Looking for Diaroma Materials

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Looking for Diaroma Materials

Post by INTREPER » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:01 pm

Hey guys, i've been in the mood to build a diorama for some time now and thought I would ask what some of the materials, aside from the toys, you used to make dioramas of your own. What do you use for landscaping, buildings, rubble, etc...

Post pics if you got 'em! Thanks :D

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:57 pm

FOR 1/18 ACCESSORIES OUR GOOD FRIEND MARK FROM 'BUILD-A-RAMA' HAS A GREAT RANGE & CAN BE SEEN ON THE BAD CAT SITE. I HAVE THEM ALL & THEY WORK A TREAT.

od1each
Corporal
Corporal

re: stuff

Post by od1each » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:24 pm

Guys are right, craft stores for just about anything, balsa wood cut to 2x4 size and flat stripes for boards, washed to look like aged wood, good old plaster of paris smashed into any size chunks you desire and painted.
Doll house stuff etc. use your imagination!! You'll find all kinds of stuff once you start lookin!

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

dio

Post by mediump » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:02 pm

don't forget the wonderfull things you can do with sculpey clay...anything from rocks sandbags brick walls,... pretty much anything

Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:25 pm

If you decide to go BIG, take a look at using interior doors as you base. Right now I have one almost finished (20" x 8') that I built the frame using 1x2" and a plywood top and am in the middle of a 30"x78" dioramma built atop an interior door left over from when they built my house. Although the custom built frame is nicer, the doors are alot easier and may end up being cheaper.

If you do go big, make sure you make the frame strong but light. If it isn't sturdy, it could start to come apart when you move it around. If you start getting into making terrain, pay attention to how much material your using. Even foam, if you use enough and cover it with plaster, can get pretty heavy before you know it.

Another tidbit. With big dios, make sure you build them as much as you can in a controlled climate. A few years back I built a train set in a garage in Utah in the winter. When I took it inside the temperature change warped the base material, and I had whole sections of landscaping delaminate.

And as Centone said, anything and everything to decorate. Especially take advantage of Michaels 40% off coupons.

TERZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TERZ » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:26 am

Centone, those are awesome links!

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:32 am

Here's a raw lay out of what I had in mind for my first dio: