BBI announces f-18c

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: BBI announces f-18c

Post by dragon53 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 am

Badcat has the photos, too.

Link: http://www.talesofthecat.com/

jetsmaniac
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jetsmaniac » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:12 pm

These photos just rain on my parade. I won't pre-order.
First, the nose gear cover is as wrong as the previous hornets. They don't bother to fix it. How hard is it to make three new pieces?
Second, WTF with the crooked nose number? WTF?
Can't tell if the ventral landing gears are stronger. In previous hornets they will bow out.
The crooked nose number is the most unacceptable. :evil:
Is it too much to ask for a measly 10% improvement for a doubled-MSRP model?
[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/mtlin550][img]http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/34784/2860792140071430623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img][/url]
A photo database dedicated to all 1/18 F-14 repainted squadrons.
Click it. Accept submissions today!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:19 pm

I like the scheme on this one, but I am unsure about preordering myself. I'm still pretty pleased with my S1 Golden Dragons plane and not sure what I'd do with another F-18. Then again, I do have two F-16s... Jetsmaniac is correct as the crooked number on the front is an error and should be horizontal (looks like it was aligned with a panel line on the model). They also have not fixed the engines, but that doesn't surprise me... What I can't tell from the pictures are the screw covers. On my S1 F-18, while all screws are covered, they were not done so to be flush with the fuselage. I could see them fixing the landing gear as they have made similar tweaks to other recently-released models like the missiles on the F-16.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:09 pm

tmanthegreat, I'm dreaming of some pics with 2 F/A-18 on a flightdeck or patrol flying together. My son has the golden dragon, I hoped to fin a red devil or a (blue) marauder Hornet, but with the prices they reached on eBay... So I'm glad to have an opportunity to buy for myself a "new" one at 1/3 of the actual price. But I agree with many, the exhaust are horrible.

So, when a bunch of guys on this board will have their hornet, it should be possible to ask PH, Pizzaguy or? to make us correct exhaust muzzles!

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:55 pm

I hope they correct the name Enterprise. They used a "c" in place of an "s". Though on the other hand if you read it out as is, it says "enter price". They must of been thinking about how much to charge for this bird while stenciling on the name. :mrgreen:

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Or maybe they were hungry and thought of rice instead. :lol: But no really this new scheme looks great. I wish they had done something with those exhausts though but I guess I can replace them on my own in time.

rohirrimknight
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rohirrimknight » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:40 am

Badcattoys open for pre-order now and the price is US$189.99 (List price US$200). Higher than MH60. :(

astronut1885
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by astronut1885 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:53 am

$189? WTF... That's a bit insane. Sounds like they're straight up gouging us on this one.

On a side note: This picture on Facebook shows a correctly oriented nose number.

rohirrimknight
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rohirrimknight » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:48 am

Yes, the same feeling when see the price and look like they still use the old mold with only repaint to another squadron. Even I understand that the cost to produce now increase a lots from 10 years ago, but at this price they should fix and correct the error. Let see this time which bonus part they will give to their customers (last MH-60 they give one pair of antenna).

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:07 am

After seeing the production pics, I'm definitely 100% not buying this one. No improvements worth the asking price....really no matter the price. They still have the LEX Fences pointed the wrong direction just like every Hornet they've made including the special releases. How friggin hard would it be to plug that rubber piece in the other direction. That just tells me they really aren't paying (or caring) attention to improvements that truly set their product apart.

Landing gear improvements are one thing. Although nothing has changed as far as the shape from the previous ones other than having the oleo struts painted silver. They may have swithced to a more durable plastic to prevent splaying. But since there is nothing visible to add more eye appeal other than it appears that the screw hole covers actually come flush with the skin on the forward fuselage, I really can't consider anything about this Hornet as "improved" New nozzles and intakes would have catapulted this plane tremendously.

I have to at least give BBI some props for doing some things correctly:
1. They have most of the panel lines correct on their Hornet including the stiffeners on the vertical tails. Good touch
2. The wheels are pretty close to accurate.
3. The overall shape, dimensions, and proportions are very good
4. The canopy is shaped very well.
5. The seat is well detailed
6. Weight. It's not overly heavy like the JSI F-14

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:46 am

I like the aggressor schemes -- they're a nice change from the more common low-viz. On the other hand, there's a lot of potential for other interesting variations, including Canadian, Australian, etc.

Someone does need to do some new nozzles -- it's be a good "garage builder" seller.

I'll probably get this . . .

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:27 am

I sold off my S1 Hornet years ago as the sagging gear bugged me. I'm going with the thought that bbi has corrected that now, so I put my pre-order in. $189 is expensive, but way better than the prices I'd been seeing on ebay.

snake

Post by snake » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Considering the F-16 was $169, think that $189 is reasonable for the F-18.

I will be picking one up, even though I am not a huge fan of the modern camo patterns on the F-18.

Have all the other F-18's, so picking up a new release BBI F-18 is a no brainer for me.

And considering the most common "Golden Dragons" is going for $300 on Ebay, don't really think this is price gouging. Why not charge for what they can get for it. It is a business after all. The market will dictate what is a proper selling point for these new BBI releases.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:30 am

I agree. In today's economic times prices are going up every where. As for trying to make things accurate as much as I would love to see a few changes done there and there with the F-18 we have to remember that BBI is still just a toy company like the rest of them. If you prefer higher quality like the rest of us then HpH Ltd. is your best bet but unfortunately at a price most of us couldn't even touch without taking out a second mortgage. On the other hand looking at this problem optimistically though I think BBI has provide us a great base to start from. Now we just need a few dedicated 3rd party volunteers with the necessary skills, time and resources to provide enhanced upgrades for the rest of us to swap parts out with. Its a real shame Jack at Sky Works bailed out on us so soon. His F-14 landing gears and exhaust cones were simply amazing.

http://www.hphaustralia.com.au/images/m ... elyhph.pdf

iballdriver
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by iballdriver » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:01 am

As attractive as this piece is, i have been priced out of the market at the current price.
coleslaw is a condiment.
Good Trader: Delta Team
vulgarvulture

astronut1885
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by astronut1885 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:11 pm

snake wrote: And considering the most common "Golden Dragons" is going for $300 on Ebay, don't really think this is price gouging. Why not charge for what they can get for it. It is a business after all. The market will dictate what is a proper selling point for these new BBI releases.
Dude, that's the very definition of gouging. There's no way this thing went up almost 200% in production cost, and basing their prices on Ebay collectors is very much gouging rather than setting a price that allows a profit and moving on. I doubt Hasbro watches Ebay to set the price point on Transformers when they come out. On top of that, basing on Ebay is really apples vs. oranges as the GD version of the Hornet is older, has a finite amount available, and this is a new market release that really looks like crap compared to the GD hornet. This is very close to somebody buying up a ton of store exclusives, and then scalping them out to Ebay to make "as much as they can get for it." The only thing protecting these guys is exclusivity, because competition would keep them honest or bust them out, just look at Century Wings and their price hikes in 1/72 vs other retailers that many collectors have turned to. Most people are done with them, whereas HobbyMaster and it's quality, accurate, more reasonably priced models are gaining steam.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Greetings:

I think I will get this one. The scheme looks pretty neat and the other Hornets have been out of my price range. Considering the size of this bird compared to much more expensive smaller scale pieces like some folks mentioned, this bird is actually a good price. I'd rather have a big 1/18 Hornet than a smaller piece which is a lot more cash. I like they did an Enduring Freedom bird for the Hornet, will look good with the F-16.

There seem to be some real BBI haters on this board. If it isn't inaccuracies in the model then it is the price or the color scheme or something else. The bottom line is with the exception of the Merit Dauntless, BBI is the only company making a showing right now and putting stuff out. I am thankful for that and I think that the prices are in line with the current market. This board needs to get over the idea of the $40 Walmart piece, those days are long gone. In fact, the pieces were undervalued at the Walmart prices which is probably why 21st went under, they were losing money. The fact that these are not sold in a major retailer also probably has caused the pricing increase. Even though most people have the Internet, and shop online, a big retailer carrying these could cause prices to drop. BBI is stuck as no one wants to carry the stuff anymore. I really wish the complaining about the BBI products would stop. They may be a higher price and have some inaccuracies, but they are solid, well constructed and much more durable than the 21st pieces ever were. Never had a BBI piece break yet.

Should be a nice piece and glad to see a Hornet back on the market under the Ebay prices.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Beeavision:

Although Jack may have made nozzles of high quality for the F-14, he screwed a lot of people on this forum and some on the Fighting 1/18th as well. He screwed myself, Picklehaube and several others. I don't care if he made the best nozzles in the world for the F-14, he still screwed people here and I think many are glad to see him gone.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

iballdriver
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by iballdriver » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:06 pm

I know $40 pricing point is a thing of the past. But $190 has priced me out of the market. Bbi makes a great piece. But as much as i would like one, i cant rationalise the purchase price. Thier pricing point has removed me from the demand pool.
coleslaw is a condiment.
Good Trader: Delta Team
vulgarvulture

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Greetings:

I personally think this looks better than the Golden Dragons version. It is more up to date with some camo patterns out there on the real Hornets. Going to airshows and things, I have seen several Hornets in similar camo patterns. So it is accurate and adds a bit of breakup and flash to a otherwise dull piece. I always thought the Golden Dragons scheme, while nice, was just a big dull and drab. This new scheme looks to standout a bit more on a shelf which is nice.

I do not get some of the folks that post here. They share nearly constant updates about the BBI Facebook page and what they want (new Blackhawk, new F-18, etc). Then when BBI puts a piece out and announces a price, people complain and yell and say they aren't getting one and curse out BBI and everything else.

I feel bad for people priced out of the market for these. But the reality is that prices are going up across all models lines. The premium models have shot up tremendously in price over the last couple years. Corgi, Hobbymaster, King & Country have all had price increases...some of them of large percentage. Should BBI just eat the cost and lose money just so a few folks are happy they can get an $80 Hornet. They need to cover the cost of production, new packaging, shipping to dealers and make a profit so they can invest in future projects. Is $190 too much for the Hornet, I really don't know. The sales will tell. But given the F-16 and Blackhawk have sold well, the Merit Dauntless is a sellout in PREORDER at Badcat, maybe they think it is. If people don't buy it, the price was too high. But I think sales will be strong. Unofrutnately as mentioned, the days of these being $40 and $80 are long gone. Costs have gone up, market is limited, dealers are limited and possibly fewer are being produced. If they continue to release repaints, they are selling enough and making a profit.

I give BBI credit. In a tight economy where people do not have a lot of extra spending money they are releasing at least something in 1/18. I'm glad for a new Hornet and will happily buy one. When compared with smaller models with less WOW appeal, I think the Hornet is pretty good bang for the buck.

Looking forward to having a Hornet again. Well I have a BA Hornet, I mean a combat colored Hornet.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

bobb428
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bobb428 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:29 pm

I agree! People whine about nobody putting something out then when they do, all they can do is whine about the prices. I dont care if your broke or rich, quit the whining! Reading BBI's Facebook page I am suprised they are even bothering with all the complaints on prices.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 am

I agree with Corey that the $40-80 prices of Walmart seems to be underpriced for these fantastic pieces back then.

There is no way around it, the way BBI priced its product, roughly between big retail store and ebay, is gonna piss off somebody. Especially those who just recently bought Golden Dragons at high prices thinking these wont be made anymore. But there will also be some who will be very happy that they can finally lay their hands on one without busting the bank too much. Even if these were priced lower, people would still find some other fault with it and gripe, its just mostly human nature.

Sometimes you just have to sit back, look at your plane and think, my god a painted assembled 1/18 scale Hornet! Amazing and awesome isn't it? :shock: What would your life be like if there were no 1/18 to collect?

Who's to say if 5 to 10 years from now, this F-18 scheme won't be selling on evilpay for more than x3 times the retail price? Any gamblers here? :mrgreen:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

C00per
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by C00per » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:16 am

In theory there is a concept called "mental-anchoring", especially when it comes to comparison of prices or investing in something (like a car, stocks or, in this case, a F-18). If you´re asked how much something costs you search in your mind about your personal experiences, what other´s have paid or what the media says something costs. For every product we have an "anchor" in our mind how much it (should) cost. Some of us experienced the "good" days when those big birds like the F-18 were cheaper than nowadays. So the anchor is set pretty low and we feel kind of ripped off because of the price increases we saw over the last years. New members to the hobby may see those inflated ebay prices now for the old F-18 releases and set their anchor higher.

In theory, the solution to the problem is quite simple: forget what your mind tells you what things should cost! Instead, figure out what you really want or need and then find the best price available for the item. So I guess it´s up to everybody here to determine if they a) really want or need the new F-18 and b) if so, they can afford about 190$.

I will get the new F-18, I like the paint scheme and I simply love those big items. I am sorry for all those folks who are priced out at current conditions but sad as it is I also think those good old times will not come back. The market/sales will tell if the price is set too high or not. Nevertheless I hope that bbi will make enough profit to be able to release more in the future.

We all love our hobby and we all have the desire that new items are released. In general, reading some posts I sometimes get the feeling that we are sitting in the desert, desperatly needing some liquid and when somebody offers us water we complain and want beer, wine or whatever. Don´t get me wrong, I also wonder why some issues like the intakes/noozles were not done better but in general I am very happy with this release and will get one for sure! :-)

C00per

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 am

Corey, sorry about the reference to Jack. I realize he was a total crook in the end. I was just trying to recall the days prior to the incident with Jack when Skyworks was a place we had all looked up to for repaints and mods. It was a bad example to use and I probably should of referenced Pickelhaube instead.

As far as prices go, in my opinion BBI has the right to charge whatever they want since this is their product to begin with. I may from time to time mention high prices but I try not to take it any further then that. Sometimes I may even throw out a joke but in no way do I mean to insult anyone or the manufacture for that matter. And if I have I deeply apologize. If I cannot afford it sure I maybe a bit disappointed but nobody is forcing me to put down the cash for it either. I've had to walk away from many things in my life because I just couldn't afford them. Its a terrible thing to endure but life goes on and I eventually get over it only to be grateful for what I do have. About the only two things I still have problems with though which most, if not all of us can relate to is food and gas prices as these are two things I can't live without.

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am

I can see how, without a retail distributor the prices of 1/18th will be higher. That said, let me pose a few questions. Why was the $120-$140 price range jumped over? In the case of the F-18 repaint, Is more than double the price reasonable? Is this really worth $20 more than the recent F-16 repaint?