21c XD F-104 Tail Section

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

21c XD F-104 Tail Section

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:09 pm

A quick question -

What is the best way to remove the tail section of the 21c F-104?

I'm wanting to disassemble one of my planes, but this part of the operation seems a bit difficult and I'm not wanting to cause significant damage...

Thanks for the help :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: 21c XD F-104 Tail Section

Post by MCalamari » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:47 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:A quick question -

What is the best way to remove the tail section of the 21c F-104?

I'm wanting to disassemble one of my planes, but this part of the operation seems a bit difficult and I'm not wanting to cause significant damage...

Thanks for the help :D
I thought the same as well, but if you slowly and gently work at it, it should pop out. That said, when I assemble my 104s I generally leave them out for months at a time. :)

derek_001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by derek_001 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:09 am

On my USAF one it just slides right out but on my german one its a little difficult but with a little force it slides right out....
WESTERN OKLAHOME R/C AIRCRAFT & MODEL COLLECTER

[CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO VIEW MY COLLECTIONS]

http://forums.fighting118th.com/album.php?u=363

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:01 am

MCalamari wrote:I thought the same as well, but if you slowly and gently work at it, it should pop out. That said, when I assemble my 104s I generally leave them out for months at a time. :)
Thanks - I'll try that. I really don't want to force or break anything.

I know what you mean by leaving the F-104s assembled for long periods of time... I've had my three F-104s assembled since I got them. In one case that means since 2005 :wink:

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:06 am

derek_001 wrote:On my USAF one it just slides right out but on my german one its a little difficult but with a little force it slides right out....
I wonder if when putting them together if it would help to put some soap or silicon gel on the two latches?

Tman ... you've had them out all this time? Wow? I was close, with my Marine Flieger out until this summer.

My longest display has been my winter stuka, but that is only in part because of my appreciation for the plane ... its wings are impossible to take apart. (BTW it was my first 21c plane.)

derek_001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by derek_001 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:19 am

MCalamari wrote: I wonder if when putting them together if it would help to put some soap or silicon gel on the two latches?

Tman ... you've had them out all this time? Wow? I was close, with my Marine Flieger out until this summer.

My longest display has been my winter stuka, but that is only in part because of my appreciation for the plane ... its wings are impossible to take apart. (BTW it was my first 21c plane.)
I dont know what it is with some of the 21C planes w/ their wings like my F4U i broke the wings at the folding point because of it wings still fit snug though just cant have them folded but my 109 wings will just slide right off...
But im trying to SELL my 109 now... nomore room for it...
WESTERN OKLAHOME R/C AIRCRAFT & MODEL COLLECTER

[CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO VIEW MY COLLECTIONS]

http://forums.fighting118th.com/album.php?u=363

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 pm

I was able to get the tail section apart this weekend... It took some strong pulling and prying with a screw driver to get it off. Luckily I did not damage the model.

Then I realized why disassembly was so difficult: aparently, when I had assembled the plane in 2005, I had put a dab of superglue on either end of the prong, which was why it was so difficult to get out. I guess I used the glue so the tail section would stay in place :P

The 21c F-104 is one of my favorite 1:18 toolings :D Since 2005, I've had my S1 silver USAF F-104 on display (or occasionally hanging in my storage attic when I switch it out with another plane) and I've never disassembled it up till now.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:21 am

tmanthegreat wrote:I was able to get the tail section apart this weekend... It took some strong pulling and prying with a screw driver to get it off. Luckily I did not damage the model.

Then I realized why disassembly was so difficult: aparently, when I had assembled the plane in 2005, I had put a dab of superglue on either end of the prong, which was why it was so difficult to get out. I guess I used the glue so the tail section would stay in place :P

The 21c F-104 is one of my favorite 1:18 toolings :D Since 2005, I've had my S1 silver USAF F-104 on display (or occasionally hanging in my storage attic when I switch it out with another plane) and I've never disassembled it up till now.
Well the F-104 is one plane you do NOT need to glue. Not no where! :)

I was watching the Star Trek episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday" which features F-104s. Fun to see the old footage of them.

-M