POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:53 pm

CessnaDriver wrote:
iflabs wrote:Is the main body of the F-14 shaped correctly? For some odd reason, when the wings are swept all the way back, it looks off.
Do you mean all the way back until they stop? That is not a flight configuration and it will look a bit funny like that.

Move them forward from that position so that the leading edge of the moveable wing is lined up straight with the leading edge ahead of the pivot point of the wing.

All the way back is for maximizing space on the carrier.
Yes.

Ok makes sense, a lot of members have been posting photos like that, trying to throw people off and what not. -_-

FinTomcat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FinTomcat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:08 pm

back as far as they can go is called "oversweep" and it is used just like any other Navy fighter's folding wings for maximizing carrier space.
Tally Ho

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:35 pm

When in doubt.... pictures tell it all.

Sometimes this can happen too....LOL!!

Last edited by Beeavision on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CessnaDriver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CessnaDriver » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:42 pm

It's like it's waving HOWDY! :lol:

stv9000
Corporal
Corporal

Post by stv9000 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:53 pm

If anyone is intrested only modex 200 and 201 only has this paint scheme.
After 1984 all aircraft went to tps (tactical paint scheme or low vis) with the exception of the CAG (wich is represented by most models of the f14) and one other aircraft in the squadron. I don't and never did like the “clown paint” as we called it. It does not represent the everyday hardworking fleet bird that went into combat.

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:15 pm

What the heck is a "cag"?

DEVGRU
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DEVGRU » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:59 pm

iflabs wrote:What the heck is a "cag"?
Commander Air Group
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

jedimech
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jedimech » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Can anyone enlighten me on the difference in the colour of the box used to contain the bird?
What is the white box means? Standard bird??
What is the black box means? AWH version??
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu10 ... C14Og_.jpg
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu10 ... 62CTY5.jpg

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:59 pm

The black box is for the standard and lighted versions. The white box was used for the photo as a production sample. Notice it does not have any lettering or logo designs on the box. Also the F-14 inside the white box is the beautiful pre-production model, hand painted without spots.

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:59 pm

double post!

jedimech
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jedimech » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 pm

oic....thanks for the explaination!! :D

YT
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by YT » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Here are a couple pics of my finished pilots. I know they aren't 100% accurate, but no one will no when it is hanging from the ceiling! I will try to get some better pictures this weekend along with some of my repainted plane.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:28 am

Great looking pilots! Nice use of the GI Joe figures, vest, helmet, and the XD German O2 mask :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 am

Has anyone managed to open the 3 doors of the access ladders? Mine can't be opened, or at least I'm too stupid to...
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

CessnaDriver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CessnaDriver » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:29 am

fightin wrote:Has anyone managed to open the 3 doors of the access ladders? Mine can't be opened, or at least I'm too stupid to...
On mine...
One flops open too easy.
One needs a ltitle prying to get open.
The large one needs alot of prying, fingernail isnt' enough.
A small screwdriver was necesssary.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 am

Has anyone figured out what that broken piece is that has come in several of the members' Tomcats? The one that looks a "T" that is grey and stretched 3 dimensionally about 1/2 inch?

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 am

Black Lion VF-213 wrote:Has anyone figured out what that broken piece is that has come in several of the members' Tomcats? The one that looks a "T" that is grey and stretched 3 dimensionally about 1/2 inch?

I bet that they are part of the ladder steps. Check them out.

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

Incredible Engineering - Let's turn the tide on this kitty!!

Post by deankleines » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:32 am

Ok all you F-14 lovers...

I am preparing to super detail my JSI F-14 and have already taken steps to rebuild the nose strut for strength and additional authenticity.

This morning, I decided to try and remove the radar bulkhead to see what was inside and if I could easily separate the fuselage halves for detailing the cockpit.

I first had to use a razor saw to cut off the nose camera pod.

Then, I used a large flat bladed screw driver to pry out the locking tab on the refuling probe side of the radar bulkhead.

Ok, now the reveal!!!

When I looked inside to see how this bird was put together, I was dumbstruck at the quality of the engineering!!!!!!

Incredible!!!!!

For anyone who has not decided to buy one of these, and you really had your heart set on it, but were turned off by all the reported quality issues,
I say buy now!!!!

Everything on this bird can be fixed if need be.

We need to really encourage JSI to continue, not fall back.

Everything in life has start-up problems!!!!

Please e-mail me if you have questions.

This has been the modeling highlight of my entire life!!!

Thank you JSI!!!
Dean Kleines

[email protected]

c44588
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c44588 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:02 am

Say WHAT!?! :shock:

$250 during a world wide recession for a 'baited and switched' spotted monstrosity that collapses sponaneously under its own weight, hit and miss labeling, poorly matched gear scale, misaligned vertical stabilizeers, parts that dont do what they were meant to do or which are broken off or missing altogether, etc, etc...hardly an 'engineering masterpiece'...and poorly assembled to be sure.

And then to top it all off, the manufacturers/distributors tell you aggressively... 'Screw You Sucker'... when you meekly ask for help/exchange/refund.....

The ONLY way to get a better (or should I say minimally acceptable), product is to hold sellers accountable. And if by doing that they say screw you and stop marketing this junk, I say so be it....To paraphrase the Italian soldier in the Bogart Classic 'Sahara' when confronted by the Nazi..."Must I kiss the hand that beats me, must I lick the boot that kicks me? Non; I say Non!" Viva La Revolutione

"But thats just me, and I could be wrong...." Tyler Durden; Fight Club

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

My Opinion

Post by deankleines » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:54 am

I have stated my opinion based upon the facts of my expeience with this product

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

I would like to talk with JSI directly

Post by deankleines » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:56 am

Can anyone provide a contact?

glcanon
Corporal
Corporal

Post by glcanon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 am

deankleines.... you want to contact JSI directly? Or Merit? Good luck. Aiken's is trying to get refund for me, they are not optimistic that Merit or JSI will do anything or stand behind their product. Aiken's ordered the max allotment too.

You want to buy mine? If you wanna buy my special edition with these "minor" issues that can be "easily" fixed, I'm only asking you pay what I paid... $299.99 + $15 shipping. Actually, I'll discount it, you only pay $299.99 How's that?

I think all other JSI vendors still hv them in stock. What does that tell you?

Are you guys all waiting for discount? Here's your chance for a discounted special edition -- buy mine! It's presently with TKO awaiting re-paint. I told him not to bother. I'd rather hv my money back from the retailer or someone more modeling-inclined than myself.

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:55 am

glcanon,

You do have a strong point.

I have conflicted feelings about the JSI F-14. I love the size and detail, however I wasn't thrilled with having to repaint the entire plane, and now I am vexed that I have to fix two rear landing gears!!

If this were a kit, expectations would be different. Scratch building, and detailing is something from the wonderful world of modeling. There is a lot of potential for modelers and this F-14.

However, the F-14 wasn't sold as a kit, rather as a collectable. A finished product. In the diecast world this is more clear... you don't buy a collectable from say Franklin mint, or corgi expecting to have to rebuild or repaint. In fact repainting or "fixing" them could kill all resell value.

If JSI continues to market these as $200+ finished collectables, with limited runs they need to ensure that the product is quality. That means no erroneous black spots over the entire air frame and landing gears that can actually support the weight of the plane. (for those of you who haven't had landing gear trouble yet... give it a couple months!)

c44588
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c44588 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:59 am

I think with that sales pitch and by encouraging us to buy this excellent example of Chinese/third world engineering and craftmanship...DK must have a few to sell himself....

I wish JSI had gone the extra mile and really had these things properly made using the most excellent workforce available to it in either India or VietNam...or Somalia.

Maybe next time.

For my $250, they sent me junk, and then refused to refund my money. VERY UNCOOL!

As far as a JSI contact, just write to the ChiComm delegation at the United Nations in New York. They'll know what to do with your inquiry.

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

I'm outa here!

Post by deankleines » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:30 pm

I am thankful I have it. Only paid $209 bucks for it.
Engineering is perfect! I am an engineer by the way.

On to modeling!

By the way, I only bought one.