JSI F14 this Saturday 12/05 @ Weekend of Hereos

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:16 am

Jeesh, that 109 looks like frickin crap! You would think that JSI would atleast make an effort to correct the canopy, the markings are incorrect and the paint is awful.. Whoever is doing their research needs to do A LOT more.. :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:28 am

The F-104 weathering does look nice, but that's because it's a master model(prototype)... as we now know from the F-14 that doesn't always account for the final finish.

Somehow they've managed to put the wings on upside down, as well as one of the wing tip tanks. What the hell????

This is a trade show right? Do they even know what they are selling? :?

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:33 am

The F-104 weathering does look nice, but that's because it's a master model(prototype)... as we now know from the F-14 that doesn't always account for the final finish.

Somehow they've managed to put the wings on upside down, as well as one of the wing tip tanks. What the hell????

This is a trade show right? Do they even know what they are selling? :?

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:50 am

The "eclectic" U.S. paratrooper figures they re-released a while ago (the 21st OMG set) should have clued Merit in as to what they could possibly expect from JSI:

http://www.js-int.net/soilder_60099A01.html

And, well, you can't make this up:

http://www.js-int.net/soilder_60097A06.html

Does it look like they know what they're selling?

MG-42

? ? ?

Post by MG-42 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:09 am

* That 2nd. figure "KoF" , was made to represent a Super Hero and left optional re-painting skills up to the buyer.

........... so yeah , I think they know what they're selling.

- Mitch v MG :hornet: :p51: :blueangel:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:32 am

I just noticed that on the JSI website, under products, if you look up the tomcat, it shows a beautiful gray scheme and in real small print, it states "Color scheme and style may vary" LOL!!! :lol:

http://www.js-int.net/airscraft_f14.html

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Nice pictures, really shows how out of scale the F-16 model is.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:55 pm

Please, please tell me that is a Special Edition model and not the regular production version!? These are the most eye opening pics yet of this spotted beast. Can't say it is similar to the F18 weathering anymore.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:01 pm

LOL @ spotted F-14. Silly JSI, you so funny.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:08 pm

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 pm

It looks like a feeble attempt at camouflage, that's the best way I can think of to describe it. If they had just highlighted the panel lines like the F-16 and F-18 in the above pics, it would have been just fine.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Oh, I just saw the "show" name printed on the side. Thank God, it is a special edition, so I can still be in denial about the possibility of the later production models being "toned down."
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Yes I must say from those pictures the F-14 model looks terrible. To bad, all that detail ruined by spots!
Paul Hebert

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 pm

I realize the Communist Chinese culture is "do what you're told" but you'd think even the guys and gals painting this thing would have taken a look after the first one and said "are you sure you want these dots on here?" :roll:

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:49 pm

realize the Communist Chinese culture is "do what you're told" but you'd think even the guys and gals painting this thing would have taken a look after the first one and said "are you sure you want these dots on here?"
I have to agree. The really perplexing thing about the spots is they are not representative of any F-14 anywhere, real or otherwise, and if they had simply looked at any of the multitude of good images of actual AC that are available from many different sources, or consulted anybody "in the know" from the scale modeling community, they would have instantly recognized that the spots were a really bad idea. Whoever made the decision to go with the spots must be having a serious DOH! moment right about now, and it could well be a costly one too, given the less than enthusiastic response we are seeing, it could seriously affect sales. That's the kind of effup that could cost somebody their job, or in China perhaps their life.... :shock:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

Post by forcerecon85 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Oh god. I spent so much money on it and it will look like that!?!?! It would almost cost the same amount of the aircraft to get it painted properly! I need some assurance that it's not the finished product, that it's just pictures before it's 100% done. How can they make it so good and then make the paint job so bad!? This better be a joke!

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:50 pm

I guess it is time for me to weigh in on the spots and other JSI topics
First off the F104 look horrible in person way too much weathering on it. If you look at a F104 sitting in the element for 30 years it won’t have that much weathering on it. Merit said it will not look like that in the final production.
Secondly the WOH special looks the same as the regular production F14
Thirdly the F14 spot do not look great BUT it still looks amazing. I have held and played with every 1/18 scale planes and by far this is breath taking in size and detail. Really a step up from the old stuff. Just lift up the nose cone and see for yourself or look at the instrument tubes on the side of the fuselage. Also the spots look better in person than on picture. (Mistake yes but death….NO WAY!) Look at the Black F18…. Man that was a dog for but now they are $300 or more ebay… I think the special F14 will hit $500 or more in a year
Finally and most importantly Merrit does not have a “tons left over from the show”. Keep in mind the WOH is a very very very small venue, like a thousand people attend at best. They sold very well for a crowd size that is equal to one of my family reunions.
Blackdragon and some other guys are supposed to post pictures of the plane.
Disclosure: this is only my opinion and these views do not represents those of the station or advertisers. Joking :lol:

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:10 pm

what do you mean, "Secondly the WOH special looks the same as the regular production F14 "

the regular production one doesn't have as dark 'weathering' from what we've been seen, and told

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:12 pm

I was going to ask the same thing. That second plane does not look nearly as bad as the one plane shown at WOH
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:29 pm

diegomenendez wrote:what do you mean, "Secondly the WOH special looks the same as the regular production F14 "

the regular production one doesn't have as dark 'weathering' from what we've been seen, and told
Chances are JSI didn't take any corrective action until after they were notified of the Spotgate fiasco by Merit, so only the last batch of the standard production run will have the spots somewhat muted. In any case, it is my understanding that Aviatornut was at AWH, so he would have seen both the standard and special edition planes side by side. He should know.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:34 pm

general hawk59 posted his pic at fighting118th.com

The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:45 pm

The outdoor picture is the best photo we've had for actual look of the plane.

The weathering wouldn't look that bad except they got carried away on the top and around the back of the cockpit area. The idea was a good one, they just went entirely overboard with it. A little weather on the bottom like the BBI F-18's and around the panel lines would have been ideal.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Kind of reminds me of a railroad boxcar with lots of graffiti on it. Maybe JSI was modeling a Tomcat that was on display for years outdoors, and vandals had their way with spray cans...... :D
Paul Hebert

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:08 pm

Sabrefan wrote:Kind of reminds me of a railroad boxcar with lots of graffiti on it. Maybe JSI was modeling a Tomcat that was on display for years outdoors, and vandals had their way with spray cans...... :D
:lol: :lol:
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.