Skyworks Toys P-40E

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Skyworks Toys P-40E

Post by donnieboy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:36 pm

Jack Plonka has posted actual pix of the first three completed versions of the new Skyworks Toys P-40E. I find them to be truly stunning, but dont take my word for it . Go to www.Skyworkstoys.com and see for yourself. A picture is worth a thousand words. :o
Go Starbuck!

killoff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by killoff » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Agreed, very awesome work, but after the fiasco w/ Pickelhube, AND their prices I doubt I will be buying anything from them. Maybe I'm the only one, I doubt it. But outstanding work none the less.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:40 pm

killoff wrote:Agreed, very awesome work, but after the fiasco w/ Pickelhube, AND their prices I doubt I will be buying anything from them. Maybe I'm the only one, I doubt it. But outstanding work none the less.
Yep,

My stuff is still not here and still no help from jack.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:14 pm

donnieboy you can stop being jack's shill now.....it's getting truly tiresome.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Wow, that is beautiful work, always like the look of the P-40E Warhawk.
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:20 pm

killoff wrote:Agreed, very awesome work, but after the fiasco w/ Pickelhube, AND their prices I doubt I will be buying anything from them. Maybe I'm the only one, I doubt it. But outstanding work none the less.
I know i wont
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Nice.

This is the one JSI should be retooling-releasing for us poor people.
So many different schemes they could do in every theatre. More choices than the earlier B.

DropTank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Skyworks Toys P-40E

Post by DropTank » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:18 am

donnieboy wrote: A picture is worth a thousand words. :o
Actions speak louder than words. I'll pass.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:05 am

Jack did a great job fer sure, but I prefer the old AVG P-40 B/C tomahawk over the Warhawk, plus mine is WAY more detailed than Skyworks....(& I'll show ya how to do it for free.)
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 am

I see he's working on the Tony, just as was said...hmmm
What's next a Stuka mod? :roll:

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:38 am

Man, that sure is a nice looking P-40, but $725????? :shock: No offense, but is it just me or has Skyworks been raising their prices lately? No way I could justify that kind of cash for a 1/18 display piece. Watch, they will release a P-39 soon for $1,000. Now that would be a kick straight to the nuts for me. :lol:

P47faninchicago
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P47faninchicago » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:48 pm

every time I see Skyworks in a post I cringe because I KNOW it just starts up the whole slamfest again. Man, I hope this stops. Uh, oh! I've done the unforgiveable-I wrote the word "skywork" in my own post. Now I've done it.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:07 pm

YUP!!!! :lol:

Is slamming skyworks (although they make great models!) considered politics :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:31 am

Skyworks is the new ball of the playground. Because we like something else to kick around now that 21st is dead.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:49 am

GooglyDoogly wrote:Skyworks is the new ball of the playground. Because we like something else to kick around now that 21st is dead.
No cause Jack screwed one of our own, that is why there is some hostilities towards him on this board...

Jack has also not tired to make the situation better.

I don't think skyworks will be in business in 5 years from now.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:55 am

VMF115 wrote:
GooglyDoogly wrote:Skyworks is the new ball of the playground. Because we like something else to kick around now that 21st is dead.
No cause Jack screwed one of our own, that is why there is some hostilities towards him on this board...

Skyworks has been kicked around even before that because of the high prices of his models.

The picklehaube/jack-thing just added a good excuse or reason to pile on him.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:09 am

GooglyDoogly wrote:
VMF115 wrote: No cause Jack screwed one of our own, that is why there is some hostilities towards him on this board...

Skyworks has been kicked around even before that because of the high prices of his models.

The high price was one thing but screwing over some one on this board is another, lets not forget about the threats that Jack make to the owner and to the the moderator on this board.

I am sure Jack will find enough buyers for his creations in the short run but with his business mentality and lack of consideration to his vender's "and yes picklehaube was a vendor" I don't see him staying in business very long after.

lets see Piss poor communication with your vendor, ie picklehaube , poor customer service, picklehaube and lets see that guy who had a custom F-16 thunder-bird painted up by JACK where he screwed up the paint job and lost the tail to his F-16.... Have any of these people been reimbursed for there trouble as of yet?

He violated the trust of many of the board members here. and I consider most here my friends and I don't like my friends getting hurt.

GooglyDoogly I don't even want to see you hurt and even though we have our difference I value your input and ideas. :wink: 8)

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:32 am

VMF115 wrote:
GooglyDoogly wrote: Skyworks has been kicked around even before that because of the high prices of his models.

The high price was one thing but screwing over some one on this board is another, lets not forget about the threats that Jack make to the owner and to the the moderator on this board.

I am sure Jack will find enough buyers for his creations in the short run but with his business mentality and lack of consideration to his vender's "and yes picklehaube was a vendor" I don't see him staying in business very long after.

lets see Piss poor communication with your vendor, ie picklehaube , poor customer service, picklehaube and lets see that guy who had a custom F-16 thunder-bird painted up by JACK where he screwed up the paint job and lost the tail to his F-16.... Have any of these people been reimbursed for there trouble as of yet?

He violated the trust of many of the board members here. and I consider most here my friends and I don't like my friends getting hurt.

GooglyDoogly I don't even want to see you hurt and even though we have our difference I value your input and ideas. :wink: 8)
Oh I know. Jack really did a number on pickle. There's no excusing a bad business practice like that.

All I'm saying is that in the past, before the pickle incident, for every one praise we see about a Skywork model, we see two or three that complains about its prices. So it's a safe thing to say that Skyworks has been kicked around then.

But now, the kickball game is more justified. :P

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:37 am

GooglyDoogly, IMHO

I think its a knew jerk reaction to the high prices we all would have like to get some of his stuff. but since many of us on here are on a limited budget we can not partake..and we I know myself felt left out. as I am sure many others have too.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:47 pm

The bottom line for me is he charges $700 for a 1/18 display model. Personally, I don't see the value for that price considering my income. From what I have seen on his website he does excellent work, I'm just not able to pay those prices. I'm not kicking him around, I just think his stuff is to expensive. I complain about the price of the new Corvette ZR-1 as well. Is it awesome? Yes! Do I want one? Yes!! Do I wish I could afford one? Yes!!! Can I afford one? NO!!!! Am I suck with a Mustang GT? YES!!!!! :( I know you can't compare a $100,000 sports car to a $700 model airplane, but the same principle applies. As far as his dealings with Picklehaube, that's between him and Picklehaube. I will admit that whole issue makes Skyworks look bad, real bad, but until Jack makes things right with Picklehaube what else are we supposed to think? Most of what has been posted about Skyworks is fact and not fiction. I just don't see how stating facts can be considered kicking Skyworks around. Just my opinion .

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:25 am

That's a shame. I could really use an "E" model for my North Africa collection. Maybe JSI will see fit to do a retool.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Pa Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Pa Deuce » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Airacobra wrote:The bottom line for me is he charges $700 for a 1/18 display model.
says it all - what he makes is 1/18th but it's not in the same universe of a consumer product - he's a custom model builder (even though the P-51B wing is wrong), with unknown overhead, charging based on exclusivity... wouldn't get a dime of my money
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z144/b_daddyj/F-14.gif[/img]