RC Plane Talk

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: RC Plane Talk

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:17 am

if anyone is interested, the sr-71 is on sale at Nitro Hobby. Great price and reasonable shippng. It's 1/26 scale.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/78a71-sr71-black-kit.html
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 pm

F-18E Super Hornet. 1/18.9 scale. Quite a variety of paint schemes available. Good price.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/78a18--f18-j ... r-kit.html

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:24 pm

My Panavia Tornado arrived!

I've only rougly fitted it together, just to see what it looks like.
The tail wings are drooping because I haven't glued the tail section together.
I may fit the cockpit out using some scaled up papermodel parts.
Aferg.....now that i've got it, I'm thinking a grey paint scheme may look pretty good.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:07 pm

looks pretty good. I'll have to wait til i see mine in person before i decide on a repaint or not. Do the decals come already applied or did you put them on? Is the canopy glued in place or seperate?

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:30 pm

The decals were already on. There is a small decal sheet with a couple of roundels though.

The canopy was already fixed to the upper fuselage. Looks like it's been glued around the edge, inside of the framing. The fuselage is divided into an upper and lower half.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 pm

you know what....i never really looked at the model pics before. This isn't an F3 tornado. Its the ground attack version which has a shorter, blunter nose. In which case the paint scheme is totally wrong. It should be in green and grey or for a desert storm version, desert pink.

Here's a picture of the F3 tornado for comparison. Somewhere along the line during development, they changed the nose because the early pics were of an F3.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 42.arp.jpg

it doesn't come with 2 nose cones by any chance does it? Maybe they are offering both versions.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:46 am

Hmmmm....interesting. Mine only came with one nose cone, which pretty much fits the styrene nose like a glove.

Desert Storm it is then....

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:32 am

yeah it's really not that bad. I like the F3 because it is sleeker and more elegant looking. But as far as combat history goes, the IDS strike version has it all. I don't think the F3 (which is the fighter variant) has ever even fired a shot in anger....they were used for CAP during desert storm etc, but never encountered any enemy aircraft, i don't think.

The strike version on the other hand saw tons of action, with some being shot down. The famous pictures of the two very rough looking british pilots who were captured by the iraqis during desert storm were a tornado IDS crew.

If you do a repaint what are you going to do for decals?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:12 am

anyone Jones-ing for an F-4 Phantom?

Here's one at a great price:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a04-airfie ... y-kit.html

I believe it's an F-4B, which makes it over scale, close to 1/16. But it looks nice. There's also a SEA scheme version available. The Phantom was actually a smaller plane than i thought. I always pictured it as being huge but it was really about the same size as an F-18.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:54 am

aferguson wrote:If you do a repaint what are you going to do for decals?
......Not 100% sure. I've found decal sheets while surfing the net. So it's a case of finding a scheme I like, scaling it up, cleaning up the resolution and printing it on decal sheets.....well.....that's the plan anyway :roll: .
Might need to get a desert storm model kit for the decal sheet and colour charts.

Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:09 am

aferguson wrote:anyone Jones-ing for an F-4 Phantom?

Here's one at a great price:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a04-airfie ... y-kit.html

I believe it's an F-4B, which makes it over scale, close to 1/16. But it looks nice. There's also a SEA scheme version available. The Phantom was actually a smaller plane than i thought. I always pictured it as being huge but it was really about the same size as an F-18.

have you order from the site before and do you trust them..?
whats up doc....

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:16 am

yes they're fine.....good customer service.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:06 pm

That F-4 is tempting. I wish Skyworks would tell us what the plan is for the F-4. XD collaboration. Is it going to be plastic mass produced? Resin piece parts? Etc............ :roll:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:34 pm

F9F Panther. Almost perfect 1/18.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=14620

Nose looks a bit too rounded to me but it could just be the angle of the photo. Regardless, looks pretty sweet.

Edit: nose is too rounded, just like it looks in the pic and the tail pipe is too large (concession to it's r/c nature). So looks wise it's not spot on. But i would say it's no worse than 21c's Me 109E (which looks chubby and has a tail fin that's the wrong shape) or P-40 (which looks 'pregnant')

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:52 pm

OK, I had to get the Phantom. For 67.00 bucks it looks great! (at least I hope so in person ;-)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:14 pm

it does look good...i don't think you can go wrong at that price....post some comparison pics when you get it. :)

the nice thing about it is it will be light, so easy to hang up. It will actually be in scale with your F-117 and BBI F-16, all are about the same 1/16.4 ish.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Received my F4 today. I won't be able to put it together and get pics for a couple of weeks but I did open it to look at and it looks amazing! Great looking paint and smooth finish and big. You'd never know it was foam. Cant wait to put it together and hang it! :-)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:05 pm

good to hear you like it....looking forward to pics. :)

YT

Post by YT » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:01 pm

aferguson wrote:looking forward to pics. :)

Seconded.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:37 pm

I'll try and put it together and take pics soon. This is the the third RC plane I've bought and each one has been great and for a great price! Thank's to Aferg for monitoring those websites and letting us know the deals! :wink:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:52 pm

i live to serve..

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Picked up Horizon Hobby's Phoenix R/C simulator today with the Spektrum DX5e. :D

Very happy since the weather is so crummy this time of year.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:15 pm

the new b-17 i mentioned a while ago will be out in about 2 months or less. It's 1/19.1 scale. Looks very good.

Pics on page 13 of this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 08&page=13

supposed to be an olive drab version as well. Follow the above thread for all updates.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:33 pm

It looks great! I'll definitely have to pick one up! Will look great hanging next to the B-25 (when I finally get time to put all of them together :roll: )
My new garage is just about finished ( finshed painting the upstairs and downstairs today, only the bathroom is left) and will finally have room to start building and hanging all these beauties! :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 am

a new series of mini warbirds contains a couple of planes that may be of interest. An AT-6 and Bearcat.

My dad was a flight instructer during the war and flew Harvards (AT-6) all the time. I'm hoping it's close to scale....if anything it may be a bit underscale.

The Bearcat looks pretty good, scale-wise. It was not a very large aircraft. As far as i know it saw no US combat service but could be used in the Rare Bear livery it comes in as a famous air racer, or repainted as a Blue Angel or as a French Bearcat which saw extensive service during the French Indo China (vietnam) war.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371681

the series also contains a T-28 trojan, which is about 1/19 scale.

Edit: the dimensions are available now. Both the T-6 Texan and Bearcat are spot on 1/18. The lengths seem too long in the specs, but that's because of the big goofy spinners on the planes (and the tail stub on the bearcat as it's based on the Reno racer not the fighter). Easily replaced with more scale units. I'm pretty chuffed about both of these. The bearcat is one of those wwii vehicles that is very cool but just didn't quite make it in time to contribute (like the soviet JS III tank) but would have had a big impact. It was designed specifically to climb fast to intercept inbound kamikazes, sacrificing size and range for rate of climb and manoueverability (it was heavily influenced by a captured fw-190). It would have seen extensive action had the Japan home islands been invaded.