My VF-101 Grim Reapers F-14

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
jetsmaniac
Corporal
Corporal

My VF-101 Grim Reapers F-14

Post by jetsmaniac » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Finally I got it back from Jack. Can't wait to share photos (click). Sorry for less-than-perfect backdrop. These two planes are so huge that I have to sit F-16 out before getting a bigger shelf. :x

This F-14 is on CV-12 Hornet (same Buno). There are some differences, but the real plane is 2005 scheme. I picked a 2001-2003 scheme. I specically asked Jack to do it because:

1. JSI makes F-14A, not B/D. That leaves me few options.
2. Jolly Rogers needs a skeleton bro.
3. Love sharkmouth.
4. Former Grim Reapers VF-10 was famous on CV-6 Enterprise in WW2.
5. My other two favorites (VF-111 and VF-31) have been done. Got to try something different.

I also like to accept submissions of other repainting jobs. Thanks(?) to JSI, many owners are inspired(?) to repaint their F-14s. It's a shame not to have a photo library of them. If you like your work to be seen more often, you are welcome to submit. Just PM me. Finished jobs are preferred.

Please see other albums for preferred formats. I also like to get Buno, carrier name, year, modeler and etc (optional).

See you soon. 8)
[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/mtlin550][img]http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/34784/2860792140071430623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img][/url]
A photo database dedicated to all 1/18 F-14 repainted squadrons.
Click it. Accept submissions today!

YT
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by YT » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:04 pm

I can't wait to see more pictures.

jetsmaniac
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jetsmaniac » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Just click onto the photo. I don't want to take too much space on board.
Damn, it's sexy to see two in formation. Can't afford two more. :shock:
[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/mtlin550][img]http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/34784/2860792140071430623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Very nice repaint! Great job, Jack! 8)
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:49 pm

jetsmaniac wrote:Just click onto the photo. I don't want to take too much space on board.
Damn, it's sexy to see two in formation. Can't afford two more. :shock:

DOES THE LANDING GEAR STILL RETRACT AND R THEY STRONG?
whats up doc....

jetsmaniac
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jetsmaniac » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:33 am

I specifically asked for Jack's 1st version (less detailed with metal rod). The detailed all metal gears are great but the bays are too small to fit. I have to pack and transport them someday so I opted for early version.

I don't have the chance to try out all metal detailed gears. I doubt they will break unless you try to ride the plane. Why not someone who orders latest version speaks?

I regret not getting a LED version of F-14. With fire bursting out of the engines, it will be awesomer. :P

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:50 am

jetsmaniac wrote:I specifically asked for Jack's 1st version (less detailed with metal rod). The detailed all metal gears are great but the bays are too small to fit. I have to pack and transport them someday so I opted for early version.

I don't have the chance to try out all metal detailed gears. I doubt they will break unless you try to ride the plane. Why not someone who orders latest version speaks?

I regret not getting a LED version of F-14. With fire bursting out of the engines, it will be awesomer. :P

so the landing gear did not warp and as you know it hold it weight pretty well

with out worry of future braking under its own weight?
whats up doc....

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:14 am

I still love the look of the large detailed gear, any ways I love your repaint!
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

jetsmaniac
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jetsmaniac » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:29 am

I like the bouncing feel on this set of gears. When you put down the plane, you feel the drop. You lift the plane, and the springs bounce back.

However it's not without flaws. On the other JR plane, I broke one gear at the top rotating joint. My arms were tired of heavy lifting so I guess somehow all weight fell on one gear awkwardly. I could have handled more carefully. Jack will kindly send me another, but I have elmer-glued all joints on this Grim Reapers'. If I want to make it in the air, just add water and loose up the joints.

My guess is that in 1st version Jack reinforced the weakness at the bottom but didn't address the weaker plastic of the whole gears. This plastic is crispy. BBI made lighter planes but thicker plastic than this heavier F-14. I never heard of someone breaking their F-16/-18 gears.

Just uploaded more photos. Look like it's in a museum, isn't it?

la817291
Corporal
Corporal

Post by la817291 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:00 am

great repaint, boddy ,and I like the shark mouth,it's just look great! :P

and yes,it's look like in a museum,congatuation!

so you mean Jack's 1st version (less detailed with metal rod) still can retract but the 2nd version (detailed all metal gears )are not retractable? :roll:

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:18 am

Man, this is how these birds are supposed to look.... 8)

How much is the service going for?

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:57 am

jetsmaniac wrote:I like the bouncing feel on this set of gears. When you put down the plane, you feel the drop. You lift the plane, and the springs bounce back.

However it's not without flaws. On the other JR plane, I broke one gear at the top rotating joint. My arms were tired of heavy lifting so I guess somehow all weight fell on one gear awkwardly. I could have handled more carefully. Jack will kindly send me another, but I have elmer-glued all joints on this Grim Reapers'. If I want to make it in the air, just add water and loose up the joints.

My guess is that in 1st version Jack reinforced the weakness at the bottom but didn't address the weaker plastic of the whole gears. This plastic is crispy. BBI made lighter planes but thicker plastic than this heavier F-14. I never heard of someone breaking their F-16/-18 gears.

Just uploaded more photos. Look like it's in a museum, isn't it?

thank you...i bought a thick landing gear... but i was thinking of getting two bird and making one with working landing gear just to get that bounce spring feeling... ya i know what u mean by breaking...

i love the reaper great looking plane love the preshading and the wash very well done you can bearly see it..

was the color blue or gray? if ghost gray was it dark on top and light on the bottom?
whats up doc....

jedimech
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jedimech » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:08 am

Great repaint, bro!!
Looking forward to more photos.

jetsmaniac
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jetsmaniac » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:13 am

Black_Dragon_One wrote: thank you...i bought a thick landing gear... but i was thinking of getting two bird and making one with working landing gear just to get that bounce spring feeling... ya i know what u mean by breaking...

i love the reaper great looking plane love the preshading and the wash very well done you can bearly see it..

was the color blue or gray? if ghost gray was it dark on top and light on the bottom?
I don't know a jack (pun unintended) about repainting. but I can see different grays for top and bottom. I can imagine why it's a pain in the ass.

I let Jack answer the rest of questions. I have a plane to catch now. See you in DC.

Anyone wants to donate photos?

SkyWorksToys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SkyWorksToys » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:04 am

I mix my own paint but a proper colors are light ghost gray on bottom ghost gray on sides medium gray which has little bluish over tone on top.Over time with exposure to paint colors you can distinguish same colors in a nature for example cement will have dark ghost gray color or medium gray when wet and ghost gray wen dry it is kind of surprising to me,same time I can distinguish particular notes in music which does not surprise me, after all this are just waves waving