Finally Got "Killer"

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Finally Got "Killer"

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:58 pm

I was afraid that "Killer" might run like some other BBI products and I'd never get my hands on one. But some of you reported seeing them in TRU and I thought I'd check. Sure enough, there were two...and I finally got mine. A few observations....these might also apply to "Cripes O Mighty" and "Hurry Home Honey". I understand that they are just repaints....so watch for some of these oopsoo's to reappear.
The Good: Just like everyone has been reporting, "Killer" has an exceptional paint job with very good stenciling all over, sharp markings, and a very good burnished silver overall. The parts fit together fine, and the overall appearance is dead on. The pilot figure is far and away better than 21C figures I have. However, the seat chute has to come off for the pilot to sit in the cockpit correctly...no sweat. The elevators, rudder, and flaps all move...unlike 21C pieces that look like they do, but break off if you try. Don't even THINK about lowering the flaps on the FW-190D's! "Killer"'s ailerons are molded into the wings and do not move.
The Bad: Well, the scoop fell off as soon as it cleared the box. Easy to fix. The wheel covers (not the oleo strut covers) also fell off and I discovered that one of the two pivot pines (on both sides) was gone...snapped off somewhere along the way. Also easy to fix with a small piece of brass rod. The canopy will not close completely because the canopy cross brace hits the armored seatback about 1/8th inch before it can close completely...that one may take some work to angle the seat forward or move it. Moving the cross brace on the canopy is a no-go. The main gear oleo's are too long...I guess that they are fully extended...and have to stay that way to fit the gear wells. In all the photos of 1/1 aircraft, the gear (oleo) covers come all the way down nearly to the tire axle point. BBI's comes only to the tire top. Because of that, "Killer" sits high at the nose. Perhaps a small brass oleo replacement that's spring loaded can help that one...more major surgery.
Best of all was the price...I paid $40 plus tax...far better than the mail order places (sorry) even if it was a little later than most got it.
I have no doubt that BBI will continue the line beyond the P-51 and F-4U (gotta find that one yet) and improve. Hopefully, some of these small details can be delt with and erased. I am very happy with "Killer" and only regret having waited.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:09 pm

Folkwulfe,

Good to hear you finally got "Killer". I had none of the problems you experienced though but those things do happen from time to time. "Killers" paint scheme was pretty good although BBI put a fictitious pilots name on it "Capt John Madden" when it should have been "Major Robert Stephens" Also the squad codes are wrong. They are not GO but GQ. Not to hard to correct. I fixed the landing gear on mine to make it sit the right way when parked because I have no intention to hang it up anyway. I also detailed the wheel wells and added a few more things as well. If I had a scanner I'd post photos of it but I dont :evil: .

That all being said BBI's "Killer" is a very nice Mustang indeed. I liked it so much that I ordered the upcoming re-paint version as well. But on the horizon will be the new tool 21st version which it seems is going to be the masterpeice Mustang with working gun bays and so fourth and even though I was doubtful about it at first my mind has changed since Comic-Con 05.

But its cool you finally got "Killer" because it does make a nice show peice and is a great addition to your 1/18th collection. But when the 21st Mustang arrives you might think of selling it, I know I might.

:)
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:22 pm

raiderad6 ah yes there is! First 21st will have the working gun bay features and second 21st's new tool Mustang is almost spot on accurate where BBI's Mustang does have some inaccuracies here and there. But I'll let some of the other guys tell about those since I just got off of work and I'm too tired to go into those right now.

8)
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.