Something new in the RC World from 21st C

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Something new in the RC World from 21st C

Post by momaw nadon » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:39 pm

I just saw two new 1:18th scale RC tanks at Wal-Mart today. That's right 1:18th scale. One was a Panzer IV and the other was the M113. They looked cool, but I didn't buy any. Price is about $80. They didn't have any figures and the M113 had the toyish stowage still. I don't know if the hatches open up or if you can even place a figure in it, but I though it was neat non the less. I might get the Panzer later, then I can do a review of it.
momaw nadon

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:18 pm

Looks like I'll be checking Wal Mart again soon. I just want to see it, though an R/C Panzer IV in 1:18 would be cool - especially if it had the features of the Stuart!

...and hopefully better running power than the old GI Joe MOBAT tank!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:30 pm

pretty interesting. Hope they sell well....anything to encourage armour sales.

What camo schemes and did the P IV have sideskirts?

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:47 pm

Strange that 21st Century dont see fit to put news of this on their website;
along with all the other stuff they are releasing.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:48 pm

The Panzer was yellow like the first version Panzer, and didn't have the skirts. I can't remember what camo scheme it had. The M113 was tan. If I go back tomorrow I'll get some picture if someone doesn't beat me to it.
momaw nadon

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:53 pm

This sounds real cool man... i'm in for the Panzer even though I just got one. Wish it was a different paintjob and the skirts but whatcha gonna do? Now, do we get a Sherman to duke it out with it?
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:14 pm

I'm going to have to check this out too. I doubt it would have "all the bells and whistles" like that darn M-5. I wished 21st., woud've based their proto-type around the Chaffee instead. I posted a topic on the next version of the 1/6th.,but it was moved to the "Off Topic" section w/ no replies. I heard rumors that a "new" Panzer IV was in the works. I guess it's just "bull" but you don't know what 21st.,is really up to. Now that they have the molds for the Mk.IV, ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE. Maybe they just decided to make it in 1:18 instead. :roll:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:17 pm

For anyone who has seen these - do they have the same rubber tank treads as the standard tanks, or do they have something more "durable"? I'm just curious how well the rubber treads do with an RC vehicle.

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:53 pm

Morian Miner wrote:For anyone who has seen these - do they have the same rubber tank treads as the standard tanks, or do they have something more "durable"? I'm just curious how well the rubber treads do with an RC vehicle.
I was thinking that too, I RC'd the German Halftrack, but the rubber tracks
are prone to coming off. The 'Ripmax' 1/16th Abrams also had that problem. Lets hope these new tanks have individually pinned track links.
I remember seeing a model magazine advertisement a few years ago for 21st century products including 1/18th scale RC tanks, seems the wait is over!

I also hope they have engine/ main gun noises ,turret rotation etc, but that could be asking a bit much!

Zartan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zartan » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:05 am

Can anyone say "Hen Long"!

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:53 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I remember hearing about these things a LONG TIME ago and then they dropped completely off the radar. Yet another surprise in the world of XD!! Thanks for the heads up!!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

digger

RC

Post by digger » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:01 am

I want an RC Panzer IV 8) My dog may not like it so much but damn that would be cool. :P Anyone see if it includes a tanker? Can't wait for clearance on these puppies. :D

cmelt27
Corporal
Corporal

Havasu has 'em.

Post by cmelt27 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:50 pm

I was at Lake Havasu this weekend, and saw the M113 and the Panzer in RC. The Panzer, from my recollection, looks a lot like the bear Panzer in Teamski's profile page (page 5)-- it definitely had the little white bear on the side. BUT there were no side skirts. Btw--I don't know if we ever figured this one out, but the manufacturer of these two items is New Millenium Toys--the same mfr. that was listed on the M113 toys. I don't know what the deal is with these guys, so.... if anyone can shed light on them, please do. Anyway, the RCs were definitely in 21st boxes, but without any 21st Century logos on the boxes....

I also noticed that New Millenium put out what looked to be a 1:72 Jeep. Again, the packaging looked to be 21st Century, but without the logos....

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:52 pm

AHA, New Millenium means I might see them here in NZ; yippee!

The wristwatch controlled RC cars that 21st century used to sell turned up here under the New Millenium brand, so I hope the chain store that sells the cars gets hold of some of those tanks too!

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:12 pm

I think this company,"New Millennium Toys" is a subsidiary of 21st., the 1:18 Tiger I Ausf.E, is also made by them. It's "die-cast", but just exactly like 21st.'s original one in plastic. I picked one of these up on clearance at W-M for 12.00 "bucks" ! I had heard a rumor that this company may take over 21st.Century. It's probably just baloney.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:29 pm

Anyone see if it includes a tanker?
The RC versions of the Panzer and M113 don't come with any figures at all.

I haven't been back to get pictures yet. Maybe tomorrow if I happen to go. They look very much like the ones we have already, the one thing I noticed was the wheels had screws that were visible than held them on. Maybe they changed the tracks too.
momaw nadon

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:54 pm

Went to a different Walmart than usual for the daughter's halloween costume. Usually they don't have squat - today they had these. Scanned the Panzer and it rang up as $49.97 - couldn't resist it.

The debate will be whether I can open it now, or if I have to wait until Christmas. The box says it has independent treads, rotating turrent, sound and recoil on the muzzle. Looking at the remote, I only see the sticks for the treads and one button. Wonder if there are other buttons, or does the buttom control the turrent/muzzle/sound? Now, I just need to get some of the new German tankers.

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:46 pm

Well, you should tell the family you have to check to see if it works OK, they wouldn't want you to be disappointed at xmas with a defective tank would they? :wink:
What about the tracks? Are they rubber, or individually pinned links? :?:

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:33 pm

Couple problems:

1. If it comes out of the box, I've yet to be able to put something back.
2. My daughter wants the Chap Mei tank. So, does Daddy get this one and she get that one, or do we share this one at Christmas?

My guess is that sucker is going after the kids tonight, but I have to at least pretend to be responsible :wink:

And, from what I can tell, its just rubber treads.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:22 am

Got off work at midnight last night, and couldn't go to sleep - so this sucker got opened. So, you guys get a quick review.

I don't have the regular Panzer to compare it took, but it looks like any hatches that opened on the other open on this one. The problem is any of the driver or turret hatches are only about .5" deep, so you can't put any figures in. All the tool details are separate and can be taken off.

The remote does have a separate button to rotate the turret, and the button "fires". When you fire, the whole tank jumps back about 6".

As for the RC. Last night, I was about to return the tank. The left treads worked fine, but something kept causing the right treads to jam, so the tank would just spin in circles. I decided to try and see what switching treads did. The right tread began to work better, but the left tread started to come of the rollers when turning. This morning, the tanks seems to behaving better. Also, I doesn't better on carpet than tile. Haven't tried it on grass.

Another problem. With new batteries, this tank is a dragster. Seems to go way too fast. It would be nice if it had two speeds so that you could have it creep around. But, I guess that will happen as the batteries start to die.

And, it does have sound. Depending on what direction you put the "on-off-on" switch, you can run the tank with sound on or off. This is good because it is LOUD. When I turned it on last night, I thought my wife was going to wake up and come yell "WHAT THE F@a%^ WAS THAT????"

Since it seems to behave better this morning, I won't be returning it.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:31 am

You think you might be able to slow the speeds down by taking it to an R/C shop to have this "modified" ?

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:49 pm

Using it indoors is where the speed bothers me. I took it outside, and it looks pretty cool tearing across the open "plains" of Tucson. But, it does have problems of treads coming off in the grass if you make quick turns.

Another personal gripe is the muzzle is one of those that bob up and down as the turret moves. So, with the turrent in the forward position, your tank looks "excited". That will be getting fixed very soon.

Also, hit another local Target today. They were $50 there too. So, hopefully the $80 price tag was an anomoly.

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:22 pm

:shock: So far I haven't seen any thing from 21st Cent. at a Target store in my area. :? When I get the time I'll do a recon. 8)