JSI F-14, what should I do?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

JSI F-14, what should I do?

Post by P39time » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi guys,

I am really on the fence about getting the latest release of the JSI F-14 Tomcat. From what I have read it does have some improvements, but I am really kind of scared spending that kind of money on a model and it being a dud. Sure do want one though, what is a guy to do?
Jarod

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Re: JSI F-14, what should I do?

Post by tko211 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:06 pm

The newest Black Knights is actually a nicer F-14 when compared to a gen 1 spot cat. The refinements while minor, have made a bit of a difference in my opinion. Yes the main gear are still delicate and yes you have to be a little gentle with it. It's an impressive model and worth getting one into a collection.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Ditto what TKO said. The value is what you make it. If the model is a "desireable" one for your individual collection, only you can say for sure if the money is well spent. Personally, I bought the Gen1 spotcat and I haven't regretted it one day. Sure there are problems with the Gen1, but nothing I can't overcome. Mine is currently residing (still) one the workbench with half-assembled metal gear, altered boarding ladder, empty cockpit waiting for modding the seats, new turkey feathers, and fantastic new markings waiting for everything else and a new paint job. However, when I finish, it will be the ONLY F14D Bombcat authentically marked and weather.....one of a kind. What kind of value do you place on that? Been offered quite a tiddy sum for several of my "alterations" and I refuse to part with any of them....I did it for me. Buy one for yourself if you are so inclined....I don't think you will regret it at all.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

sax5thave
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:23 pm

If it won't kill you to wait then wait for someone to get tired of his cat and sell it. That way you get a good deal.
TRADE REFERENCES: tmanthegreat, Grilledcheese, Tkjaer21, Delta Team, Blacksnakes, flayrah. fast mover, evilanimation, YT, Jnewboy

Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 am

i have 2 spot and plan getting bk f14...get it or u kick u r self... get the landing gear and everything great... best peace in my collection.. my GI Joe snake eye and lady copilot is in her now
whats up doc....

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Pretty impressive model. Mine is hanging in my office and I get lots of comments about it. Definitely one of the better offerings. Even with the spots-which I painted over so it looks great.
Todd

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:53 pm

if it helps.... we have two left at $265.00 each

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:26 am

just got mine from aviatornut

i love the weapon set cool beaNS
whats up doc....

hitpasc
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hitpasc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:20 am

:D I'll tell you what I did and I couldn't be happier ! I went to Banana Hobby and for $229.00 I purchased a 1/18 Jolly Rodger F-14. The paint, graphics and dimensions are top notch. And rather than just plastic I have an 6 channel 2.4 GHz aircraft - wing sweep ( any degree ), aileron, elevator, power ( Two 50 mm brushless EDF turbofans - 95 mph ) and nose wheel steering. This RC is accurate. The wheels are the right size and count. I'll admit the struts are wire but I'm having fun with the modifications or buy them from the Spot-Brothers for $70 if you want. They also have the same aircraft with Black Nights livery. I've decided to fly mine so for a trainer I ordered the same scale F-35. Same quality, same 2.4GHz Transmitter, battery charger and engine ( 95 mph ). Check it out. It's an alternative.

- Craig
Craig_H

hitpasc
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hitpasc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:40 am

One thing I left out. Concerning the choice of the F-35 as a trainer. I went that direction after observing my nephew struggle with a slow straight wing propeller aircraft. The F-35 is recommended as a trainer as well is the F-14 because of the wing sweep. I wanted something that had the power and maneuvering ability to avoid the trees at the local RC park. The main reason though is the complete aircraft engine and all was $ 69.00.

- Craig
:D
Craig_H

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Well after “hem and hawing” about the quality issues and spots vs. price …I figured the positives of a 1/18 Jolly Rogers F-14 would overshadow any poor quality bird that I happened to draw from the fold….well it just arrived and the rattle when I went to open the box made me ready for the worst…the port side rear landing gear was rolling around and the spring was found at the bottom of the box…seems the metal hinge rod is MIA and the gear got disconnected…but it looks to be fixable.

Then I checked for the other major issues listed from all the posts and all were fine: no broken antennas, no broken pitot tubes, no missing airbrake supports, no glued landing gear doors…all is well………well almost. Looked in the cockpit and one side of the pilot’s ejection seat yellow/black stripe pull handle is snapped right off and nowhere to be found…since the canopy was closed tight and it is not in there, must have been another outstanding factory quality check.

I can fix the pull handle and the spots…really, I am happy I joined the F-14 club, but now I understand all the highs and lows that go with such a great model…assembled with less than mediocre care.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Congrats on the cat, but sorry to hear about the flaws. Hopefully the gear pin can be manufactured and fixed easily.
Todd