What is the Scale of this figure?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

What is the Scale of this figure?

Post by Fritzkrieg » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:34 pm

I saw this on cool toy review, according to McFarlane Toys, it's 4-4 1/2". A great looking source, for 1:18 scale cops. Earlier version were 6" scale. Can anyone confirm the scale?

http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=4493

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: What is the Scale of this figure?

Post by aferguson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:26 pm

link not working and it just takes you to the main mcfarlane page, not the figure you're referring to.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:07 pm

A 4 1/2 inch figure iwould be 6 ft in 1/16 scale. In 1/18 scale it would be 6ft 9 in.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:11 pm

I think this is the link in question:

http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=4493

Interesting. It would be great if McFarlane would finally make an significant entrance in the ~1/18 realm.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:16 pm

ah, they're walking dead figures. Well the difference is in the details here. If they're 4 inch they're 1/18 and if 4 1/2 inch 1/16 and not compatible with 1/18. Since they've stated the range, i'm guessing that the shorter characters will be 4 inch and the normal sized characters will be 4 1/2 inch, which means the line is really 1/16.

Seems McF goes out of his way to avoid making 3 3/4 inch figures. I just don't get it. Even when his toy company is going down the toilet, he still won't make figures that are the most popular scale.

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:46 pm

I think 4" is a little to big for 1/18 scale. I seems that every 1/18 die cast WWII vehicle that i bought for my figures,end up not fitting.Not even close.I use the 3 3/4" German figures from Indiana Jones and they fit a little better.Even with the 3 3/4" figures i still get a hard time to make the fit on the back of the kubelwagen or U.S.jeep.The Kubelwagen driver seems to fit almost everywhere.The Kubelwagen driver meassures 3 3/4" .I even try 25th anniversary Joes (4")on my die cast vehicles such as the Mercedes 770 (Hitlers limousine) and even with all the articulation that those figures have,not even close.I try taking the legs of the 4" figures and it fits on vehicles,but the heads sticks out higher that the windshield. I bought a 1/16 diecast truck and the 4" figure fit good on it. I don't want to replace all my vehicles for 1/16 just because of this problem,so i learn to live with it.I still collect 4" because there is much more variety available.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:02 pm

4 inch is 6 foot in 1/18 scale. The problem with fitting is the same as it's been since day 1 of xd. Plastic figures and clothing don't bend and squish like human flesh and clothing does, which makes them more volumonous and harder to squeeze into vehicles. Plus other things like seat cushions on the vehicles not compressing as they would in reality etc.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 pm

So then we should all just shave the butt off of our figures?...No? :shock:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:21 am

cjg476 wrote:So then we should all just shave the butt off of our figures?...No? :shock:
I've got a small army of shaved-butt (and shaved-back :lol:) figures dremeled to sit in vehicles and planes.

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 am

aferguson wrote: Seems McF goes out of his way to avoid making 3 3/4 inch figures. I just don't get it. Even when his toy company is going down the toilet, he still won't make figures that are the most popular scale.
He does and it is intentional. He has some kind of irrational dislike of 3 3/4" figures and GI JOE in particular, and I guess it permeates the culture at his organization.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:35 am

well, Todd is an interesting guy. In some ways the toy collectors of the world owe much to him, as it was McF Toys that revolutionized action figures with the spawn line back in the 90's. And he is a very talented artist. He's also an avid hockey fan.

But, and i hate to cast dispersions upon a fellow canadian, he is one odd guy. Over the years he's done a lot of strange things. As i mentioned above, his toy company is crumbling. The only lines left that they produce are sports and Halo. Not even spawn anymore. All the other lines died on the vine. He did a bunch of 3 inch figures, which also bombed (go figure).

He is making 4 inch sports figures now, but they have 149 points of articulation and look really goofy, in my opinion. Although the recent NFL figures i saw looked better, in the package anyway.

The prince of persian line was 4 inch. He made one spawn figure (an exclusive) that was 4 inch. But that's it. If he did 4 inch spawn, military and movie/monster stuff it would sell like wildfire. But he won't. Riches await but he won't touch it.

It's gotta go back to his childhood somehow....traumatized by GI Joe in some way.

Tinman
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Tinman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Molested by his Uncle Joe, perhaps?!

OK - that was inappropriate....