F-14 Purchasing Poll

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

No need to rehash the other threads here. Just post what you’re doing.

Poll ended at Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:05 pm

I do not have a pre-order and am very pleased with the plane. I will buy it someday.
40%
I have not pre-ordered it yet and am completely disappointed in this plane. I will not buy it.
13%
I have a pre-order and am not happy with the plane but I’m still buying it.
18%
I have a pre-order and am so upset I will cancel my order.
8%
I have not ordered yet and will wait for the next version in hopes it will be better.
No votes
I have a pre-order and am not happy with the plane. I’m still buying it but I’m reserving the right to return it if it’s totally awful.
23%

Total votes: 40

toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

F-14 Purchasing Poll

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:05 pm

It’s a slow day today so I started thinking how many people are so upset with the new Tom Cat that they are not buying it or will be waiting etc. Personally I am still getting one but am not happy with the paint. If it’s completely terrible it will go back but I’m hoping it will be fine.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:17 pm

I have a pre-order and I'm Happy with it, your poll doesn't mention that so I didn't vote.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Good point JE,
Hey toy, can you add that option into the poll?

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Jericoeagle1 wrote:I have a pre-order and I'm Happy with it, your poll doesn't mention that so I didn't vote.
QTFT.

I'm really sick and tired of hearing the whinning, no wonder the companies don't pay attention to us anymore. They probably get tired of it.

I don't care if this thing had NO PAINT!, or painted like a damn garden hose. I'd be buying it. Everyone's afraid of the scale dying, but when its time to put the money where there mouth as been, they start picking stuff apart. It's getting OLD and FAST.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Im with the other Washington guys :D

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:22 pm

I could probably throw a rock and hit you KWR! :lol:

My F-14? Bought and paid for, not returning it.
Last edited by NWarty on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:23 pm

Jericoeagle1 wrote:I have a pre-order and I'm Happy with it, your poll doesn't mention that so I didn't vote.
Same here, please add that option.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:25 pm

NWarty wrote:I could probably throw a rock and hit you KWR! :lol:

My F-14? Bought and paid for, not returning it.
Same here, in fact as I look out my window. I think I can see you two.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:30 pm

LOL!

Hey it was nice going into Blitz Hobbies the other day and seeing all the 21C stuff hanging from the ceiling. Gentleman who works there and I had a long conversation about 1/18, the Tomcat, Roy Sutherland, etc.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm

NWarty wrote:LOL!

Hey it was nice going into Blitz Hobbies the other day and seeing all the 21C stuff hanging from the ceiling. Gentleman who works there and I had a long conversation about 1/18, the Tomcat, Roy Sutherland, etc.
Yea, those! Your talking about Rob. Those are the extras from my collection in there. When they opened I offered them to him to help drum in business. Robs a great guy and a fantastic modeler.
Last edited by Jericoeagle1 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm

I can’t edit the poll. If you’re happy with it select the first one. The end result is the same. You’re buying it and you're happy! :wink:

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:42 pm

Then you're the guy he mentioned! Rob said that a gentleman had donated some planes to the store. Too funny!

I need to swing in there next week and look at that 1/24 MPC (Airfix) Spitfire I kit again. Rob had two MPC kits in there I hadn't seen in 25 years. I also remember the woman (can't remember her name) but she worked at the Fort Lewis mini-mall store for awhile and recognized me when I came into the store wearing my ACU's.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Ive preordered a standard version and soon a special edition and cant wait!! Wont know if I am or am not happy with it until it arrives but wont be returning it no matter what. I need my 1:18 fix and I think this is going to be it! :D (will hold off on poll until an option matches my actions :wink:

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:45 pm

That's Lisa the owners wife. I told Rob when I get the F-14 I'd bring it in for him to see. He's on the fence about getting one if I remember right. Hopefully that will be in the next two weeks.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:49 pm

Cool!

Nice little hobby shop, friendly and really enjoyed going there. After the Tumwater Hobby Shop fiasco, it's nice to have a plastics-only shop in town and I can get my R/C fix over at RC Hobbies on Martin. I was lucky enough to make it to American Eagles when working in Seattle a couple of months ago. Too bad they aren't in Tacoma anymore. :(

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:53 pm

It’s just a little poll so see what the majority of people here are planning on doing. :wink: Sorry I couldn’t think of every possible scenario that might be out there. If there is a selection that closely matches your feelings then select it. I was just hoping to see how many people will be canceling orders over this vs. how many are still buying.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:12 pm

CW4USARMY wrote:Ive preordered a standard version and soon a special edition and cant wait!! Wont know if I am or am not happy with it until it arrives but wont be returning it no matter what. I need my 1:18 fix and I think this is going to be it! :D (will hold off on poll until an option matches my actions :wink:
ditto that i already pay my special one and is will order a regular

come on baby
whats up doc....

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:05 pm

Where's the "Have a preorder and am happy with the plane" option :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:20 pm

my choice wasn't quite there. I have a pre-order and will cancel it if the spots turn out to be as bad as in the few photos we've seen; pending reviews by people who will get theirs before i do.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:24 pm

Ok, where's the "I ordered a garden hose with spots all over it and all I got was this lousy 1:18 scale F-14?" :P :wink:

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Option G: I don't have it preordered, have no intention of buying it. I have no problem with the plane, just not interested. Bring on the next vehicle!
I Tan I Epi Tas

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:
QTFT.

I'm really sick and tired of hearing the whinning, no wonder the companies don't pay attention to us anymore. They probably get tired of it.

I don't care if this thing had NO PAINT!, or painted like a damn garden hose. I'd be buying it. Everyone's afraid of the scale dying, but when its time to put the money where there mouth as been, they start picking stuff apart. It's getting OLD and FAST.
That pretty much says it all for me.
I fly cartoon airplanes

snake

Post by snake » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:12 pm

I have two on pre order,and plan on keeping them both.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:54 pm

"I'm really sick and tired of hearing the whinning, no wonder the companies don't pay attention to us anymore. They probably get tired of it.

I don't care if this thing had NO PAINT!, or painted like a damn garden hose. I'd be buying it. Everyone's afraid of the scale dying, but when its time to put the money where there mouth as been, they start picking stuff apart. It's getting OLD and FAST."

-------------------------------------------------------------

I gotta be honest in saying i'm not too impressed with this 'scolding'. I don't want the scale to die either but i have no intention of laying down a LOT of money for something that looks ridiculous, just cause it's 1/18 scale. If the spots don't worry you fine...buy your fill of them. But they are hardly trivial or insignificant. They are huge dark spots all over an otherwise very nice plane.

And to brush of ligitimate criticism as 'whining' is condescending beyond words. Not sure about you but $200 is a lot of money to me and i think it is not unreasonable to expect a decent paint job for that kind of money. This is a farce. Huge dark grey spots all over it. They are going to look ridiculous in person and once the initial burst of enthusiasm wears off thsoe spots are going to look worse and worse as time goes on.

These justifications for the spots being okay reminds me of the arguments smokers use in defending their habit. Defending the indefensible because they're desperate. Those spots are bad. And are not going to be easy to get rid of even by skilled modellers, as they are over top of the markings as well. They can't be brushed away, they'll have to be painted over. Matching the base paint colour will be a bear so the best solution will be to add weathering over top to hide them; but since they are ALL over the ENTIRE aircraft that will be an enormous undertaking and leave it looking like it's been through WWIII.

Those spots are ugly, make no sense and absolutely never should have happened at this price point or any price point, for that matter.

And if i hear one more person brush off these VERY ligitimate criticisms about the spots as 'whining', i think i may have their IP blocked.

If you can live with the spots, cool for you. But they are miles and miles from being a trivial issue.

(just kidding about the IP block thing).
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:45 pm

But how can anyone say a R/C foamie is any better than the detail on this. I don't recall R/C foamies having panel lines and that sort of thing.

And the BBI F-18 has the same spots, just not on the top. And some of the CF-18's I've seen at airshows have similar weather patterns, especially on the sides of the plane, not so much on the top though.

I think they are more pronounced because this is a light colored aircraft. Same way if you get a light colored car compared to a red car, the dirt is a lot easier to see on a white car.

If this was a low viz scheme it might look more acceptable. It's very hard to compare, any jet I've seen with lots of weathering these days is painted low viz
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube