1/18 Scale M4A1 Hull Redo After 7 Years !!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by binder001 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:55 am

[quote="

The first M4A1 had the rollers you talked about ( just like on the M-3 Grant ) and tiny mantlet. They also had the slick pads on the tracks .
I think they progressed them as they built them.

The M4A1 hull is correct for the FOV . The grille in back is not an issue because with my replacement the FOV upper hull is not even used.This would be the late M4A1 version. Additional armor should be on the turret and aditional armor should be on the hull sides. Also the extra hatch on the top of the FOV should be deleated.

During the war they used eveything that was moving. Different tracks turrets and what not. If it fit use it.

The next phase of the M4A1 would be the 76 gun and it would have canted hull hatches. I am pretty sure I will not do that version. It all depends how this one sells.[/quote]

1) Return roller brackets - I wasn't refering to the "M3 type" return rollers as seen on the earliest M4, M4A1, M4A2s. There are several detail versions of the "trailing arm" return roller bracket. 21C was lazy and just copied the Tamiya 1/35th M4 model, feature for feature. Tamiya got lazy and put the late suspension bogies from their M4A3 into the M4 kit. Look at the return roller "arms" On the 21C the tops of the brackets have a mild upward curve, on the FOV the top is straight inline with the top of the bogie. This was a real production change, but the "raised arm" brackets belong only on later production types.

2) Yes, the applique armor (the added panels) were a factory and depot standard addition to the M4A1, but they didn't show up in combat until about 1944, so you are right in leaving them off your model. M4A1s in the Pacific, in North Africa and early in Italy didn't have the added armor. The ones from DDay on should have the full applique, but this is easily added from sheet plastic.

3) Your hull on the FoV chassis, look at the rear plate and the engine access door. The FoV has the single, small door of the M4A3, the 21C has the correct larger double door for the radial engines (M4 and M4A1).

4) mixed and matched - don't get carried away with the BS that is out there. US Army repair crews did some mix ' match, but the basically returned the tanks to spec or scrapped them for parts, they didn't invent new configurations in the field.

5) The M4A1 76mm would be interesting in 1:18 but it shares few parts with the 21C model. The 76s had the new upper hull, new transmission cover, the 76mm turret and a bunch of detail differences. That late hull was only used for a very few 75mm tanks and 99% of those went to become the US version of the Duplex Drive tank. For the M4A1 76mm about all you could really re-use from the 21C tank would be the lower hull pan, the lower rear plate, the figure, the MG and some tools.

For future ideas, you could look at the late hull M4 that was produced at the Detroit Tank Arsenal in 1943, these are the so-called "Hybrid" or "Composite hull" tanks that had a cast front on the upper hull with a welded rear. Early production had the "straight" driver's hatches, like your M4A1, but the most common used the "canted" larger hatches. These tanks are interesting because they look different and they saw interesting use. Some of the "composite" hull tanks went to the US Army in Europe (seen in the 6th Armored Div. in Normandy), a bunch went to the British/Canadian forces in Europe. For the British they served as 75mm gun tanks and many were upgraded to "Firelies" with the British 17-pounder AT gun. The "composite" M4s also went to the Pacific and show up in later campaigns such as the Phillipines and Okinawa both as gun tanks and with some converted to flamethrower tanks.

Another idea would be to look at using the Blue Box M4A3 hull to produce the late M4A3 "wet stowage" hulls. These do belong on the FoV chassis and were used with the 75mm guns, the 76mm guns in the later turret and the 105mm howitzers. All three versions were common in the Battle of the Bulge and the drive into Germany.

Gary the Shermanoholic

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:43 pm

pickelhaube, are you going to supply the driver and co-drivers hatches? I noticed on the FOV Sherman those hatches are molded in. Anybody using the FOV Sherman would need hatches.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:10 am

Yes I am .

That would come with the parts package that I am going to make seperate.

If you use the 21st Sheman you can pop everything off and reuse it. You probably can not save anything off of the FOV . So that is why I am making the parts package seperate.

The 21st Shermys are getting hard to find. You can still get the FOV Shermys at Target ect.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

WW2birdlover
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WW2birdlover » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:27 pm

That mod looks so nice! I wish I was allowed to buy from you (been only here for less than a month :(...)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Production is underway !!!!

I have made 4 of them so far and they are coming out great.

Price wise.

$80 for the 21st

$ 87 for the FOV because I need to make the front tranny case. If you can mod it yourself $ 80 as well.

$20 for the parts kit. There are over 20 parts in it :shock:

You can use your parts form the 21st model . The FOV you can not.

I am taking orders now !! :D :D :D

Thanks

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Pickel, great news on the Sherman!!! I've got an FOV Sherman I'd like to change over, I'll take one! I'll send a PM to make it official. 8)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:09 pm

All right Guys ,

If you guys are ready to order now is the time.

The production is wrapping up.

Time to move onto another project.

Thanks

pickelhaube

Re: 1/18 Scale M4A1 Hull Redo

Post by pickelhaube » Mon May 29, 2017 7:11 am

For those of you who missed out on the first M4A1 hull run.

Good news !!

As the mold making process continues with the Hind Project ,I am catching up on old orders.

Some of them dating back over a year . :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here is one, a guy wanted 6 x M4A1 hulls so I had to remake the mold .

So now I have a brand new mold.

This fits the 21st M4 with minor modification.

This is the hull only and you need ALL OF THE HARDWARE OFF OF THE 21ST M4.

During production I made a parts package and it was $25 extra ( no turret )

I HAVE NOT MADE THE PARTS PACKAGE .

M4A1 hull $80 plus shipping.

mikeg

Re: 1/18 Scale M4A1 Hull Redo After 7 Years !!

Post by mikeg » Mon May 29, 2017 2:37 pm

So which of your other, older customs do you still have available? any? This may require a long reply....or a really short one :( .

I've run out of 18th piston AC and tanks to buy.. do you still have a V-1 transporter available?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 pm

mikeg wrote:So which of your other, older customs do you still have available? any? This may require a long reply....or a really short one :( .

I've run out of 18th piston AC and tanks to buy.. do you still have a V-1 transporter available?
Of what I make only about half of the molds are good.

'
The best thing is to ask about what you want.

The V-1 dolly molds are in Very Good shape :wink:

AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by AJWW2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Does this new version still fit the FOV Sherman?
it be like dat

Eddy10440
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Eddy10440 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:45 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
mikeg wrote:So which of your other, older customs do you still have available? any? This may require a long reply....or a really short one :( .

Of what I make only about half of the molds are good.

'
The best thing is to ask about what you want.

:wink:

Hi Mathew

What about the following molds?

Jagdpanther kit
Indy's sidecar and wheels
Hanomag tarpaulin

And if they are still good, if I place an order now, How long will it take to get them done? In other words how long do I need to wait to could place an order?

I know you will be busy with the Hind project.

Thanks!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:36 am

AJWW2 wrote:Does this new version still fit the FOV Sherman?
Yes it does .

Hi Mathew

What about the following molds?

Jagdpanther kit
Indy's sidecar and wheels
Hanomag tarpaulin

And if they are still good, if I place an order now, How long will it take to get them done? In other words how long do I need to wait to could place an order?

I know you will be busy with the Hind project.

Thanks!

The Jagdpanther kit is still good but yes you may have a wait on this one

The Indy side car molds are not so good but I may have enough parts to make a kit

The Hano tarp molds are fine and this is a single pour molds so I can get this out sort of fast.

Eddy10440
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Eddy10440 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:11 am

Thanks Matthew!

PM sent

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi Matthew,
I sent the payment for the upper hull and will use this on the 21st Sherman, but, I believe that I will need a one piece transmission cover to replace the 3 piece Transmission cover. I believe that you may have made one for the FOV Sherman? I wonder if that is available and could be used in my instance? I also sent a PM regarding this a swell.
Thanks in advance!

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:19 pm

The M4A1 Cast hull that you sent arrived safe and sound. Many thanks Matthew!
Now it's off to the workbench to conversion!

Eddy10440
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Eddy10440 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:05 pm

mutt71 wrote:The M4A1 Cast hull that you sent arrived safe and sound. Many thanks Matthew!
Now it's off to the workbench to conversion!
Don't forget to post pictures when you done with it :D

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:50 pm

I certainly will! This may take me a little time to finish it up, so please be patient.

Eddy10440
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Eddy10440 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:57 am

mutt71 wrote:I certainly will! This may take me a little time to finish it up, so please be patient.
Of course, take your time buddy, all you need, I'm sure it will worth it

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence! LOL I'm off to go work on it some more right now.