Replacing batteries on JSI F-14???

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Helo Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Replacing batteries on JSI F-14???

Post by Helo Driver » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:31 am

This may have been posted already, but does anyone now how to replace the batteries on the F-14? If seems the battery compartment cover won't come off with the cockpit section attached to the main body. Has anyone done this already?

raymond woods
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Replacing batteries on JSI F-14???

Post by raymond woods » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:00 pm

Helo Driver wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:31 am
This may have been posted already, but does anyone now how to replace the batteries on the F-14? If seems the battery compartment cover won't come off with the cockpit section attached to the main body. Has anyone done this already?
I hate to bump a post this old, but I am now in the same boat. I have an original LED JSI F-14 Tomcat and I can't figure out how to change the batteries. It has been in storage for a while now so I don't remember nor can I figure it out.

The instructions it came with have no mention of the location and I can't find any information anywhere online. I also think the JR version has a different battery compartment location than the Black Knights version.

Hope someone can help out there!

Thanks!

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:43 am

Helo Driver wrote:
You should be able to just wiggle the nose section forward enough to gain access to the back of the battery compartment panel. Working carefully pull the compartment off evenly so you don't break any of the pegs ( there are 3 sets of pegs, 2 at the back, 2 in the middle and, 2 in the front ). You can gently use the nose gear panel door to help with the removal of the battery compartment plate. The cover should come right off.
Personally, I wouldn't store the batteries in the compartment, they will corrode over time and just make problems later on.
Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:51 am

raymond woods wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:00 pm
Helo Driver wrote:
I hate to bump a post this old, but I am now in the same boat. I have an original LED JSI F-14 Tomcat and I can't figure out how to change the batteries. It has been in storage for a while now so I don't remember nor can I figure it out.

The instructions it came with have no mention of the location and I can't find any information anywhere online. I also think the JR version has a different battery compartment location than the Black Knights version.

Thanks!
First step is to remove the forward Phoenix pallets so you can remove the battery compartment panel. The panel starts at the back edge of the forward nose section, where it meets the main body when it's installed and, goes all the way to the back edge of the nose gear doors.
See my reply above to Helo Driver about how to get the compartment plate off. All the battery compartments on both jets are the same.
Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

raymond woods
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by raymond woods » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:06 pm

A-10LOADER wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:51 am
raymond woods wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:00 pm

Thanks!
First step is to remove the forward Phoenix pallets so you can remove the battery compartment panel. The panel starts at the back edge of the forward nose section, where it meets the main body when it's installed and, goes all the way to the back edge of the nose gear doors.
See my reply above to Helo Driver about how to get the compartment plate off. All the battery compartments on both jets are the same.
Steve
Thanks for the tips, I will give this a shot this weekend as everyone knows it's an ordeal to do anything on this thing while trying not to break anything!

I know I should have removed the batteries, but forgot about it. I think the old batteries are intact as I can see the lights very dimly when switched on. It's going back on display from now on so I'll be able to monitor the batteries lifespan.

Thanks!