1/16 tanks

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/16 tanks

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:48 am

Got a Heng Long M-26 Pershing yesterday to go with my Kingtiger. I ordered from Mediatoys on ebay again as the $98 price tag was tough to beat. It saved me over $30 as opposed to buying the one at my local Hobbytown store.

Neat tank and the XD D-Day tankers work well with it.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:50 pm

There are two 1/16 Mk IIIs made:

I have this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-Panzerkamp ... 27bc0c09aa

I dont have this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Tank-1-16-Sc ... 25687547c1

anyone know the differences??

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:14 am

The first one is an ausf L with longer barreled 5cm L60. It had stand off armor on the mantlet and glacis. The second one is an earlier ausf H with 5cm L42. It is the tauchpanzer version (diving tank) with under water wading gear.

Visually, the turret and upper hull look different, the lower hulls are more or less the same.
The ausf H version has opening turret hatches as well.
The ausf H version makes a good conversion to earlier ausf E & Fs.
I've been converting mine to a late ausf F.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:40 am

That MK III looks great!!! good job, I want to see that one when your done! 8)

Does anyone know what a good price is for a Unimax Forces of Valor 1:16th Scale U.S. M4A3 Sherman?? Anyone know the cheapest place to get one?

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Just got around to opening my Merit 1:16 T-34 and discovered they sent me the Tiger I on accident. But, the Tiger looks so good I decided to keep it and asked them to just send me a T-34 as new order. Sure looks like I may wind up in 1:16 scale ;-)

Still havent opened the USS Hornet yet, figure it may take time to setup and dont have the time yet. :-(
Last edited by CW4USARMY on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:12 pm

CW4USARMY wrote:Just got around to opening my Merit 1:16 T-34 and discovered they sent me the Tiger II on accident. But, the Tiger looks so good I decided to keep it and asked them to just send me a T-34 as new order. Sure looks like I may wind up in 1:16 scale ;-)

Still havent opened the USS Hornet yet, figure it may take time to setup and dont have the time yet. :-(
Post pics! I would like to see it, I did not know Merit made a king tiger...

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:31 pm

is there any word on the street about a 1/16 Sherman?? I dont understand why henglong does not make one and why mato decided to not make the classic M4A4 Sherman when the only one to be had was Tamiya's kit and the forces of valor one, both are very pricey... Will there be one made by a maker like henglong?? Dont get me wrong, I got into 1/16 from 1/18 for a large scale armor collection because you could get a KV-1 or a Stug III but it is weird that the most popular tank especially for Americans is missing....

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Jnewboy wrote:
CW4USARMY wrote:Just got around to opening my Merit 1:16 T-34 and discovered they sent me the Tiger II on accident. But, the Tiger looks so good I decided to keep it and asked them to just send me a T-34 as new order. Sure looks like I may wind up in 1:16 scale ;-)

Post pics! I would like to see it, I did not know Merit made a king tiger...
Sorry Jnewboy, I meant Tiger I. :oops:

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:23 am

CW4USARMY wrote:Just got around to opening my Merit 1:16 T-34 and discovered they sent me the Tiger I on accident. But, the Tiger looks so good I decided to keep it and asked them to just send me a T-34 as new order. Sure looks like I may wind up in 1:16 scale ;-)

Never mind. :oops:

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Got news today from Hooben, the Maus kit is not ready yet but it is close and will sell for $315

When it is ready I will be trying to get members to go in on a group order to get a group discount and a shipping discount...

My only concern about adding the Maus to my collection is how bad it will dwarf my other armor, even a king tiger seems small next to it...

When you add a Maus to a collection it seems like all conversation turns to how stupidly bigger the Maus is compared to anything else, dont get me wrong, its awesome but so are all the other tanks that will live in its shadow if added to a collection..

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Random question, but where can one get the other crystals for a heng long remote and tank that have a different frequency so that one can run more than one tank at a time? Thanks!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 am

I'd try a hobby shop that specializes in RC stuff, or even Ebay... different frequency crystals should be relatively easy to get... I've not been "into" RC for years, since I was young, but they weren't especially difficult to obtain then so I'd assume it's the same now. No clue what they'd cost though.

I was running my KT tonight... Man, that's just a monster. Feels well put together, and everyone was right, the paintjob's shockingly decent as-is.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:37 pm

I don't understand why Hooben would do such a Tank as the Maus. When I bought my T-55 I suggested to their rep that they consider a British Centurion MK III for their next tank model.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:44 pm

Jesse James wrote:I'd try a hobby shop that specializes in RC stuff, or even Ebay... different frequency crystals should be relatively easy to get... I've not been "into" RC for years, since I was young, but they weren't especially difficult to obtain then so I'd assume it's the same now. No clue what they'd cost though.

I was running my KT tonight... Man, that's just a monster. Feels well put together, and everyone was right, the paintjob's shockingly decent as-is.
What KT did you buy??

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:30 pm

I got the HL with the POrsche Turret... It's a real behemoth, and fun putting it beside the Tiger I that I picked up earlier this year. Just having them near each other is a neat little peak at evolution, sort of.

I really have no clue where to go next... Shermans are my favorites, so I'm temtped there, but the price hurts my decision on it. Still, it's the most badass version of it, so I'm tempted for sure. Stug also has my eye, as I really enjoy that one a lot.

Likewise I enjoy the Jagdpanther... I'd say those are the top 3, and I'm not sure which direction to go. T34 would be in the running, but finding one for a fair price seems difficult.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Jesse James wrote:I got the HL with the POrsche Turret... It's a real behemoth, and fun putting it beside the Tiger I that I picked up earlier this year. Just having them near each other is a neat little peak at evolution, sort of.

I really have no clue where to go next... Shermans are my favorites, so I'm temtped there, but the price hurts my decision on it. Still, it's the most badass version of it, so I'm tempted for sure. Stug also has my eye, as I really enjoy that one a lot.

Likewise I enjoy the Jagdpanther... I'd say those are the top 3, and I'm not sure which direction to go. T34 would be in the running, but finding one for a fair price seems difficult.
I have that KT and it is cool however for factory paint jobs I prefer the Mato KT. Im in the same boat about the Sherman, the Mato one is cool but I dont want or need multiple shermans so I am holding out for an affordable classic version to be on the market

The stug is awesome! out of your list that is what I would get. The Panther and Jagdpanther are cool but the lower glacial plate on both is wrong, its angle is off to make room for RC gear maybe

lancelot
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lancelot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:51 pm

can anybody find or post some images of the Hooben T-55 next to some scale 1/18 figures? That kind of a product is a bit ritzy for my tastes but if I can convince a family member to get it for me as a birthday or Christmas gift and I'd really like to see what it looks like with any kind of figure near that scale.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:40 am

Jnewboy wrote:The Panther and Jagdpanther are cool but the lower glacial plate on both is wrong, its angle is off to make room for RC gear maybe
I've heard that this problem with the HL's are 'correctable' and the modeler who claimed that said he was puzzled as to why it was done in the first place for they didn't need to make room for the gearbox.

Anyway, speaking of Shermans ... one of my favorites:

Took this for a member on another forum for a size comparison. I need to work on some landscape backgrounds on photo shoots for I need to take one of my 3 Tamiya Shermans. Side-by-side-by-side. :mrgreen:

~ Jeff

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:56 pm

tankduel wrote:That's my SU-152 :mrgreen:
The kit is out of production now, awaiting a revised re-release with even more metal.
Nev
Who made your kit? I was able to get find this one: http://www.store-juckenburg.de/catalog/ ... cts_id/263

I have his 1/16 Hetzer kit already and it seems to be a good quality resin kit

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 am

That is the Elmod SU-152 kit and it is out of production ... for now. Hopefully it does reappear soon for I want one too, it sold out very quickly then they said they were going to "improve" it. Everyone seems to have had no problems with the kit so they must be just adding more metal to the kit as they said.

~ Jeff

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Anyone have the Hooben elefant and have a pic you could post? Getting really temped by the kit. Also, anyone know if the kit is screw together, glue together, snap fit, or what?

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:16 pm

hotrodrock wrote:Anyone have the Hooben elefant and have a pic you could post? Getting really temped by the kit. Also, anyone know if the kit is screw together, glue together, snap fit, or what?
Its great, good plastic, individual track links, glue required traditional model just like a Trumpeter or many others

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 am

Im trying to make a heng long 1/16 Mk IV into a "J" model similar to the Tamyia 1/16 Mk IV but I want it to also have the side armor. Is there any known kit for the armor on the sides? I can make the plates fairly easily but the bracing and the rails will be harder...

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Actually, it's not that hard once you get started!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 pm

i was checking for info on the Trumpeter 1/16 Su-100 and found this:

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/trumpet ... 26466.html

note it says: This product was released on Friday 13 January, 2012.

um, what?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...