JSI F-4 Phantom II Wishlist

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

JSI F-4 Phantom II Wishlist

Post by Shin Densetsu » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:44 pm

The F-4 Phantom II has been in demand for years in 1/18 scale. We've had the carrot dangled in front of us by both 21st Century Toys and Admiral Toys.

Now the only company that seems to have a shot at it is JSI. It is also an aircraft that they know fans want.

So with that said, which specific F-4 variants would you like to see? Which squadrons? Which specific paint schemes. For examples, squadrons such as VF-96 and the VF-51 Screaming Eagles had several paint schemes.

Here are the ones I'd like to see:
  • VF-96 Showtime 100 F-4J
  • VF-111 Sundowners
  • VF-84 Jolly Rogers F-4B
  • F-4E SEA Camo
  • F-4G Wild Weasel from Desert Storm
  • JASDF 50th Anniversary F-4EJ
There are dozens more that everyone would like to see, so post them here!
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:29 pm

I'd rather see the A-10 before the F-4. Goes better with the theme JSI has going. We've been given the F-16, the F-18, now the F-14, and we should be getting the F-15. The A-10 Warthog is needed to round out this era of US air power. Plus it's been in demand by collectors for a long time too.

An F-4 would be nice. SEA Camo only for me though... :wink: :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:08 pm

I agree A-10 first, buy I'd like to see an F-4 as well. Personally I'd like to see an F-4E made, but some of the ones mentioned are nice too.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:27 am

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:50 am

if the f-14 sells well i would say both are likely some day. If JSI is entertaining doing an su-27 then they should be just as open to an f-4 and a-10.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:13 am

A-10 before F-4, Su-27 before A-10, something rotary wing before Su-27.

I wouldn't consider putting money down on a non-camo Phantom. I don't care about squadron specifics.
I Tan I Epi Tas

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:05 am

If any F-4's are done, they should do the vietnam F-4's Air Force F-4C/D and the F-4E, for Navy and marines teh F-4J. then do the wild weasel version of desert storm F-4G.

What we need is a theme..like vietnam era aircraft series

Korean war, post Korea Cold war, 1970's cold war 1980's cold war, Desert storm I and II1990's Balkans I don't mean it has to be named like that but something to put them categories.
also like Grand attack, air superiority ie interceptor.
Last edited by VMF115 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:21 am

The A-10 needs to be first, of all planes that collector's want, i think it is the one plane that unite them the most... for now.
Best,
-Paul

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:34 am

paulpratt wrote:The A-10 needs to be first, of all planes that collector's want, i think it is the one plane that unite them the most... for now.
the only way I would buy an a-10 is if it had working flaps and air brakes in the wing ie all flight controls, along with a removable Avenger canon, and a full ordnance. icing on the cake would be a detailed access panel for the jet engines and removable panels to show battle damage.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:41 am

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/a10reviewta_1.htm

I want one with all the features of a trumpeter 1/32 "smaller scale" in the 1/18th scale..and yes I want a nA-10 too. I also want a Mig-29A

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:00 am

One thing would be to make the F-4 ace's: Cunningham's F-4J, Robin Olds F-4C, Steve" Ritchie F-4D.

also needed is the MiG 17, 19 and the MiG 21.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:10 am

VMF115 wrote:
the only way I would buy an a-10 is if it had working flaps and air brakes in the wing ie all flight controls, along with a removable Avenger canon, and a full ordnance. icing on the cake would be a detailed access panel for the jet engines and removable panels to show battle damage.
All we need is an A-10 with the same detail level as their F-14. What is so special about having all those intricate details on the A-10? No one seems to care about it on the F-14 or that they will be on the F-15 and Su-27. Let's not start dicouraging JSI from making something over details that we overlook with other subjects.

If they were to make an A-10 with the F-14's detail level, you know you would buy one and so would everyone that has ever wanted one... :wink: :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:22 am

Birddog wrote:
VMF115 wrote:
All we need is an A-10 with the same detail level as their F-14. What is so special about having all those intricate details on the A-10? No one seems to care about it on the F-14 or that they will be on the F-15 and Su-27. Let's not start dicouraging JSI from making something over details that we overlook with other subjects.
There is no need for that extraneous stuff, it just adds to the cost, development time and is another piece to break/lose/get left off during the manufacturing process.
I Tan I Epi Tas

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:25 am

Ta-152 wrote:
Birddog wrote: All we need is an A-10 with the same detail level as their F-14. What is so special about having all those intricate details on the A-10? No one seems to care about it on the F-14 or that they will be on the F-15 and Su-27. Let's not start dicouraging JSI from making something over details that we overlook with other subjects.
There is no need for that extraneous stuff, it just adds to the cost, development time and is another piece to break/lose/get left off during the manufacturing process.
Exactly.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:41 am

Big is cool and looks cool hanging but what about the guy who like to display it, with opened panels and such? the biggest turn off for most I have found out is the lack of detail and accuracy problems. are these toys or are they display models well I think once you get past the 150 dollar mark you are headed in the display model territory where the buyers are going to expect the detail. Now if the make one for under 150 dollar I say give me the striped down plan Jane version but not for 200+ bucks I better be getting some detail... to me it looks like JSI is trying to woo the collector and charge collector prices.

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:51 am

If i wanted to pay over 300 on a consistent basis for a hobby i'd take up R/C or collecting WWII German medals.

And don't try to fool yourself into thinking that it wouldn't cost that much for all the inane minutiae you're asking for.

I really depends on if you're a rivet counter or not. I'm not, but if i was i'd probably take up model building.

I certainly don't think the Super Cobra benefited from the panels it had, especially given the lack of details they revealed.
I Tan I Epi Tas

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:00 am

VMF115 wrote:Big is cool and looks cool hanging but what about the guy who like to display it, with opened panels and such? the biggest turn off for most I have found out is the lack of detail and accuracy problems. are these toys or are they display models well I think once you get past the 150 dollar mark you are headed in the display model territory where the buyers are going to expect the detail. Now if the make one for under 150 dollar I say give me the striped down plan Jane version but not for 200+ bucks I better be getting some detail... to me it looks like JSI is trying to woo the collector and charge collector prices.
If you bought JSI's F-14, I don't think you should be making these comments......if you didn't buy one, well I guess that's your loss.

From what has evidently been going on with F-14 sales, there doesn't seem to be that many collectors that are turned off with the detail it has. If JSI did include these details, great, but if they don't, I doubt it will greatly affect their sales.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:09 am

Ta-152 wrote:If i wanted to pay over 300 on a consistent basis for a hobby i'd take up R/C or collecting WWII German medals.

And don't try to fool yourself into thinking that it wouldn't cost that much for all the inane minutiae you're asking for.

I really depends on if you're a rivet counter or not. I'm not, but if i was i'd probably take up model building.

I certainly don't think the Super Cobra benefited from the panels it had, especially given the lack of details they revealed.
well it looks like we are headed there for 1/18th aircraft, we have sky works that offers a nice selection of a/c with no extra features that I Would not buy, and we have JSI offering us a tomcat for 224. I think its a stretch for what the detail " I love the landing gear on this tomcat" is but I am biting on this one, and will get it. if they go any higher in price they will better have more detail or the customer will simply say... I Could get a gut to do a real nice customer for me with a trumpeter 1/32 scale model.

Your argument might have been true for the old 40 bucks a plane at WM but today we are talking over 200 bucks. maybe more if inflation kicks in next year. which will kill this hobby and just about every other hobbyist in America.

Bad cat has it listed for 230 list price and at least 30 for shipping..thats almost 300. bucks right there.

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:24 am

You really can't compare after-market mods done on a very small scale to those of company doing mass production. JSI may not be turning out 5,000-10,000 F-14s, but they are certainly turning out far more than Skyworks is converted Fw-190s.

They aren't, however, doing intricate paint jobs by hand. I almost guarantee it takes more man hours to do a Skyworks plane than it will that F-14. I'm not saying this makes Skyworks' product worth their asking price, simply pointing out that comparing them and JSI is folly.

There's a point when these cease becoming a great item to uses with your Joes (Yes, some of us do that, deal with it), that you can pick up and tinker with and pieces that need to stay in a display case because they decided to replicate every tiny piece at scale and now a strong breeze will break something.

Bad Cat is generally the higher end of the retail scale, so bringing them up is moot.

Maybe i just can't see your pov because i'm apathetic about the subject matter.
I Tan I Epi Tas

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:35 am

I am not saying replicate every thing on the plane. just enough to give it an appearance.. as the price point rise and the level of detail. does not keep up it will be the nails in the coffin for the hobby

As for now the only two companies making anything 1/18th aircraft are sky works and JSI. every one else is taking a break or gone out of business.

My POV is this years ago when I came on this board I wanted more detail for the current price...which was $40 for Small single engine 1/18th a/c- $80-90 for the avenger and me-262. now we have Jumped the Shark in price and now paying over 200. Plus shipping. And guess what no pilots LOL

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:07 am

Ta-152 wrote:You really can't compare after-market mods done on a very small scale to those of company doing mass production. JSI may not be turning out 5,000-10,000 F-14s, but they are certainly turning out far more than Skyworks is converted Fw-190s.

They aren't, however, doing intricate paint jobs by hand. I almost guarantee it takes more man hours to do a Skyworks plane than it will that F-14. I'm not saying this makes Skyworks' product worth their asking price, simply pointing out that comparing them and JSI is folly.
That's the truth.
VMF115 wrote:I am not saying replicate every thing on the plane. just enough to give it an appearance.. as the price point rise and the level of detail. does not keep up it will be the nails in the coffin for the hobby

As for now the only two companies making anything 1/18th aircraft are sky works and JSI. every one else is taking a break or gone out of business.

My POV is this years ago when I came on this board I wanted more detail for the current price...which was $40 for Small single engine 1/18th a/c- $80-90 for the avenger and me-262. now we have Jumped the Shark in price and now paying over 200. Plus shipping. And guess what no pilots LOL
I don't think the Shark has been jumped on picing at all. We are talking about an aircraft twice the size of any 1/18 WWII subject that has been produced with pretty much the same detail and more complexity. It's not being sold in mass at brick and mortar stores either which I feel you are turning a blind eye to. JSI isn't makeing thousands of the F-14 to fulfill a brick and mortar contract like 21st did.

And don't worry about the pilots, I think JSI is working to correct that. Maybe not in the next few releases, but I'm willing to bet the F-15, Su-27, and any other future new aircraft releases will have them.... :D

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about an A-10 with the same level of detail as the F-14 costing more. I'm very sure that it can be done for the same price point if not less....and I'm sure it will have a pilot..... :wink: :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Discouraging? Who says JSI hasn't already thought of going further? They've said that the Tomcat will not be their best model. They learn with each release and strive to outdo themselves with each successive model.

As awesome as the Tomcat is likely to turn out, future models might turn out better.

Also, EVERYONE, JSI included, already knows you guys want the Warthog, so it's useless to derail this thread into a Warthog fan fest. The only thing they share in common is that they are in demand.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:40 pm

Shin, Shin, Shin you ought to know by now every time you mention something in 1/18th that is an ac that is not the A-10....it will be hijacked into an A-10 love fest...there is no way to fight it...you just have to go with the flow...LOL I may self would like to see all the major US aircraft fighters and fighter bombers from post Korea to present day excluding the really big Bird with in reason, I also want to See a whole slew of Russian aircraft designs as well.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Shin Densetsu wrote:
Discouraging? Who says JSI hasn't already thought of going further? They've said that the Tomcat will not be their best model. They learn with each release and strive to outdo themselves with each successive model.

As awesome as the Tomcat is likely to turn out, future models might turn out better.

Also, EVERYONE, JSI included, already knows you guys want the Warthog, so it's useless to derail this thread into a Warthog fan fest. The only thing they share in common is that they are in demand.
Who says they have? We'll have to wait and see what they do.

I'm not saying it won't be welcome if they do more detail, I'm saying don't push them to do more detail unless you are willing to pay the price it will cost. I think JSI will improve their models as they go forward. We have to remember though that when people are only willing to pay a certain price, there is a maximum detail level that can be achieved in that price range. Every aircraft is different and some can not have the detial level that others have due to the complexity of adding the detail coupled with the aircraft size. Better to have one with the basic detail areas that everyone across the board expects as a minimum on all 1/18 scale subjects, than to not have one at all.

It's good to hear that you believe JSI knows WE want an A-10 in 1/18 scale. I guess WE will believe it when we see it. With what is developing so for though, it is looking very good in my opinion.... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:57 pm

the point is to Growwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww the hobby and to get new people to buy it...you need something other then the Big WOW factor...once it sets in that a 1/48 scale aircraft has the same level of detail..the magic is gone. and for the money that they are going for you need more of a wow factor. you may be happy with the level of detail but there are many that toss there nose up them because of one thing lack of detail. I Agree that since this is JSI first offering that the other will get better, just like 21st. and I hope JSI does well! 8)

I think this is more of a POV discussion more then anything. also remember this is not the good ole 40 bucks WM days we are talking car payment kind of money here. you have to WOW people to spend that kind of money, to get them to fork it over and over.