RC Plane Talk

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: RC Plane Talk

Post by CW4USARMY » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:08 pm

DOH!!! I didnt see that one :-(. I just ordered the Bf-110 C from them today.
For those who want to know how to order, just email them and tell them what you want, they will email back to confirm, and once you confirm, they will send you a paypal invoice.
85.00 for shipping :shock: but overall its worth it. I love the B-25 and am looking forward to the 110. But the A-10 sure might be next (wish I had paid attention to that one :-(

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:51 pm

they've changed. They would only let me pay by bank transfer, to which i said no way Jose (i don't think Jose is a Czech name however). They said that paypal had big fees over there.....i guess that's why the shipping is so high. That's nearly twice what they quoted me.

The new kits they are producing have pre built canopies...all the framing is cut out and attached. That should make life easier for you on the 110 with it's 110 canopy frames....heh.

I'm still mulling getting the Ju 88. It's so over scale but it would look good with my spitfire shooting at it.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Prebuilt canopy will be great. The canopy and nose of the B-25 was some of the slowest work I did because there is no room for error with the thin plastic!

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Received my Bf-110 today! It's going to be great. It is larger than 1:18, but i don't think it is 1:13.
Probably somewhere in the middle. Hope to start working on it soon. Will post some pics of the kit soon. :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:41 pm

looking forward to seeing this one....i've been very tempted to get the Mosquito, but it's big 1/13 size has scared me off so far. The Ju-88, which is 1/15, spooks me a bit too, but i may eventually buckle and get it.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:54 am

here are some nice pics of the skyraider:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a878-800-a1-grey-kit.html

fly-dk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by fly-dk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:05 am

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 am

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a04-airfie ... y-kit.html

CW4USARMY has one that he got on sale for $65-ish. It's a bit over scale, close to 1/16 but quite nice looking. There is also a usaf SEA camo version that's out of stock at the moment.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:56 pm

anyone looking for a modern transport plane. This is a c-160 transall but it is virtually identical in appearance to the C-27 Spartan and scalewise works out to almost exactly 1/18 for a Spartan. The C-27J is just beginning to enter service now and will be replacing C-130's in several roles, including potentially the gunship role.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARF-LARGE-SCALE ... 335d1460a8

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:09 am

here's a video of the upcoming Stuka G. Works out to 1/21 scale, a bit smaller than i was hoping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJPuP1TN ... r_embedded#!

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Has anyone ever tried coating the foam fuselage of a R/C plane to strengthen them for static display. I would enjoy building and detailing a Phantom or Skyraider for static display if I could insure it would not be destroyed through handling. JUST WONDERING.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:40 am

2 eurojets coming. Mirage 2000 and JAS 39. Both should be nearly exactly 1/18, slightly small if anything. The Grippen looks good but the Mirage might want a repaint to something more military looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfriQiuNf8Q

There's also a Hawker Sea Fury coming soon by this same company and it should be right on 1/18 as well. This is the same company that makes the F4F wildcat i mentioned a few posts above.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:54 am

I didn't realize that FSK also has an AN-2:

http://shop.flyingstyrokit.com/civil-ai ... -an-2.html

Looks to be very close to 1:18. It has been used heavily by air forces around the world.

Also, their price on the B-25 & A-10 are both only around $160? I remember them being more? Anyhow, they both look fabulous. Tempting...

And cool news on the Mirage and Gripen!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:16 am

i believe shipping is pretty high, over $50.

Yes i mentioned the AN-2 a while ago in a post above. Doesn't turn me on, as i'm having to be very selective these days, but lots of people are excited about it.

I have a feeling the Mirage will be too small but i think the Grippen will be very close to 1/18, judging by the size of the f-16 they make. We should know in a few weeks.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:37 am

If you buy 3 kits the shipping is free. It is listed on their main page.

http://shop.flyingstyrokit.com/

You could find 2 other people who want a flying styro kit and then work out shipping once they arrive.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 am

they've really improved their site. They also take credit cards and paypal now. Before it was bank transfer only.

I don't like the UPS shipping thing but that's just me.

I put the ju 88 in my cart and was told shipping is just $10. Hard to believe. I didn't bother to go through the checkout process so i don't know if that's for real or not. If so, a vast improvement in price.

The An-2 is about 1/18 in length and 1/17 in wingspan. Always double check the scale they state....they're often wrong.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:48 am

Yes, I believe Flying Styro has a new owner and they are trying hard to improve their products, shipping, customer service, etc. There is a thread going on at RC Groups regarding this in the electric warbird section. I think the free shipping on 3 kits is an awesome deal if you have the cash for the kits. I already have the B-25 and some of the single engine fighters so I am not in the market for a kit, but I am a big fan of them.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:11 pm

aferguson wrote:they've really improved their site. They also take credit cards and paypal now. Before it was bank transfer only.

I don't like the UPS shipping thing but that's just me.

I put the ju 88 in my cart and was told shipping is just $10. Hard to believe. I didn't bother to go through the checkout process so i don't know if that's for real or not. If so, a vast improvement in price.
Yes, I noticed that too. If you go a few steps further, it puts in the real shipping, which for USA/IL was $65 (EMS - not sure what that is?) or $80 (UPS).

I really like the idea of 3 people going in together to snag the free shipping! There's also a code on the RC Groups forum for 10% off (XMAS2011). Using both of those deals (which do work together), you could get three B-25 kits delivered to the US for ~$143 ea. Then of course you have to re-ship to the other two parties, but intra-country would obviously be a lot less, maybe $20? So maybe $165 total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:58 pm

ems is a courier that will ship to the US and then USPS will take over. Same is true for any other country, that country's postal system receives it from EMS and delivers it.

I really wonder if that 3 for free shipping applies to North America, given the high cost of shipping one.

The future is very bright, for anyone who can get into these r/c planes. Quality is improving constantly and with the new rage for 'mini' r/c's, many of which just so happen to be around 1/18, variety is improving in leaps and bounds. They also listen intently to their fans and often produce planes they ask for (the upcoming Sea Fury being a case in point).

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:30 pm

and speak of the devil, here's a pic of the sea fury, due out soon. 1/20 scale

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... 20Fury.jpg

YT

Post by YT » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:56 pm

parrish333 wrote:
I really like the idea of 3 people going in together to snag the free shipping! There's also a code on the RC Groups forum for 10% off (XMAS2011). Using both of those deals (which do work together), you could get three B-25 kits delivered to the US for ~$143 ea. Then of course you have to re-ship to the other two parties, but intra-country would obviously be a lot less, maybe $20? So maybe $165 total.
I really want a B-25, so I would be in for the 3 plane deal if you could find a third. I said I wasn't buying anymore this year, but I would make an exception for this deal.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 am

This looks like a good spot to ask this. Is there a good B-25 in the 1/24th 1/25th scale range out there? Prefer one that is mostly built. Thanks for any help or info.
Could not think of anything to put here.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:36 am

not that i know of, Kim. The smallest is the Flyiing Styro which is about 1/17. All the others are larger than that. In fact, the only 1/24-ish bomber i know of is the upcoming Lancaster.

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Thank you
Could not think of anything to put here.

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:32 am

If anyone is serious about the buy 3/free shipping deal, I would be in for an A-10. I would assume you could mix and match kits to qualify for the free shipping promotion. That combined with the promo code above would make for a great deal on these planes.

PM me if interested........I'm ready to buy a Warthog. :wink:

-Rob

"You have to go out, but you don't have to come back".