POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
F14tomcat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F14tomcat » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:50 am

Can someone tell me what are the difference between the limited editon 60007 and the production one 60023? Is there any difference in the packaging box color? My version is 60023 and the box is black. thanks.

STUKA
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by STUKA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:35 am

Im still holding out - but are the planes being currently sold updated and fixed planes? or do they still have the weak landing gear - dosnt make sense for JSI to keep sending out planes only to keep paying for customer complaints - Ill get a new F-14 when the quality issues are fixed - if the price goes up - then forget it.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:40 pm

STUKA wrote:Im still holding out - but are the planes being currently sold updated and fixed planes? or do they still have the weak landing gear - dosnt make sense for JSI to keep sending out planes only to keep paying for customer complaints - Ill get a new F-14 when the quality issues are fixed - if the price goes up - then forget it.
There has only been one production run of the JSI F14 up to this point somewhere around 3500 to 4000 produced worldwide with about 200 or 250 of these being special editions with LED lights in the cockpit and some nav lights. Many of this original run are still on shelves and in stock at retailers. My local hobby shop even has 2 or 3 still sitting on its shelves.
This is most likely due to the horrendous paint job and quality control problems with the landing gear and other parts of the bird that came broken in the box.
You will most likely be able to purchase these in the future at discounted prices or on clearance as they don't seem to be selling out.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

pcoughran wrote:
STUKA wrote:Im still holding out - but are the planes being currently sold updated and fixed planes? or do they still have the weak landing gear - dosnt make sense for JSI to keep sending out planes only to keep paying for customer complaints - Ill get a new F-14 when the quality issues are fixed - if the price goes up - then forget it.
There has only been one production run of the JSI F14 up to this point somewhere around 3500 to 4000 produced worldwide with about 200 or 250 of these being special editions with LED lights in the cockpit and some nav lights. Many of this original run are still on shelves and in stock at retailers. My local hobby shop even has 2 or 3 still sitting on its shelves.
This is most likely due to the horrendous paint job and quality control problems with the landing gear and other parts of the bird that came broken in the box.
You will most likely be able to purchase these in the future at discounted prices or on clearance as they don't seem to be selling out.
Don't forget, you cannot get replacement parts with ease. Even if you want to pay for them and the shipping. I am still hoping to get a new canopy and and front fuselage piece with no luck at all. I may just as well throw the freaking plane away as it is just sitting on a shelf waiting for someone else to break theirs or by some chance get that piece from Merit or JSI. I would have paid up to $100 shipped but no one seems to have that front piece available.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:34 am

tkjaer21 wrote:
pcoughran wrote: There has only been one production run of the JSI F14 up to this point somewhere around 3500 to 4000 produced worldwide with about 200 or 250 of these being special editions with LED lights in the cockpit and some nav lights. Many of this original run are still on shelves and in stock at retailers. My local hobby shop even has 2 or 3 still sitting on its shelves.
Don't forget, you cannot get replacement parts with ease. Even if you want to pay for them and the shipping. I am still hoping to get a new canopy and and front fuselage piece with no luck at all. I may just as well throw the freaking plane away as it is just sitting on a shelf waiting for someone else to break theirs or by some chance get that piece from Merit or JSI. I would have paid up to $100 shipped but no one seems to have that front piece available.
whoah!! Your plane came damaged? and you would have had to pay $100+ to get the fixed piece? Looks Like I'm waiting for Clearance prices. Which isnt to unrealistic. The only item I have paid full price for was the 88. That was because I feared they would be gone quickly

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:35 am

tkjaer21 wrote:
pcoughran wrote: There has only been one production run of the JSI F14 up to this point somewhere around 3500 to 4000 produced worldwide with about 200 or 250 of these being special editions with LED lights in the cockpit and some nav lights. Many of this original run are still on shelves and in stock at retailers. My local hobby shop even has 2 or 3 still sitting on its shelves.
whoah!! Your plane came damaged? and you would have had to pay $100+ to get the fixed piece? Looks Like I'm waiting for Clearance prices. Which isnt to unrealistic. The only item I have paid full price for was the 88. That was because I feared they would be gone quickly

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:52 am

My plane was fine when I received it apart from the front landing gear.

The forward fuselage fell off of a tale both the canopy and plastic front fuselage shell cracked. The antenna things broke off as well. The only thing that is salvageable is the cockpit which took no beating at all.

I would pay for the shipping and part itself, but no one nor Merit or JSI has any parts which is ridiculous. That is why I ranted. An expensive product like this should have replacement parts. That is the point. Especially if the customer is willing to buy them as there is no warranty.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:16 am

unless dropped, kicked, shot at, or thrown from a lawnmower, shouldn't these parts not fall off?
I understand antenna breakage - they have a mind of their own
but the foward fuselage falling off is what I's call, at least, a minor defect. :x

ahh it looks like you meant to type table? not tale.

well at least it wasn't a horrible tricycle incident :?

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 am

Maybe it's premature to ask until they've actually been released, but any opinions on the upcoming Skyworks engine nozzles and main gear? Worthwhile to add to your F-14, or are the OEM parts good enough?

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:40 am

This is the 1st time I have heard of Skyworks Toys making the F110 engine nozzles, just went on their site and saw them too, they look great! Any idea on cost? Also, have more members here tried the reworked landing gears that they offer?
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am

Shin Densetsu wrote:This is the 1st time I have heard of Skyworks Toys making the F110 engine nozzles, just went on their site and saw them too, they look great! Any idea on cost? Also, have more members here tried the reworked landing gears that they offer?
They will nor be available until May...late may, Bad cat and MTS has them up for pre order.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:09 pm

VMF115 wrote:
Shin Densetsu wrote:This is the 1st time I have heard of Skyworks Toys making the F110 engine nozzles, just went on their site and saw them too, they look great! Any idea on cost? Also, have more members here tried the reworked landing gears that they offer?
They will nor be available until May...late may, Bad cat and MTS has them up for pre order.
Thanks for the heads up, just saw that.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:00 pm

The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:07 pm

I think the paint crews where not wearing there ventilate masks when they painted the VF-101...and they did not use semi gloss sealer on the 150 decal on the nose ether...
Jeezs..Amateurs... :lol:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 am

anyone know how to do a digital camo blue dark blue and white
whats up doc....

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Look, this may have been posted somewhere in the past, and I remember many complaints about the JSI F14 canopy not staying open on its own, however...By complete accident & out of sheer frustration, I opened my F14 canopy, with one hand, as far as I was brave enough to raise it, and with one finger on the other hand I pushed the vertical white bar back until it stayed in place - Now my F14 canopy stays open!
I tried the same technique on my 2nd F14 and to my surprise it worked as well! Now both my F14 canopys stay open on their own and, yes, you can close them back just as easy by reversing the procedure.
And, if you guys already knew this, then all I can say is why didn't someone tell me? :D

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:56 am

Unfortunately I tried it on my Cat more times than I can count with no luck.

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Well, sorry it didn't work...Before I was able to get it to stay open on its own, I used a small nail, right next to the vertical pin, to hold it open.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Interesting that BadCat has the JSI F-14 back in stock.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:05 am

whats up doc....

Black_Dragon_One

b

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:07 am

whats up doc....

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:18 am

Stumbled onto this thread and couldn't believe me eyes, 40+ pages talking about spots ..... REALLY, WTF guys !!??
I was just as upset when I received my S1 version but not 40 pages worth. Should the Tomcat have arrived with a better finish, YES. Should the Tomcat have arrived not damaged, YES. Should the landing gear have been able to support the jet, YES. All valled points, I get it. When you spend $200.00+ for something it should arrive in good shape and without issues. I look at it this way, it was their first attempt at this and overall it wasn't really that bad. With all the pissing and moaning I'm really surprised they decided to even do a second version ! The S2 version (VF-154) was finished much better and it wasn't just a new paint scheme it was a "BOMBCAT" version with some new items to go with it. Instead of bitching and complaining I for one was very pleased with their second attempt. I felt like they had gotten it right this time. I was also hoping that maybe JSI would do a B and D model down the line. I doubt that will ever happen now.
Looking back I kind of have to thank JSI for screwing up the paint on the S1 version in a way. I am currently in the middle of my B model conversion and when finished I'll have 2 of my 3 Tomcats from my wish list.
The bottom line here is we have not one but two 1/18th scale Tomcats available to us, be happy about that, I am. I'm a huge Tomcat fan and love both of mine. Just my thoughts ....

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:53 am

Steve,

First I need to tell you what a great job you are doing with your Tomcat, I find it very inspiring. As far as what people say about the Tomcat and all of it's short comings this is a forum and people need to discuss these problems. These discussions prompt others to come up with solutions. Through this forum I was able to do an easy fix to resolve the "Spot Cat" problem, I bought metal landing gear to fix the weak ones and I located a pilot and RIO to fill the seats. It serves a purpose and I find these forums helpful, just like I find your post helpful when it comes to upgrading my Tomcat in the future. Just my two cents.

Rudy

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks for the kind words Rudy, much appreciated.

I hear what you are saying but, in my opinion, 40 + pages was a bit much on the same gripe / complaint. Some of them were quite comical and someone said that this thread was like a soap opera, that gave me a good chuckle as well.
The forums are very helpful with people exchanging ideas and solutions and I am thankful for that. What I don't need to hear, for 40 plus pages, is how terrible the S1's finish was. Myself, along with others on this site, would love to see other modern 1/18th jets in the future but, with all the negative feedback that's not going to help.
I know the Harrier is being released, in a kit form as well ( very smart move IMO ), and hopefully does well so they will consider making others. I myself am hoping to see an F-15E soon, fingers crossed. I guess what I am trying to say is be thankful that we are getting something as opposed to nothing that's all.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 am

I'm with you on that Steve, I myself have 3 and 3/4 F-14's including the Bombcat version (the 3/4 Tomcat is missing the forward fuselage because of the Skyworks fiasco). I really like the F-14's and have future plans for a repaint on one of them. I cannot complain about any of the 1/18 scale aircraft I have because like you I feel at this point anything released in 1/18th is a huge plus. I have had a few discussions with Jim from Merit about the future of 1/18th scale and the best way to sum up his answers is to say, "It depends." There are a lot of factors that come into play as far as the future of 1/18th scale, and I see your point about some of the comments hurting as oppose to helping. All valid points. Looking back on your first comment I have to side with you 40+ pages is a lot, but again it's a forum (I think you and I just added a page). Lets keep our fingers crossed that the future is good to us. Looking forward to watching the progress on your "B" version.

Rudy