3D Printing -- Pretty Close to Ready

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

3D Printing -- Pretty Close to Ready

Post by gburch » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:00 am

I strongly urge our "garage shop" model entrepreneurs to look at this video:

http://www.technewsdaily.com/3d-printin ... ters-1515/

I've been following 3D printer tech off and on for over a decade and this looks like it might be fairly close to being ready for the first steps to being used in our hobby.

FWIW, I'm a pretty accomplished 3D artist and can make just about any kind of mesh and export it in just about any kind of format. I might be interested in collaborating with folks who have an interest in at least testing out 3D printing for use in 1/18 models.

On the other hand, with the 3D scanner also discussed in the above video ... it looks like a lot of the hard work of manually creating meshes may be "automatable."

I'm very interested in this and would like to see if there's any interest in organizing an informal "R & D group" around it.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: 3D Printing -- Pretty Close to Ready

Post by aferguson » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:56 am

interesting.....what is the material of the object going to be like? Is it like a resin, plastic, thick paper?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:41 am

It already is being used almost by everybody who does custom XD work.

I have even used the services for a project that did not win in one of my polls.

Not too many guys volunteer this info .
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

gary1930
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gary1930 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Count me in. I've been thinking about one off and on. What's holding me back is the need to learn new software (Corel Draw - which I use for laser cutting - still gives me fits).

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:52 pm

I am, or was one of those guys. About half of my custom projects were printed. So it's real, but as Gary1930 said the software is a b*tch and depending on the product very expensive. The printing costs are coming down but they are still far away from Walmart land which is why I had to charge $130 for something that could be cast for $65.

There will be a watershed moment when the ease/skill level and cost hit the magic spot. At that point, there won't be much if anything that can't be done in 1:18 for a reasonable price.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:53 pm

aferguson wrote:interesting.....what is the material of the object going to be like? Is it like a resin, plastic, thick paper?
All three depending on the printer and price point. The "good stuff" is almost indistinguishable and can even be superior to injection molded plastic in terms of complex detail.

If you look at the pictures of the Pack Howitzer I did closely (or if the folks that purchased them speak up) you can see that the trail arms are completely hollow. All of the internal spring mechanism detail inside of the arms is intact, printed as one part with no assembly required. This object inside of an object complexity is also visible in the LCVP Higgins boat ribbing.

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:52 pm

grunt1 wrote:The printing costs are coming down but they are still far away from Walmart land which is why I had to charge $130 for something that could be cast for $65.
Would it work to use the printing process to make a master pattern for subsequent casting?
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:42 pm

aae83 wrote:
grunt1 wrote:The printing costs are coming down but they are still far away from Walmart land which is why I had to charge $130 for something that could be cast for $65.
Would it work to use the printing process to make a master pattern for subsequent casting?
Yes, but it's easier to print the object and then use it as a master to make a cast.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:02 pm

That is pretty cool. I have had interest in this too. Unfortunately don't have any experience with it.
Todd

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:12 am

I'm encouraged by the interest in this thread -- and also to know that our "garage builders" are already using printing to some extent.

Over the last few days I've been doing some pretty focused web surfing on the subject, and it looks like the MakerBot Cupcake CNC is relatively inexpensive and well supported:

http://www.makerbot.com/

For under $2K I could get started. Right now, I'm super-busy at work, and the website says that it takes something like seven weeks to get the kit once it's ordered. I usually get a chunk of money in the first half of January when we clear out the previous year's profits, so my time frame here looks like I might not be up and running with something until Spring, at the earliest. But I can see that by 2Q11 I might well be set up to start doing some experimental work on my own.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:26 am

World of Warcraft figures made pre-painted on 3D printer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP25fKsN0Io

This could possibly would work well for pilots and figures (maybe already being used?)

If two halves of an aircraft fuselage, wings, etc. etc. can be printed in strong enough plastic, who needs cheap Chinese labor or much labor at all?

We brought up this subject a few years ago right here in this forum. I figured some model builders though not mentioning it were already using it.
It's good to see it brought up again.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:15 am

all very interesting. I remember years ago discussions about this and similar technologies on this forum and what would be possible 'one day'. Well, it looks like that day is getting much closer.

Walk into your local print shop, order a 1/18 scale M13/40. Pay $70 and go home happy. Next best thing to owning a replicator.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:29 am

aferguson wrote:all very interesting. I remember years ago discussions about this and similar technologies on this forum and what would be possible 'one day'. Well, it looks like that day is getting much closer.

Walk into your local print shop, order a 1/18 scale M13/40. Pay $70 and go home happy. Next best thing to owning a replicator.

1 sr71 in 1 18 scale please :)
whats up doc....

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 am

So the desktop is good for all those little pieces (landing gear for a Spotcat?) maybe some slightly larger pieces.
Sure would be nice to be able to get some big stuff though. Like whole 1/18 tanks.

Wonder if this technology is being used or could be used to make virtual prototypes of the injection molds to cut the cost of production of 1:18 models or any other models, combining new tech with existing production techniques?

Lifesize aircraft turboprop engine prototype made with 3D printer:
http://machinedesign.com/article/design ... oprop-0217

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:29 am

Dauntless wrote:So the desktop is good for all those little pieces (landing gear for a Spotcat?) maybe some slightly larger pieces.
Sure would be nice to be able to get some big stuff though. Like whole 1/18 tanks.
In theory, the vertical axis of these printers can be extended. I've already seen a hack that raises the Z-axis of the MakerBot by what looks like a foot or so. From the photos of that modification, it looks like you could make at least front and back halves of 1/18 WWII fighter fuselages. Make the cut at some panel line location and design in some stout internal tabs and I think you'd be in business.

Interestingly, there's be no need to do this in left and right halves, since hollow parts are no problem for 3D printing.

One note: I'm not yet sure what the minimum layer dimension is on the MakerBot, but there's no question it's not as good as "professional" machines. I'm already thinking of how this can be dealt with. One idea I've got is slathering putty over something like a large surface you want to be smooth to fill in the layer marks, and then sanding down to the plastic.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:41 pm

I've been looking into these off and on as well.
I came across this one: http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
I have access to Solidworks so if anyone wants to explore this a bit more and needs some parts drawn up I can help. Solidworks can be saved in various file formats.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:47 pm

After looking at just about every video about it on YouTube, including a number of build videos, I just bought one of these:

http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-thing-o-matic.html

The site says there's a 7-week lead time for this, but also says it's "in stock." Even if it gets here in time for Xmas, though, it looks like a 3-weekend project to build, and I'm very busy with real-world work, so it'll be well into next year before I have any results. If there's interest, I'll report on my progress in putting it together once I get it.

Rogue 01
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogue 01 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:26 am

I have never seen some like this it will be an easy way for mod if the $$$ is not the problem
Never Under estimate the power Of the Force

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:07 am

gburch wrote:After looking at just about every video about it on YouTube, including a number of build videos, I just bought one of these:

http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-thing-o-matic.html

The site says there's a 7-week lead time for this, but also says it's "in stock." Even if it gets here in time for Xmas, though, it looks like a 3-weekend project to build, and I'm very busy with real-world work, so it'll be well into next year before I have any results. If there's interest, I'll report on my progress in putting it together once I get it.
Can you build me something german? :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Well, I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself since I haven't even gotten the kit yet and I don't expect to be spitting plastic with it until probably February, BUUUUT, the first project I have in mind (Gott in Himmel!!!) is a 1/18 V-2. I've been thinking A LOT about how to do it.

We'll see ....

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:45 pm

For myself, I'd like a 1/6 V-2:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:50 am

I got my Makerbot kit last week and spent a few hours getting started on building it. I'd say I'm about 1/3 along on the basic hardware assembly process. It' a little daunting, but once I got started, things started moving along. (I keep thinking of the reviewer who said that "If you're the kind of person who wakes up on a Saturday morning and decides that you want to build an air conditioner, this is for you.") There are a few issues I'm concerned about that I won't know whether I got right until it's all together and I try to make it work but, hey, I knew I was in for a big project when I bit this one off.

Anyway, at the rate I'm going and with real-world work, I'd say I'm 4-6 weeks away from knowing whether this is going to work and might be applicable to making 1/18 stuff that might be of interest here.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:13 am

Sounds great !!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 am

A friend on another site was sharing this. 8) Thought I'd post it here as well.
3D printing a large scale USS Enterprise:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/studio-scale- ... ndex2.html

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:24 pm

After two straight days last weekend and three days this weekend .... it's PRINTING AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Right now it's cranking out it's first object -- a box 20 cm on a side.