JSI---figures optional

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

JSI---figures optional

Post by dragon53 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:04 am

From Badcat's blog:

First JSI Offerings Will Arrive Sans Figs

The 1:18 F4U, P-38, and Panther tanks arriving from new player JSI will NOT have any action figures included. In what may be the beginning of a future trend, the costly figures will have to be purchased separately.

I know from 2nd-hand experience that the logistics of marrying the action figure(s) to the plane or tank has always been problematic. The figures are normally manufactured at a different plant then shipped to the airplane or tank's plant for final assembly into the product packaging. Figures arriving early or worse, delayed figures would put everything behind schedule. Too many figures or not enough figs invites waste and inefficiency. A broken figure at retail could lead to the entire product being returned. (Yes, we once had a P-51 returned because the figure had two left hands--infuriating, to say the least). Admiral was bombarded with complaints because its F-86 came with a figure that looked better suited to driving an ice cream truck. Put simply, the 1:18 manufacturers view figures as one big headache.

. . . so JSI left them out.

Not to worry, Bad Cat has a solid supply of brand new surplus F4U and P-38 pilot figures. And we've lowered the price down to $4.99 so the folks aren't pinched too badly in these tough times. Besides, your plane's got to have a pilot, doesn't it?

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:11 am

We need more MODERN pilots. I've never seen modern pilots sold separately anywhere other than ebay and even then only occassionally. I don't mind getting the pilots as an option, but the option should be there. One of the nice draws of 1/18 scale is that it is "GI JOE" size, so figures can actually be "used/posed" with the aircraft.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:41 am

I agree we need the pilots. The planes are a lot more fun with them. Now I'm thinking I should track down some of those GI Joe 25th Anniv. sets with the pilots. The Ace figure could be customized into a passable modern fighter pilot... I also have a couple other customizing tricks up my sleeve as well, but at the very least will simply use my BBI F-18 and F-16 pilot in the F-14. That will be so huge I will only be able to disply it or one of the other jets by itself. A stored jet does not need a pilot.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:52 am

I would not have ordered any of my 1:18 Planes if they did not come with pilots. The reason, I started collecting 1:18 is for the realistic soldier figures. It's would be nice if BBI would step-upto the plate and offered some quality carded pilots.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:19 am

i agree.....i think pilot/tanker figures are an essential part of the plane or tank. To have to order seperately is a nuisance and an extra expense, on top of a much higher price tag than we're used to.

I wonder if this will hurt sales or not?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:22 am

yup[ i needs a pilot!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:38 am

JSI scenario:

1. F-14 Tomcat--$250
2. Two optional pilots--$20
3. Shipping for huge F-14
Total--about $300

1. F-15 Strike Eagle--see above

1. SU-27 Flanker--see above

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:41 am

I really don't care about the pilot figures. All my planes are displayed without the pilots. In fact, I have a big bag full of pilot figures.
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:14 pm

I know of a customizer on this board who can cast modern fighter pilots:) But there are kits at Hobby Lobby for casting, pretty expensive kits but you dont have to limit yourself to just making pilots. On the other hand, you could cast the pilots, sans painting, and put em on ebay and recoup your initial investment.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:25 pm

After seeing this fig Image

I'll pass on JSI figs until i see better figures from them.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:11 pm

on the other hand JSI could put pilots in with the planes since they're charging $200++ a pop..

ParatrooperCarbine
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ParatrooperCarbine » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:22 pm

I can't say I understand why the new JSI tank repaint is so much more than it was from 21C. It looks just the same, mold-wise. Is that right?

And now there's no tanker with it... unfortunate.

But I very much see their reasoning. Waste, returned planes because pilots aren't quite right... that would irritate me too.

norman888
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by norman888 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:13 pm

Do you collect figures and look for vehicles to put them in...or do you collect vehicles and don't care about figures??

I come from aircraft scale modeling so missing figures don't bother me a bit.

Some of you can honestly say that you would not have bought any of these 1/18 aircraft/armor if they did not come with pilots/crew????? :shock: Sounds to me like you are figure collectors looking for a way to display them.

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CENT-ONE » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:47 pm

norman888, I'd say that I collect both figures and vehicles together. I'm pretty much just into ground based stuff but part of the enjoyment is the ability to create dioramas so having the figures is essential. Having the plane sitting on a shelf for display is one thing but I know a lot of people like to display their planes hanging from the ceiling as if "in flight". This just looks silly without a pilot.

(although it would be pretty cool to pick up a Wonder Woman figure and just hang her from fishing line in a sitting position... :wink: )
Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm definitely a figure collector 1st. The Vehicles are there to flesh out my dios. How many Tanks, Aircraft, and AT-ATs can you fit in the average collectors hobby space

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Maybe y'all can hit up the guy who bought 80 pilots from the Monkey. :shock:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:24 pm

i stiil would have bought the planes and tanks without figures. BUT at the prices JSI is charging, they should include figures. If they don't want to, then lower the price several dollars. Afterall, since they are no longer incurring the cost themselves, experiencing delays waiting for figures, will have fewer product returns and are getting greater efficiency, they can now afford to drop the price.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:16 am

Stug45 wrote:After seeing this fig Image

Their repaints of the figures scare/concern me.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:17 am

Its the Cobra Organization in their early years.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:50 am

Dauntless wrote:Maybe y'all can hit up the guy who bought 80 pilots from the Monkey. :shock:
Like I said before there are NO MODERN PILOTS out there. Monkey depot only had the WWII pilots. Several places sell the WWII pilots separately.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:49 am

VMF115 wrote:

Its the Cobra Organization in their early years.

I will pass also

I jus want them for the bodys
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:57 am

cornbreadfred wrote:I really don't care about the pilot figures. All my planes are displayed without the pilots. In fact, I have a big bag full of pilot figures.
Only some of my planes have pilots ... when opening and assembling any new 1:18 vehicle, I'm first and far most interested in the vehicle. After it has been out for a bit, I sometimes work in the pilot / driver.

I kinda figured that pilots / drivers would be scarce one day, so I've been hording the MD pilots (now gone) and before that the KBToys (none around here anymore) $3 tankers.

Pa Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Pa Deuce » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:24 pm

"Rolf!... you'll never be one of them!!"
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z144/b_daddyj/F-14.gif[/img]

pcb122605
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pcb122605 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:28 am

Fritzkrieg wrote:I'm definitely a figure collector 1st. The Vehicles are there to flesh out my dios. How many Tanks, Aircraft, and AT-ATs can you fit in the average collectors hobby space
Same here. I need some vehicles so I have somewhere to put the figures. Otherwise, its bunch of soldiers standing on a shelf.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Does any one know when the german figures are coming out??
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.