Pegasus Bell X-1

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Pegasus Bell X-1

Post by tko211 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Sorry if there is already a thread. Move this if you know of one.

I was painting a Tomcat this weekend and while watching paint dry in between parts I decided to try out a Bell X-1 kit from Pegasus in 1:18. I was skeptical, had no idea what I was in for, wondered if the gear worked at all and if so did they work well. all that jazz. But I cracked it open and dove in.

Immediately I found that indeed the gear are supposed to work. Cool I thought. So I began painting. 2 days later (and frankly not much assembly) the Bell X-1 was complete and you know what... IT's very very cool. It's a kit toy but I tell you its a great little add to the collection.

Anyone have other experiences or thoughts on the subject?

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:26 pm

I had a blast assembling mine too. I still have to finish painting mine, but I loved the fit and ease of putting the Bell X-1 kit together.

I hope we get to see more 1/18 scale subjects in kit form from Pegasus like the Bell X-1 in the future.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Oh yeah! I would totally buy a Komet if they did one. OR even better the X-15. I like these strange birds as toy kits!

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 am

Mine just arrived yesterday and I opened it up at the office to take a look. Naturally I couldn't resist and opened the bag that held the fuselage halves. I was very impressed by the fit. Looks like there will be a minimum of putty work.

I'm kicking myself, though, because I just did a big Tower Hobby supply buy and didn't think to include the International Orange I'll need.

Here's a question: How flat/gloss should the finish orange be?

Now if only they'll do an X-15!!! So many things to do with that -- little engine, big engine X-15, 2A ... three different tail numbers ... at least four distinct versions in all, and would look great with an F-104 NASA chase plane.

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 am

I'll get mine as soon as there will be a pre-assembled and pre-painted version.
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 am

I got the kit immediately when it came out and had mine assembled by early January. It is a really cool and very easy kit to assemble. My biggest problem was getting the two fuselage halves together without leaving a huge gap, but pounding them together with a soft mallet and using putty did the trick. Painting the canopy framing was also a challenge, but masking off the clear parts worked out. Painting the fuselage and wings was a breeze (I used Testors International Orange) and there is no need for weathering. It is difficult to fit a figure into the cockpit, but the S1 "midget" P-51 pilot works OK. I love the fact that the model has retractable landing gear and that it is very durable. In the end, I was pleased with my results and have no need to get the eventual pre-painted version :wink:

Here are the pictures I posted in a couple earlier threads about the Pegasus Bell X-1:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:35 am

looks real good, tmanthegreat.
nice job!
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

ClickClack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClickClack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:21 am

MyAtomic has the kit for $29.99 plus free shipping.

ClickClack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClickClack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:23 am

Sorry tko211, learning the board.

Yes sir the Pegasus X-1 turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I finish mine a week ago in gloss dayglow orange, then decals, weathering and an over coat of clear flat. It makes for a nice addition to the rather dry 1/18 scale market. If I figure out how to post pics, I’ll add them.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:28 am

very nice
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

HEY Pickelhaube or SkyWorks

Post by Mitch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:14 pm

I, like I think several other guys have been waiting with hope that Pegasus will come out with a pre assembled/painted one. It might not happen so would one of you guys be willing to buy/assemble/paint these and sell them as complete units?

I am first in line...

ClickClack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClickClack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm

One-0 nine, bare with it, they do work and rather nicely once you get it figured out. I had to grind out some of the wheelwell to allow room for the wheel to fully retract. Also be sure to pay attention to side numbers (1 or 2) that are on the right/left side gear, they must match or things will not fit properly.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:28 pm

The landing gear do fully retract without the need to modify them. It all comes down to where one places the support pin that sits above the main strut.

When positioned in the manner the assembly instructions indicate, the pin will hold the landing gear strut in the extended position by pressing the end of the pin back past the raised ledge on the top of the main gear strut. However, as one retracts the main strut, the pin will fold up on top of it and this prevents the wheel from folding into the landing gear bay completely.

The solution to allow the gear to fold up correctly is simple. Assemble the landing gear according to the instructions. Once completed, with the landing gear in the extended position, push the support pin back far enough so that its end now sits behind the main gear strut. That will take some pressure and you will hear and feel click once it is past the strut. One will now be able to fold the gear up completely. To lock the gear in the extended position, use a screwdriver, icepick or hook of some sort (I use a bent nail) to pull or pry the pin outward so that the end sits on top of the gear, locking it in place.

It is not the most perfect method and it is difficult to pull the pin into the extended position, but it allows the landing gear to fold correctly without modification. Since I have the plane hanging and not on its gear very often, my method works well for me :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Excellent job Tman! Very clean, nice build... 8)
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:54 am

I'm still in the rattle-can stage of model-building as far as paint spraying goes. So here's a question -- is there a rattle can of the correct International Orange available? I've looked on Tower Hobbies' website, and all they have is Testors bottle enamel. Ideally, I'd like acrylic. Anyone know if such a thing exists?

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:29 am

Spray cans are generally either enamel or laquer. Tamiya sprays are a primarily laquer base and are outstanding. Laquer dries whereas enamel must "cure" (solvents contained in the enamel must outgas) first. Depending on how many coats you use this can take up to a week to cure properly. Laquer is good to go in about 3 hours. Squadron is a much better resource for model supplies, imo. Best inventory and awesome customer service.

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:56 pm

gburch wrote:I'm still in the rattle-can stage of model-building as far as paint spraying goes. So here's a question -- is there a rattle can of the correct International Orange available? I've looked on Tower Hobbies' website, and all they have is Testors bottle enamel. Ideally, I'd like acrylic. Anyone know if such a thing exists?
i'am useing Tamiya TS-12 spray comeing out great :D http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/catego ... 500&page=4

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks! Unfortunately, there are now 3 or 4 projects that have gotten ahead of this, but I'm bookmarking this to have the info when I get back around to the X-1.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:59 pm

mikeyt wrote:
gburch wrote:I'm still in the rattle-can stage of model-building as far as paint spraying goes. So here's a question -- is there a rattle can of the correct International Orange available? I've looked on Tower Hobbies' website, and all they have is Testors bottle enamel. Ideally, I'd like acrylic. Anyone know if such a thing exists?
i'am useing Tamiya TS-12 spray comeing out great :D http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/catego ... 500&page=4
I will also echo that the Tamiya TS-12 orange paint is PERFECT for the X-1. I have a nose art replica piece that was done by Gary Velasco, a nose art expert, historian, and author on the subject. He was able to perfectly match the paint on his nose art to the actual X-1 in the Air and space museum in DC... I matched this panel to find the EXACT right orange and the Tamiya TS-12 paint is DEAD on! spray with confidence!

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

cockpit details added

Post by mikeyt » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Image added detail to the control column and panel wires :D

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Nice touch, mikeyt. :D