FW-190 problem/question

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
SuRrEaLNJ
Corporal
Corporal

FW-190 problem/question

Post by SuRrEaLNJ » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:08 pm

I just received my 2nd 190 today, Black 1. When i got her out of the box i emediately noticed that the tail wheel was floppy. With the waight of the plane on it it wont stay in the down position. Also the step is broken off and is no where to be found in the box. Aside from shiping the plane back any idea on how to fix the tailwheel? think if i write 21st i can obtain a replacement step?
Thanks in advance

~Jay
[color=red][url=http://www.surrealnewjersey.com][size=200]SURREAL NJ[/size][/url] Historical, Abandoned and "Haunted" Locations. Based in NY/NJ
[/color]

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:23 pm

Did you get it from a small retailer? If so, and if they are a reputable retailer, you may be able to return the plane and have them send out a new one. You can always try writing to 21c to see if they can get a replacement step, but I can't garuantee any results. You could also check local Wal Marts, see if they have the plane, get it, switch the fuselage pieces and return the plane citing that its damaged. Wal Mart will probably take it.

Now ready for the funny part? To correctly answer your tailwheel question, I went and had a look at my S2 "Black Cheveron" FW-190. Turns out that in they year or so that I've had the plane, I had never known that the tail wheel could extend downward :oops: It did.

The plane had always looked fine sitting with the wheel retracted up, so if your gear is loose, you could use super or model glue to permanently attach it in the retracted position.

Hope this helps!

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:57 pm

Now this is funny, because I never thought that the wheel retracted!! A long time ago, this was discussed as inaccurate. Can somebody confirm that the wheel retracts and maybe snaps into place like the P-47 and Corsair??

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:42 am

Teamski wrote:Now this is funny, because I never thought that the wheel retracted!! A long time ago, this was discussed as inaccurate. Can somebody confirm that the wheel retracts and maybe snaps into place like the P-47 and Corsair??

-Ski
The tailwheel extends, but I have never been able to snap it in.. :oops:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:50 am

Yes the tail wheel does come down. 2 of my 5 will snap firmly into position and carry the weight of the tail the other 3 come down but the weight of the tail section sinks down the tail wheel. This is common with all the 190's.

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

F-190 questions

Post by eddie372 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:36 pm

Hello Jay:

Both of my 190s have the same tail wheel characteristic as yours, so obviously it's a design thing.

As for 21C helping you with the step part, I must say that they were very helpful and prompt when helping me raplace the canopy on my F4U Corsair. They even called me personally to verify the exact part I was ordering.

I'd also like to share something with you all, which you may find helpful. I discovered a while back that the glue used for PCV piping (sold at Home Depot in the plumbing/sprinklers area) works absolutely perfect with the type of plastic used in our models. It's a little messy so you must be very careful. Use a small modelers paint brush instead of the cotton ball that comes with it.

Good luck! Ed

SuRrEaLNJ
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SuRrEaLNJ » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:49 am

Thanks for the info guys.
Since its a common problem im not gonna worry bout returning it or anything. And since it retracting is inacurate ill just hit it with a dab of CA. altho since i hung it from the ceilin its in the down possition at the moment :D
Ill shoot 21st an email bout the step... worst come to worst I'll fabricate one.

~Jay
[color=red][url=http://www.surrealnewjersey.com][size=200]SURREAL NJ[/size][/url] Historical, Abandoned and "Haunted" Locations. Based in NY/NJ
[/color]

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:03 am

SuRrEaLNJ wrote:Thanks for the info guys.
Since its a common problem im not gonna worry bout returning it or anything. And since it retracting is inacurate ill just hit it with a dab of CA. altho since i hung it from the ceilin its in the down possition at the moment :D
Ill shoot 21st an email bout the step... worst come to worst I'll fabricate one.

~Jay
Jay,
The retracting tailwheel is NOT innaccurate.. So if you are in the flying mode, leave it retracted.. :wink:
The only innacurrate thing about the tailwheel is that it won't stay down when sitting.. :oops:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

SuRrEaLNJ
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SuRrEaLNJ » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:58 am

man, and i thought i was gonna get off that easy...

~Jay
[/color]

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:59 am

SuRrEaLNJ wrote:man, and i thought i was gonna get off that easy...

~Jay
You are, now you don't have to do anything to the plane.. Just leave it alone.. Nuthin' easier than that.. :lol: :wink:
-Howard Stark

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:34 am

in flying mode the step is retracted too...

SuRrEaLNJ
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SuRrEaLNJ » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:08 am

on the 1:1 the step retracts? i never knew that
[/color]

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:14 am

SuRrEaLNJ wrote:on the 1:1 the step retracts? i never knew that
Afergs right.. If yours is broken off, then you're in even better shape
-Howard Stark