factory had used inferrior material for the parts that many people have indicated as having problems with. This was discovered quickly and the problems have been corrected with the other batches of tanks. It was only the first smaller batch that was affected.

21st took a second generation Abrams and beat on it for an hour without any problems. They ran it into and off of cement curbs, crashed it into the first generation abrams, climbed hills, and clawed its way through dirt and mud.

Fans should be able to buy the tank with confidence now. Just pick one in a newer looking box to be safe. Most stores are currently stocking the second generation version now.

Hope that helps.

navchap
Private First Class
Private First Class

Detailing the M1A2

Post by navchap » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:22 am

I have ordered a 1/8 (it's close enough) scale resin 50 cal from this site:
http://www.dbalsa.com/

They are great to work with. The gun and ammo belt are 20.00 Without the ammo belt it's less. He also has scale ammo boxes. For the M240 I ordered a 1/10 scale 30 cal machine gun with an extra barrel I will use this as a basis for a scratchbuild. The only other option would be a 1/12 SAW, the look and size is close enough that with some modifications it could look like a M240.

3rd Pursuit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 3rd Pursuit » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:34 am

Thanks navchap!!!!! :D :D

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:22 am

3rd Pursuit wrote:By the way Razor, I noticed you're from N Kentucky. I assume you've been to Ft Knox and the Patton Museum. If you haven't it's definitely worth a visit. As far as I know they still have the original prototype M1 there on display and a lot of other really cool things, including a life size diorama of the Stuart and a maintenance crew, Panzers and even early WW1 tanks. Everybody on this site interested in this sort of stuff would really like visiting there I think! :)
3rd Pursuit,

I was down there when I was a kid and remember seeing the scale model of the Ft. Knox used in James Bond's "Goldfinger", but everything else is a blur. I will need to visit it again. My Dad was in the Army Reserves and did some training out of Ft. Knox.
Post your old Abrams Days pics if you can find them. Be cool to see.
Later!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

navchap
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by navchap » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:05 pm

I am irritated, I sent an email to 21st Century Toys, one of the links in my tank tread broke, the track is still together, there are 3 total links holding the track together so I'm not down, I asked 21st Century if I could get a replacement track. her response was:

"unfortunately, there are no replacement parts are available for the abrams
tank as of yet. if the track does break, the only option at this point is to
exchange the tank where it was purchased."
I'm sure WALMART will love this. My other concern is what happens after Walmart stops stocking it. Where will we get the battery etc. I hope the as of yet is the operative phrase. I will probabily design a metal sleve to fit over the part.

3rd Pursuit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 3rd Pursuit » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:40 pm

Yep, seems problems with this dog keep coming up. Thought I didn't have a problem with mine until I picked up the 9V battery for the controller, and what do you know, it doesn't work. I took the controller back and got another and it doesn't work either. :x :x Made sure the battery was good, the switch was on, channel was correct yada yada yada but still no go. I assume if everything is ok with the thing the little light blinks when you push a button, just like with my Stuart. Well, with the first one the light stayed on and with the second it wouldn't come on at all. Guess we should just give this turkey wings and see if it can fly :twisted: !!!!

navchap
Private First Class
Private First Class

REMOTE

Post by navchap » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:43 pm

I had this problem for a minute or so, I changed the battery still no go, I turned the tank off and restarted it, the remote worked after that. Double check the frequencies in the handset and tank, in addition switch out the frequency, that may work.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:20 pm

All set to buy and I go to Wally and bam, there are two in the action figure aisle. They look good and I'm looking around for anything else and I find three more in the clearance aisle. No sign as to price, just the sticker on the boxes that shpows $199.99.

So I walk around the clearance aisle and there is the sign between the boxes. Bam, there is the price........$199.99.

Huh :?

Wally sure isn't god to us in the Northeast. 8) Read my other comment in the WM sticky.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:59 pm

I've been to three WM's and all of them have quite a few stock of the 1/9 stuff. They've got them stacked all over the place and I'm sure they'll be dropping in price since they are taking up a lot of room on the sales floor. Unless WM mgmt decides to mothball them in the warehouse for awhile.

digger

abrams spare parts

Post by digger » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:16 pm

My other concern is what happens after Walmart stops stocking it. Where will we get the battery etc. I hope the as of yet is the operative phrase. I will probabily design a metal sleve to fit over the part.
Someone has to buy up a bunch at clearance and sell the pieces on ebay - this is exactly what happened with the M5 and now you can get just about any piece you want for that tank. BBI & 21st in general will not supply parts for anything - we have asked for it all, from corrections to replacements and they just don't do it, I guess the loss of goodwill is not as bad as the cost of constantly sending out parts. :roll:

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:42 pm

Well the Abrams I bought yesterday broke in front not more then a few minutes after starting it for the first time. The box looked new so I thought I might get lucky. But I also noticed Barrel was damaged as soon as I got it out the box. I was very surprised at how brittle the plastic was on the tank. I left a message for 21st as soon as I noted the barrel last night, but no one has returned my call. I decided it wasn't worth the pain and returned it. When it comes to R/C I won't buy from them anymore. You figure after all this time trying to get the Avenger right they would have put more effort in the Abrams. At least it should be better supported, the instructions tell you not to return it rather call them.

Very disapointed
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

3rd Pursuit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 3rd Pursuit » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:55 pm

Yeah, I tried calling them myself only to get an answering machine. Forget that, found out it's just easier to return it myself. I've had my Stuart for about a year and a half now and never had a problem. How could they drop the ball so badly with these newer releases?

navchap
Private First Class
Private First Class

ABRAMS UPDATE

Post by navchap » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:35 pm

I Believe the problem with the first batch was the brittle plastic. My tank is definitely not brittle. I did create a sleave for the link on the track that broke, I used brass. It worked like a champ. Sorry you guys had a bad time. The broken barrel is a giveaway, the barrel on my tank is thick and has taken some hits while running.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:10 pm

Then the barrel is the giveaway to telling S1 from S2. Start to unpack and if you find the thin, brittle barrel, stop and return it.

Sounds like a plan :)

If the price is low enough, I'll certinaly be getting more than one, just like the 1/6 Command Car, bought several at clearance and eBayed the extras when prices shot back up. They funded quite a lot of toys for my bunker. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

navchap
Private First Class
Private First Class

UPDATES

Post by navchap » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:27 pm

Well folks here's the latest. I had to return my M1A2 today, The gearbox on the right side started slipping in forward, strangely enough it ran fine in reverse. Opened it up and found the gears were loose in that side. Took it back, got another and guess what..... A first generation and yes 3 of the 4 supports on the inside of the wheel, ON BOTH SIDES were broken. Took that one back immediately, this time I checked the wheels prior to departure, it was a second generation. The shape and thickness of the wheel braces are obvious between the two generations. Gen 2 is thick with a STRAIGHT top on the brace and GEN 1 is thinner with a taper down from the center to the outside. Lets hope threes a charm.

navchap
Private First Class
Private First Class

PAINTING

Post by navchap » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:55 am

One other note, For painting the M1A2 Tamiya XF-57 Buff seems to be a virtually exact match for the light tan. This will help cover uo all the scuffs coming from the company.