"Tender Terror"

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

"Tender Terror"

Post by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:59 pm

I am wondering if you guys could help me. I am interested in locating a Tender Terror P51 mustang from 21 st century toys. This was my grandfather's plane in WWII. He recently passed away and it would mean alot to my family to have one of these. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

* TT ?

Post by MG-42 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:52 pm

* This was only offered through 21st. fan club thing. Buy like 14 Fw-190's , mail in the UPC's , and they'd send you a TT. They only made a few TT's , so they are rare. Unfortunately 21st.Century Toys are not in business anymore.

........... You have to be a member here for @ least 6-months , and even then I doubt , if anybody here's got one , would sell it for no le$$ than about $500.00 or more anyway.

* You might try eBaY from time to time though.

- MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:13 pm

MG-42 is right. I think only 30 or so were made. Only 3 or 4 of them have come up for sale on e-bay. I think that they even had a bogus one for sale .

Here is mine still in the box.

It is not for sale.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Plane Nuts
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Plane Nuts » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Including one that UPS managed to give away to someone in Las Vegas. Still chaps my <blank> to think about it...

cardenas
Corporal
Corporal

Post by cardenas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Fist of all, I'm sorry for your loss. As for the TT 21st Century plane I doubt you will find one for sale. So why don't you consider making one? or have someone do a custom build/paint for you?

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:14 am

Oh wow pickel that is beautiful. That's my grandmother on the side there. I'd love to show you a picture of his plane so you can see where it came from.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:05 am

Fierce1 wrote:Oh wow pickel that is beautiful. That's my grandmother on the side there. I'd love to show you a picture of his plane so you can see where it came from.
Man that is so cool !!!! I always thought that the Tender T was a fictional paint scheme.

Like I said there were about 30 plus made of them. The 3 or 4 sold were from board memebers .

I think probably all of them wished they would have kept theirs.

Zack who is the Pres of this forum and Jack of Skyworks are 2 of the guys who may be willing to make you a replica.

But this is dangerou waters. We have seen one bogus one already.

But the fact you have a personal link to the airplane may smooth those waters.

SGT. ODDBALL
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. ODDBALL » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:13 am

do you have any pics of your grandfather and his warbird?? again my condolences to you and your family.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:18 am

I wonder if ALL GO will re-release the Tender Terror?
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

MG-42

* TT ?

Post by MG-42 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:26 am

............ I doubt it very much. It was a plane made specifically for the contest.

* I can get me one of these but I just never cared for the paint scheme. + I don't even care of the collector aspect of it.

Last edited by MG-42 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:29 am

Stug45 wrote:I wonder if ALL GO will re-release the Tender Terror?

OMG :shock: :shock: :shock:

I shudder to think.

That would make all of the current Tender T's almost worthless. Except the Cert of A that goes with them.

Then all of the Tender T would only be worth that piece of paper.

This would be awful !!!!

MG-42

* TT ?

Post by MG-42 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:31 am

................ It was a plane made specifically for the contest.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:57 am

Last edited by grunt1 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:58 am

I noticed the Obituary online.
My condolences on your loss.

I would 2nd Candenas' post.
It would be less expensive for someone to customize a "Tender Terror" for you.
There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:08 am

Also if someone wanted to make one using a 1/32 P-51, here is a nice set of decals that includes the Tender Terror.

http://sandlehobbies.com/product.aspx?ID=57593

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mitch » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:33 am

If I had one...(which I don't :( ) I would almost just give it to the guy since it's his family.

SGT. ODDBALL
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. ODDBALL » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:37 am

Mitch wrote:If I had one...(which I don't :( ) I would almost just give it to the guy since it's his family.
i was thining the same exact thing bro.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:00 pm

I have an extra Old Crow that I purchased with the intent of making a Tender Terror for my own collection. I only have one custom under my belt and am currently working on another. So with some more practice it may become a posibility for me to make one. I know that if one became available that I would not be willing to shell out what it will take to own it.

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:32 am

Well it looks like grunt beat me to
it. That's my grandfather in the middle of the first photo. I appreciate some of your gestures. However I'm not looking for a hand out. I'm willing to buy it if there's anyone who wants to part with theirs or knows anyone. I was also trying to locate contact info for All-Go as well and see where that gets me. I understand how exclusive this is but it's obviously not the collectors value that I care about. My family had no idea this existed until the minister had brought it to our attention during his funeral speach. Thanks again guys

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:37 am

Fierce1 wrote:Well it looks like grunt beat me to
it. That's my grandfather in the middle of the first photo. I appreciate some of your gestures. However I'm not looking for a hand out. I'm willing to buy it if there's anyone who wants to part with theirs or knows anyone. I was also trying to locate contact info for All-Go as well and see where that gets me. I understand how exclusive this is but it's obviously not the collectors value that I care about. My family had no idea this existed until the minister had brought it to our attention during his funeral speach. Thanks again guys
Fierce, sorry for your loss and America's loss of a great WWII hero - they are a precious dwindling resource that future generations should all admire.
Not to open a "can of worms" but I thought 21st Century and all other manufacturers for that matter, had to get permission and even pay royalties to those whose names were used on models. Didn't Bud Anderson and Pappy Boyington's name/family get some sort of compensation or at least they gave permission to use their name? It seems strange that your family didn't get notified if they wanted to use your grandfather's name/likeness. I'm sure some of our members who are lawyers could enlighten me.
Not trying to stir things up, just curious.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:12 am

You know I had thought of that and
not only the few models made but all of the decals kits that have been produced. I'm not familiar with all of that legal stuff but there was never written consent that I'm aware of. I did email All-Go with my situation but I may have to find out more of this. My grandfather battled dementia for the past few years so can't imagine him saying okay to this. I do appreciate the fact that this was such a special model.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:43 am

Something to consider is there may be a difference between a paint scheme and retailing a model with a person's name. Pappy's Corsair had a name attached to it. This does not mean don't ask ... just something to consider while asking.

For example, the X-1 kit that is out now ... Chuck Yeager flew it ... does this mean that any paint version sold needs his permission? Perhaps only if somebody scrawls Glamorous Glennis would Yeager need to be contacted? Or is it once somebody bills their model/kit/decal set as "Chuck Yeager's X-1 Glamorous Glennis".

I would bet that the legal connection is to the family name and that the aircraft and all its nose art actually belongs to the public trust via the US Government's position on public ownership (government reports/photographs are owned by the people, not the government employees who write the reports/take the photos).

Many of the companies have permission for the basic aircraft design, but if they need to start getting permissions for paint schemes, we might end up with more hybrid or imaginary schemes.

That said, I do understand your desire to have one of these planes (my grandfathers were both WWII vets too, and I've asked both my grandmothers for their flags) ... I think it would be an awesome tribute to the many people who gave some or all for the rest of us for you to have a version of TT.

I hope you get a Tender Terror plane!

Plane Nuts
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Plane Nuts » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:51 pm

Chuck Yeager and some of the more renowned have taken steps to protect their names and likenesses and are extremely aggressive to either get compensated or stop the use. For instance, Yeager just last month sued Virgin America for a fairly innocuous tagline on a billboard, and was just interested in stopping the use of his name, not getting compensated.

But that's why you will never see Yeager's name (or Glamorous Glennis) on a commercial release model. And without the steps to register trademarks, names are fair game.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:57 pm

I doubt that All-Go will produce the Tender Terror. They will likely preserve the value of the 21C produced birds and rather select different schemes for the P-51D mold.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Plane Nuts wrote:Chuck Yeager and some of the more renowned have taken steps to protect their names and likenesses and are extremely aggressive to either get compensated or stop the use. For instance, Yeager just last month sued Virgin America for a fairly innocuous tagline on a billboard, and was just interested in stopping the use of his name, not getting compensated.

But that's why you will never see Yeager's name (or Glamorous Glennis) on a commercial release model. And without the steps to register trademarks, names are fair game.
Interesting. I understand the name, but nose art?

Does this include Glamorous Glennis as painted on the side of X-1 models?