Any ways to stiffen up a JSI Tomcat? Also, wing mechanism?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
astronut1885
Sergeant
Sergeant

Any ways to stiffen up a JSI Tomcat? Also, wing mechanism?

Post by astronut1885 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi guys. I have to say, I love my JSI Tomcat, but that thing just feels rickety. When I pick it up I feel like I'm moving a jigsaw puzzle, and I'm not a fan. Granted, I am used to 1/72 scale diecast that are hefty and solid, but still, I can't stand just watching parts and armament fall off every time I breathe at it. Is there anything I can do short of super-gluing the whole thing together to help that out? I'm honestly considering a gentle application of super glue to things like the vertical tails, missiles, rails, and that panel on the bottom once I move into my new house next month.

Also, I noticed inside the gear bays that the wings have gear teeth on them like they are supposed to mesh together and then moved synchronized like most Tomcat models, except my wings don't seem to touch at all. Was this an unfinished step in the design process that JSI abandoned, or does my turkey just have a problem? Thanks.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Any ways to stiffen up a JSI Tomcat? Also, wing mechanis

Post by pcoughran » Thu May 19, 2011 7:03 pm

The wings should work together, so sounds like yours may be messed up. You can put a little super glue on the tabs for loose items and let it dry (off the plane). This adds a layer to the tabs making them more snug when installed and still able to be removed. You can keep adding layers to the tabs till they are tight enough for you. Don't do too much at once though.
Steel gear from SkyWorks is the only real solution to the landing gear and even then I wouldn't go moving it around on the gear at all. Definitely a "shelf queen" by all means.
Good luck
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"