Don't forget Hobbytown!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
jhogan
Corporal
Corporal

Don't forget Hobbytown!

Post by jhogan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:36 am

I go to my local Hobbytown USA store often looking for Corgi 1/72nd WWII aircraft to fit on the shelf under my 1/18th birds hanging from the ceiling. I was suprised to find a very nice assortment of 21C aircraft which I've never seen before. The store manager said this is the first 21C he has ordered. I found:

Fw190 "Candy Cane", "Black Chevron"
P-47 Bubbletops "Eagleton", "Snort'n Bull", "Eileen"
Bf109 "Tropical"
UH1 Huey "Shark Mouth", "Air America", "Slick"

I've only seen the Fw190's and the "Eagleton" P-47 in the W-M's around here. This is just like new releases for me. Check your Hobbytown. This could be a gold mine.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:14 am

I've been raving about the Hobbytown store in Fresno, Ca since November of 2004 when I walked in there and saw XD P-47s, P-51s and armor!

Mine has traditionally had a decent selection of new aircraft, and as of yesterday, was carrying XD P-47s (both types), Spitfires, FW-190s, ME-109s as well as some 1:18 armor. There were some BBI helos as well. The selection is currently down due to the dry 1:18 market. They have traditionally had nearly as wide a selection of 1:18 and 1:32 aircraft and armor as Bad Cat, though in smaller numbers. It is a very nice alternative to Wal Mart when certain items can't be found.

My store also carries Dragon 1:72 armor & aircraft, as well as the 1:6 figures. They have some Franklin Mint planes and a small selection of Corgi.

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:52 pm

Dang, I only found two Hobbytowns listed in New York State; one in Buffalo and the other in Albany. :roll:

I'm at the other end of the state. Oh well... it sounds like a great place.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:33 pm

Normandy,
Don't feel bad.. I have a Hobbytown right down the street and they don't carry anything.. I talked to the store owner and he said that stuff was "special order" from the manufacturer and unless he had more requests for it, wouldn't be ordering it anytime soon.. :cry:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Slobodon.Ginfizz
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Slobodon.Ginfizz » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:04 pm

Same here. I asked our local Hobbytown owner about XD, and he told me he didn't stock it because there was "no demand".

I always wonder how these guys know there's no demand for items they have never stocked.

Mad Ewok
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mad Ewok » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:54 pm

jhogan, is this the Hobbytown at Grand Prairie???

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:35 pm

normandy wrote:Dang, I only found two Hobbytowns listed in New York State; one in Buffalo and the other in Albany. :roll:

I'm at the other end of the state. Oh well... it sounds like a great place.
There is one in Newton, NJ if you are in the downstate NY area.

TJ

normandy

hobbytown

Post by normandy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:03 pm

TJ, thanks I may check that out I'm on Long Island so thats not to far. Harry the owner won't "special order" for you? :shock: The owner of Baseline Models (thats the military model shop I go to) will special order anything books, kits even 1/6th stuff. I haven't asked him to order any XD for me... I just don't want him to know I also buy pre-made models, It would break his heart. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

hworth18

Re: hobbytown

Post by hworth18 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:09 pm

normandy wrote:TJ, thanks I may check that out I'm on Long Island so thats not to far. Harry the owner won't "special order" for you? :shock: The owner of Baseline Models (thats the military model shop I go to) will special order anything books, kits even 1/6th stuff. I haven't asked him to order any XD for me... I just don't want him to know I also buy pre-made models, It would break his heart. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Normandy..
I could special order thru him, but I was wanting him to carry the line.. I actually have everything I want at the moment, but it would be nice not having to hit 5 Walmarts to find what I need.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

digger

LI

Post by digger » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:10 pm

Normandy - I posted in the WM thread about LI stores. I found Corsairs, 109s & 190s (and of course Hueys) so if it's an AC jones you got then you don't need to pay Hobby Shop Prices. :wink:

normandy

hobbytown

Post by normandy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:56 pm

Harry, I hear ya. It would be nice to walk into a place and find a mix of XD and glad to hear the owner would special order for you.
Digger, I just looked at your post in the wm thread- I've got a 3 day weekend and I may just check a few walmarts here in Nassau, I'll let you know what I find. After this I think I'll be doing all my XD hunting on line... Just filled up the truck $2.39 per gal. for reg. $2.57 for high test. :roll:

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:42 am

Wow, Lonk Island. That would be a haul to Newton NJ. The Newton store has a light selection of FOV stuff. They had a bigger selection when they first opened last year. Isnt there a place called "American Hobby Center" out by you? I was there once with a buddy from Levittown. It was mostly trian stuff at the time.

TJ

normandy

hobbytown

Post by normandy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:42 pm

:shock: Ok, so Newton N.J. isn't just across the bridge. For some reason I had it closer to N.Y.C. :oops: its 95miles door to door.
As for American Hobby Center I found One listed in Manhatten.
Thanks TJ I'll check it out next time I'm in the city.

jhogan
Corporal
Corporal

Hobbytown buying for their Stores

Post by jhogan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:48 pm

Yes, Mad Ewok it is the Hobbytown in Grand Prairie. I also learned Hobbytown is buying 21C for their stores through their Lincoln, Neb warehouse. This means HTUSA can buy in volume from 21C. Bring on the Avenger!

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:07 pm

greetings... I stopped by the Kennesaw mtn Hobbytown today and was a bit impressed by the selection; its been a couple of months since I was last there. It's easier to hit the WMs for the latest-and cheapest. I saw a couple of fw black 1's, langley p-40, tropical 109's and assorted 1/32nd armor. I was quite surprised to see 5 or 6 of the BOB 1/18th panthers. I cant bring myself to give hobbytown an extra 20.00 compared to the WM's. Being near 4 wm's-one across from Naval Air Station Atlanta, new stuff does appear somewhat regularly.