Sherman Commander's Cupola

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Sherman Commander's Cupola

Post by AJWW2 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:52 am

I recently heard for the first time that a lot of sherman tank commander's cupolas rotated 360 degrees with the 50 cal. attached. I am customizing my FOV sherman and was wondering if I should mod it so it can spin or just leave it. I don't know the Sherman model that FOV depicts at the moment, but I need to know if the cupola would really rotate on that variant.

Thanks,

AJ :mrgreen:
it be like dat

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Sherman Commander's Cupola

Post by grockwood » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:50 pm

The early model cupola had a split hatch and was able to rotate with the 50 ca. The later model cupola with the single hatch and the ring of vision blocks around the base didn't rotate. I don't have the FOV Sherman but I believe it is a late model M4A3 and it would have the later non rotating cupola.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 pm

The FOV Sherman is sort of a mish-mash of variants, early and late. It has the split hatch, but is not really designed for that piece to be easily modified. If I recall, the hinges are moulded to the turret.

The 21c Sherman, which accurately depicts an early-model tank with the split hatch can be modified so the ring can turn. This can be done easily as the hatch ring is a seperate piece and can pop out with prying from a screw driver. You can then find a way to affix the .50 cal MG to the ring.

The BBI Sherman is an accurate depiction of a late-model tank wtih the 105mm gun. It has the full commander's cuppola with hatch and vision blocks. As grockwood noted, that did not rotate.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:35 pm

If you pick up one of the Squadron books "Walk around Sherman" you will get all the different cupolas as well as the aerials.

Cheap soft cover. You can't go wrong.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.