Decals - Crash course on how to make and apply 'em

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Decals - Crash course on how to make and apply 'em

Post by tpa05 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey guys. I got the bright idea to build my 7-yr old son 1:18 scale aircraft and vehicles about 2 years ago when it got simply too expensive to get 'em at the store. Happy with the results so far. Decided to build some 1:18 aircraft for his birthday and am done with the fuselage but now I need markings. Long story short, are there any links on how to make your own decals and apply them (and hope they stay on for more than a week)?

Any link to any crash courses would be great. In panic mode here as his birthday is commin' up real fast.

Thanks.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:49 pm

I don't have a link but here is what I did. I downloaded a free graphics program (have since forgot the name and don't have that computer anymore). I created the graphics needed and test fit with regular paper. Purchased printable waterslide decal sheets and printed the graphics in color with the best setting turned on. when fully dry I coated with about four coats of rattle can clear. Again let dry (I think I let mine go for a week). Closely cut and apply using Micro Sol and Micro Set solutions to help the decals set into panel lines and curved features. When all done I used a modeling semi gloss clear over everything to take the shine off the decals and new paint. Just remember if your graphics need white to use white sheets and if not use clear. Always get enough sheets to run a test. If you have to use white sheets then you may have to darken the other colors to account for the light background. Here are a couple picture of the plane I painted and the decals I made.

Good luck and I know your son will be very happy....
Kris

I had to include a shot of the machine gun barrels that I made for the Spitfire. I was happy with the way they turned out. :D

Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

decals

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Kris:

I thought you got a canopy for that Spitfire? What happened to it?

Decals:

I made decals using a Vita Cal decal kit I found at hobbytown usa, though not all the stores carry it. You can also find it online. Making decals with is easy provided you follow the directions of the kit. It comes with everything you need, except for the graphics.

I made my decals by taking photos of the real plane's markings and then using a photo editor to trim cut out the background and make the background transparent. Then all I had left was the nose art, kill markings, etc. It worked well.

The main tip you want to do is follow the directions if you use the Vita Cal kit (basically the way Kris did his) and if you need something white, you have to print that on the white paper. Also the yellow printer ink is kind of funky and doesn't show up well on clear decal paper against dark backgrounds like olive green or black.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:11 pm

First many thanks again for the quick responses! I'll call Hobbytown in a bit and see if they have it. In the past when I did it (with mixed results) I simply used Corel Draw and a bunch of cut and paste. If there is in fact an application that takes tempates (allied/axis markings etc) then that's exactly what I need.

The one big question I have I guess is simply what get's put down as a "decal primer" and should I indeed wait the 4-7 days for it to set as you describe Buckyroo and if so how long between coats?

What's interesting is I'm using poster tubes (the tubes used to hold posters) for the fuselage, wood for the wings and PVC caps for the nose cone(s). Some I'm taking care to make look, well, kinda real while the others are being used as target practice with an airsoft gun.

I'll be using these models to test drive the building materials I'm using so am anxious to see how it turns out.

Sorry for the long reply and many thanks for the help as any suggestions are appreciated!

PS - you do realize Buckyroo you just added more work to my project with the incredible guns you put on your spitfire.

...and thank you!

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: decals

Post by Buckyroo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:Kris:

I thought you got a canopy for that Spitfire? What happened to it?

Corey
I did :D :D

These are earlier pictures before I got the canopy.

The Spitfire is currently a proud member of Man Cave Wall Air Force displayed in full glory with the canopy

SORRY, I WILL STOP NOW AND RETURN YOUR POST THE RIGHT TOPIC

MORE ABOUT DECALS....

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Kris can I mail you something? Anything. I just need your address. :wink:

Coreyeagle48

Decals

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Greetings:

Here are some photos of decals I made for a 1/32 B-25 (an old Aurora kit actually) to make it look like Briefing Time that is based nearby in Reading, PA.

I basically did what Kris did, all the decals were handmade except the star and bar markings, which came from my spare decal sheets. For national markings, you may want to try a hobby store, some of the markings they make for R/C planes are about the right size for our 1/18 birds. Most times they come in several sizes in one pack.

I put them on straight from the paper, no primer. I used the Vita Cal sheets and system and it worked really well. The only problem I had was the white lettering on the tail and the yellow serial number. They were too small to print on white and the colors didn't show up on the green plane. I ended up just painting them on the decal then applying the decal. The decal kit really made it easy. I did also clear coat over the decals to seal them and take away the edges. When these pictures were taken, I had not done that yet.

Any more questions just ask.

Corey

Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

YT

Post by YT » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:27 pm

This is the process I use for models. Get a glossy surface, I airbrush Future floor polish and let it dry. I lay down a coating of micro-set while the decal is soaking in warm water. I then set down the decal and when I get it situated I use a paper towel to dab up any excess moisture. After about 45 minutes I coat the decal with micro-sol and repeat until the decal has blended with the surface very well, don't mess with it after you apply the micro-sol until it has dried or your decal may disintegrate. The next day I coat the area again with Future to seal everything down and protect the decal. The following day I coat the area with Testors Modelmaster clear flat lacquer. Done.

stv9000
Corporal
Corporal

Post by stv9000 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 pm

Gloss is key when laying decals. I polish the area where the decal will go.
This way I don't loose any detail. Whenever using a set or sol position the decal quickly and don't touch it. It will wrinkle-up like a raisin but smooth out as it dries.
You may want to touch it but don’t do it. Once you over coat they will look painted on.

snake

Post by snake » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Nice looking Royal Navy [FAA] Corsair,buckyroo. :wink:

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 am

snake wrote:Nice looking Royal Navy [FAA] Corsair,buckyroo. :wink:
THANKS,

The real one was a mark V, but I had to have one with stars on it.

Kris

snake

Post by snake » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Buckyroo wrote:
snake wrote:Nice looking Royal Navy [FAA] Corsair,buckyroo. :wink:
THANKS,

Kris
The Corsair, Kris. :D

Airstrike Toys custom.

I have the same one,and love mine. 8)

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:56 pm

snake wrote:
Buckyroo wrote: THANKS,

Kris
The Corsair, Kris. :D

Airstrike Toys custom.

I have the same one,and love mine. 8)

I was always told that I needed to pay closer attention to detail.....
I was being all proud of the Spitfire and overlooked the obvious. My wife tells me all the time that I only hear what I want to and now I guess that goes for reading, too. :oops:

Kris

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:48 pm

These guys have got you going on the right path. The only thing I do differently is I go buy a 1/48 or 1/32 set of decals for the markings I want. I scan them into the computer and enlarge them to 1/18 and then print them on the decal paper. The rest of the process is the same as what the other members have said.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:39 pm

First to all of you that have offered help and suggestions let me say thanks as I appreciate the input. If there's anything else I might ask in terms of input it would be which software application might also help when making/fixing/creating decals. I thought about getting Corel Draw but that's incredibly expensive and is it indeed the best?

I've been looking forward to making the time to do this and to start by using good habits and methods. This is especially true if my son gets hooked (a dad can hope) and, if so, start him off on the right foot so that he doesn't become too frustrated as a result doing it the hard (and wrong) way.

Again, thanks for the help and keep it comming.

PS - Um, Buckyroo does the Man Cave have a window by any chance? Juss wunnerin'