21st CT paint fails.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

21st CT paint fails.

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 pm

This is out of my own collection have any of y'all noticed the fails in any of your 1:18th planes?
In this one someone left a finger print in the paint on my bunker hill corsair.
http://db.tt/vmkOCj6C
And this one the paint doesn't line up like it should.
http://db.tt/E45REUKQ
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 21st CT paint fails.

Post by snake » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 am

Certainly not a new topic, or issue.

21 Century did have some QC problems, but when they were going for as cheap as they were, hard to complain.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:03 am

Well I find it especially sad for my USAF F-104 sense my German F-104 is perfect (besides the lack of the orange band around the fuselage)...
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:50 am

Yes, 21c was "renowed" for their QC issues, which tended to vary from model to model. Its nothing new around here and something we've complained about for years and years. Poor QC was likely the result of using sub-par factory labor in an effort to squeeze out as many models for as cheap as possible, particulalry during the Wal Mart days from 2003-2008.

You had some models that came out perfect (or near perfect) and others that came out like junk, with everything from misaligned markings, smudges or fuzzed edges, finger prints, glue stains, scratches, broken/cracked pieces and so on. This was the case in any scale of 21c items from 1:144 to 1:6. Ideally, you could find an assortment of new models at Wal Mart and choose the best ones from the lot. If you ordered online, you hoped that the seller at least inspected the piece and sent you a good one... Some models seemed to be more QC prone than others.

It really is a shame that 21c never got their QC bugs worked out during the entire run of the XD line. They had some great models and great toolings that with slight fixes could have been top-of-the-line. Their main competitor, BBI, has usually always had good QC and I could order a BBI aircraft blind and not have to worry about getting something that looked like crap.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:48 pm

It's really bad when they miss the canopy frame and paint on the clear area :x

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 pm

It wasn't just 21C stuff that suffered from QC problems. When Admiral Toys came out with the first "Patricia" F-86, how many people noticed that the US insignia under the wing was upside down?
21C made another boner when the painted the windshield of the WC-57 dirty. The windshield wipers are mounted to the upper edge of the windshield, but the "dirty" was painted as if the wipers were mounted on the lower edge.....DUH!
I guess you get what you pay for. Most of these painting problems could be easily corrected if (like me) you have an airbrush and some experience with it. Comes in handy for practice for me.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Sure there was issues but planes like this for $40.00. I was always happy with the planes I bought at toysrus or walmart. I'm sure anybody would take flaws and all to have stuff on the shelf for a great price. Walmart is still depressing walking by the toy aisles and absolutely nothing. I still have visions of seeing that plane on the top shelf and gettng it down somehow to take a look.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:15 pm

At least that fingerprint is in the "hand grip" area! :lol: :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Rowsdower wrote:At least that fingerprint is in the "hand grip" area! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :roll:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:35 am

I was thinking of this the other day... I've had two of the S1 Silver USAF F-104s and both had the rescue markings on the right side misaligned. I think that was a production-wide goof. The fingerprint, not so much.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:08 am

tmanthegreat wrote:I was thinking of this the other day... I've had two of the S1 Silver USAF F-104s and both had the rescue markings on the right side misaligned. I think that was a production-wide goof. The fingerprint, not so much.
I think your right my buddy just gave me his S1 F-104 today and it's the same way...

zodiacflash
Corporal
Corporal

Post by zodiacflash » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:02 am

Well, with the F-104, I think the paint is actually just about on the money. The problem is they put the indentation for the popout handle too high. Putting the indentation there in the first place was unnecessary, I think. When I finally get around to customizing the 104's I have, I'll fill it in and match up the paint. Either way, we can chalk it up to 21C's choices in what details to highlight and their final QC issues. Helicopter Pilot, I hope you don't mind me reusing your photo for this comparison.

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:24 am

zodiacflash wrote:Well, with the F-104, I think the paint is actually just about on the money. The problem is they put the indentation for the popout handle too high. Putting the indentation there in the first place was unnecessary, I think. When I finally get around to customizing the 104's I have, I'll fill it in and match up the paint. Either way, we can chalk it up to 21C's choices in what details to highlight and their final QC issues. Helicopter Pilot, I hope you don't mind me reusing your photo for this comparison.

No problem, that's a great find!
Thanks for sharing that with us!!